• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kershaw Shun Knives

Megaroo

I personally think it's a good idea to learn the skill. It doesn't really take long to get the hang of it. I personally use whetstones and have so since day 1 so I'm definately partial to them and praising the benefits to them. The biggest benefit I believe is flexibility. Don't ask me to compare and contrast because I won't be able to without doing some research. Regarding the Edge Pro though, I've never used it so I can't really comment but I too have heard good things so it certainly is an option. I do know that with Japanese knives and their very acute angles, the sides could get scuffed up. That's what I heard anyway. Takeda's bevels are pretty acute but it's your knife so you can do whatever you want to it when you sharpen. But then you'd be changing one of the things that makes his knives so appealing. You could go to the knife forums listed below and look around, maybe even sign up and post too. Your questions will get answered pretty quickly.

FF Cutlery Forum

KF Knife forums

Also, a new line of stainless knives just became available to the public today as a matter of fact that are very high-end and worth a look if you're on the fence about SS v. carbon. Go HERE.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Bob,

Been doing some reading at those two forums and it seems that some people have had trouble with bent knives from Takeda. I think I read that you even had a problem with one of them. Is this something to be worried about, especially with a 270+ mm knife?

Also, have you seen any problems with f&f on your Takedas? I know that one person had a fairly major issue that didn't seem to be handled well by the company.

Any info would be great. I am falling in love with that knife, but want to be cautious.

Best,

Alan

Alan, the knife I had was the double beveled yanagiba. The knife is made thin and was supposed to be somewhat flexible like a sujihiki (which is essentially what it was). I knew about this flexibility and I tested it and I bent the knife. Freaked me out at first but I just bent it back and didn't do it again. It's a very thin knife that was probably 2mm or less in thickness at the handle. There was nothing wrong with it. My gyuto is 100% perfect. Not one thing wrong. Not flexible either. Matter of fact I ordered a 240mm and got a 255mm. The yanagiba I had was to be 300mm but was 312mm. He used to do that with all his knives...give an extra 15mm of knife. Don't know if he still does this though.

The couple of people who did get bad knives got them from Takeda in that condition. Don't know what happened, don't know why Takeda was having a problem with the complaints. Could've been mishandled by the shipping people as I seriously doubt a knife with a significantly bent tip would go out Takeda's door. He's been around for many years and frankly those were the only complaints based on craftsmanship that I've heard. He makes many knives on a regular basis and to have just a few slip through the cracks would not be an issue for me. If I had the need, I would buy more from him. I almost bought a Nakiri (just because I want one) and am not concerned about those few isolated issues affecting my purchase.

My only concern is that your knife that will be made with a specially requested profile will not be to your liking. Whether it be too wide, too flat or you don't like the traditional handle. Nothing related to quality but just to whether or not you like using the knife. We can talk about how great the craftsmanship is, how great the steel is, how freakishily sharp it can get but if you don't like the way it feels it's all moot. Talk to me before you place your order about what to say that might make your special request clearer to them.

Here are a few pics of my gyuto that may help in your decision to pull the trigger. The first two were taken when I first got the knife about a year and a half ago. The last two were taken last month. I think his knives are just plain beautiful. I love them.

gallery_22252_4789_48085.jpeg

gallery_22252_4789_45296.jpeg

gallery_22252_4789_105106.jpeg

gallery_22252_4789_36123.jpeg

Over at KF, I heard about another brand called Moritaka. They look similar to Takeda in terms of finish and the metal that is used. How would you say these differ?

By the way, thank you for the above post. It does make me feel much better after some of what I read yesterday.

Best,

Alan

I've never seen Moritaka so I can't really comment. From what one of the guys over there said, they're probably pretty close. Not sure if the AS version uses an octagon handle or a round handle. I would prefer the former.

Another option for Takeda's knives are HERE. They have a 265mm available and what you see is what you get which eliminates any concern about quality. I'm fighting back the urge to get the Nakiri.

I've never seen Moritaka so I can't really comment.  From what one of the guys over there said, they're probably pretty close.  Not sure if the AS version uses an octagon handle or a round handle.  I would prefer the former.

Another option for Takeda's knives are HERE.  They have a 265mm available and what you see is what you get which eliminates any concern about quality.  I'm fighting back the urge to get the Nakiri.

I'm not that worried about ordering from Takeda. The semi-custom nature of the knives is worth the seemingly very small risk of having something be "off."

I still haven't seen anything that I like better.

Best,

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
Well?  Did you get one?  I see there's one on ebay right now which is rare.  New and unused too!  Reasonable price too!

Not yet. I'm planning on it, but am still saving up my pennies. I'll keep you updated.

Best,

Alan

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Bob,

Well over a year after we last talked, I'm finally ready to get that Takeda. However, when I go to the link with which you had supplied me, the online catalog link isn't working:

http://shop.niimi.okayama.jp/kajiya/en/index_e.html

Do you know if they have stopped selling overseas, or do you think that this is a website glitch?

By the way, I'm now feeling, after paying more attention to my own knife skills and preferences that a fairly flat blade would be completely acceptable, and even preferable. The photos of your Takeda above, is that with "extra belly" or is that the standard shape?

Best,

Alan

Hi Bob,

Well over a year after we last talked, I'm finally ready to get that Takeda.  However, when I go to the link with which you had supplied me, the online catalog link isn't working:

http://shop.niimi.okayama.jp/kajiya/en/index_e.html

Do you know if they have stopped selling overseas, or do you think that this is a website glitch?

Did you scroll down to the bit that says

We are working on renewing our on line catalog.

If you prefer receiving our new brochure, please click "Brochure".

Please e-mail us your order of item/items, your name, address and phone number to place an order.

I think that means it will come back when they're done, and in the meantime, you can use the brochure to order. They also give a link to a US-based source.

Did you scroll down to the bit that says
We are working on renewing our on line catalog.

If you prefer receiving our new brochure, please click "Brochure".

Please e-mail us your order of item/items, your name, address and phone number to place an order.

I guess I didn't. Thanks for pointing that out.

Alan, Arizona custom knives dot com is very expensive and you may be waiting for a while to get a knife you want in stock. I suggest sending Takeda an email and tell him what you want. They should come back with a quote within a day or so. Be sure to specify AS as the steel type.

My gyuto was with extra belly. Their standard gyuto is more flat like you desire.

Alan, Arizona custom knives dot com is very expensive and you may be waiting for a while to get a knife you want in stock.  I suggest sending Takeda an email and tell him what you want.  They should come back with a quote within a day or so.  Be sure to specify AS as the steel type.

My gyuto was with extra belly.  Their standard gyuto is more flat like you desire.

Bob,

Thanks. I emailed them just now. Unfortunately, based on the brochure, it seems that prices might have gone up considerably since a year ago, but either way, I'm sure that the knife will be worth the price.

Best,

Alan