• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

newish in LA

moosnsqrl

Actually I don't know exact opening dates but I think these are all less than a year old. I have only 2 dinners and 1 lunch and want to use them judiciously. Please let me know good or bad experiences at any of them. TIA.

Naya

Meson G

Chloe

Capo Cafe

Beechwood

Table 8

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Naya =excellent food in a beautiful room. Scotter Canter is doing classic french/ american dishes with class. Superb wine list and good service.

Chloe= two excellent chefs one with a real flair for seasonal the other a purest for execution. Food is always solid with good service and has a lock on the PDR crowd. Good wine list with good stemware

Meson G = Have not been but I love Tims food so if he is doing here what he has done formerly at Whist and currently at Aubergeine(sp) it should be great

Capocafe = have not been

Table8 = its a bit of a "seen" with lots of Armani black tee shirts but if you get past all that the kitchen has top flight food with top flight ingredients. You can taste it. Bar scene also

Beechwood= Only started full menu a week ago or so ,have not been. Brooke has real skill so it should be good.

Not on your list but one of my favorite LA places is the former Bistro 21 now called Kinkichi(sp) nothing changed except the name. Call a few days ahead and request a chefs menu. Our last one was amazing and chef Ko match our wines ( white and red Burgundy) to a tee. The place is tiny so res a must . Caviar, snails,pheasant,kobe beef,lobster,sweetbreads, halibut w/ white truffle rissoto. Not in that order

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I can now add Beechwood

We had a great meal with a couple of things from the bar menu that were real tasty and a steak dinner and the double cut pork chop. It was all done just right with crisp service in a full and busy and loud dining room. All the ingredients were top notch from the sweet breakfast radishs in the salad to the fine dry aged beef. All the sides were perfect match to the food as well. Huge portions and very comfy setting . Large tables not too close together and big comfy booths that will easily seat six. Well worth a visit and seeing how they are newly opened there were no glitches, all went smooth.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Of those you mentioned, I've only visited Table 8 myself. They seem to be actively seeking out less common ingredients like nettles and cuttlefish, but using them with good restraint. Perhaps even a little too much restraint - IMHO, there didn't seem to be much experimentation or risk taking. While I enjoyed my meal there, and would definitely go again, Table 8 didn't rise to the top of my list for a revisit.