• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patchogue, LI, NY

ghostrider

Does anyone have anything to suggest?

I'm looking for places within walking distance of the train station, if such places exist. Would prefer a good pizza/Indian/Thai joint to "fine dining."

Any advice on the lay of the land (is this a town where we're likely to be pummeled by the Baseball Bat Gang?) would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Jeff, are you sure all of Patchogue is so dangerous and worthless? I didn't get that impression on a short visit. I did get the impression that there are good informal Latin eateries there. Sorry I can't name any places, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

If it's so bad, how does the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts stay in business?

Is the Theatre in a vastly different area from the train station? They're 5 blocks apart according to the Theatre website.

Friend of mine is running a show there (at the Theatre, not the train station) next month. Nobody's driving, that's why I'm asking about the train station area.

My friend is plannng on taking the LIRR to Patchogue & a cab from there to his hotel in Holtsville the day before. Are you telling me that that's a bad idea? If so, is there a better town from which one can get to Holtsville?

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

I do apologize if my comment was too gruff. I really haven't been to Patchouge in quite a while. I really don't know of anywhere that is woth mentioning for dinner in the area. Years ago the South Shore restaurant on the corner of Rte. 112 and Lincoln (just north of Sunrise hwy) was one of THE places to eat on the Island. I hear it's still there, but of course under different ownership. There was a brew pub in town a few years ago (brickhouse?) Good luck and let me know of your success.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I do apologize if my comment was too gruff. I really haven't been to Patchouge in quite a while. I really don't know of anywhere that is woth mentioning for dinner in the area. Years ago the South Shore restaurant on the corner of Rte. 112 and Lincoln (just north of Sunrise hwy) was one of THE places to eat on the Island. I hear it's still there, but of course under different ownership. There was a brew pub in town a few years ago (brickhouse?)  Good luck and let me know of your success.

When I lived in the area 35 years ago the saying was that although you are 45 geographical miles from NYC, culturally you are 500,000 miles away. In talking with friends still there I'm afraid it's still true. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Sadly, winesonoma, I agree with you 100%. I grew up on the Island and it is a culinary wasteland. Mirabelle in St. James is one of the few "bright spots" I can think of. I'm sure there are other places, but you are pretty much on the money.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Downtown Patchogue seemed OK, though the climate yesterday wasn't conducive to strolling around. An easy 3-block walk from the train station.

Food at The BrickHouse Brewery was ordinary & passable, but the selection of house-brewed beers was stellar. You're probably better off with burgers than entrees if you're going to eat there; but if you're a beer aficionado, the place is definitely worth a visit.

Further east on Main Street there's a place called Trio which seems to be kind of upscale; it didn't have the right vibe for yesterday so I didn't even look at their menu.

I found these websites helpful in finding options, though their listings aren't necessarly up to date (e.g., the tea shop Proprietea has become Sandals Cafe).

LongIsland.com

Eat Out Long Island

It was an enjoyable day. I get a kick out of how the relatively new Secaucus Junction station in Jersey makes for virtually seamless train connections that get you in to Penn Station & out to eastern LI in about two hours total. No traffic headaches, no tunnels & bridges to navigate.

Not that I know what would draw me back out there again, but it's nice to know that it can be done.

It was an enjoyable day.  I get a kick out of how the relatively new Secaucus Junction station in Jersey makes for virtually seamless train connections that get you in to Penn Station & out to eastern LI in about two hours total.  No traffic headaches, no tunnels & bridges to navigate.

Thank you for your report. I really don't feel as if I live in a culinary wastelend or half-a-million miles from culture, but, maybe that's me.

I would like to add something about your comment on transportation. Recently, I found myself at JFK Terminal #4 at about 1:30 AM, trying to find a ride home to Suffolk County. My brother always tells me to call at anytime, day or night. He'll wake up his wife and send her. I demured and called a local, "classic" service from a transportation kiosk. They told me that they had no service till 4:30 AM. When I asked what I could do, the dispatcher told me to sit there and call back at 4:30 AM. One of the airport denizens tried to sell me a ride to my destination for $133.13. Hell.... a limo ride only costs $70. I politely asked him to cop a mope. I hadn't flown into JFK (been using EWR and LGA) in a while and I was unaware of the Airtrain. Got a brochure. Read the rules. Went upstairs. Got on a train. Was in Jamaica in 15 minutes. A delightful LIRR employee (should have got her name..... really a pleasure) showed me how to use the machine to pay for my ride on the Airtrain and the LIRR with my credit card. Caught the 2:06 AM to Babylon. Taxi ride to the door. I was home at 3:00 AM for under $15.

Check out the Airtrain. It's free to go from terminal to terminal at the airport and only $5 to go to the LIRR at Jamaica, Queens. There are other connections, but they didn't interest me.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Nice to hear about the Airtrain. Newark Airport recently opened a station on the NJ Transit NE Corridor / Coast lines (& gives you a free monorail ride out to the station), where 4 trains an hour will zip you into NYC Penn Sta for about $11.

Noting Quito on your bio. On my way back to the train in Patchogue after dinner, I passed an Ecuadorian restaurant on Ocean Ave. that looked intriguing (& hadn't shown on any of my web searches, of course). Unfortunately we'd walked up a different street to get into town or we might have stopped right there.

I'm sure LI isn't a wasteland once you get to know the place. Much like Jersey. :biggrin:

Edited by ghostrider (log)