• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hunting for Mushrooms in Morel Season

B Edulis

That link is a real find. Thanks, Mudpuppie.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Morels usually grow where there is moist ground, fallen trees, and freeze-thaw cycles in the spring. I have a good spot in NE where I typically harvest 7-8 pounds in a late-morning/afternoon in late April or early May. I usually look for a period where there has been some frost and precip followed by 4 or 5 (or so) days of nice warm weather.

Individual mileage may vary.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I do a lot of mushrooming in SW Oregon, but mostly in the fall and for chanterelles. That's not morel country, which is further to the east in the Cascades. However, I do a lot of reading and remember that morels seem to appear in larger numbers in areas that have experienced forest fires in the previous year or two. Even areas that have been logged and burned off make good spots for the year or two after the burn.

It's just as well that morels are not more readily available hereabouts, 'cause spring is garden time and I'd have a conflict if I tried to carve out 'schrooming time as well.

john

John Murren, aka Forest Gleaner

######

"Self-respect: the secure feeling

that no one, as yet, is suspicious."

H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

With so many folks gathering morels this spring, isn't there a danger of overkill; i.e., plucking them before the spores are spread?

I have heard of cultivated morels in the Pacific Northwest, also truffles, but have not seen them for sale as domesticated products.

Northwest Arkansas, that strange little micro climate that exists around Fayetteville, produces some champion mushrooms and there are some very avid hunters up there. My brother, who hunts and spends losts of time in the woods in the fall and winter, has a whole group of guys who run them down on the weekends (this is always coupled with fishing). They sell some, but end up eating most of them. He says that you can usually find them during the season at the farmers market in Fayetteville (a wonderful farmers market-complete with real farmers as opposed to resellers).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I've had the best pickings during the second day of warm sunshine after a cold rain. Quick turns of the weather from chilly to warm are a sure sign that they will be springing up.

Look for an area where downed trees are prevalent. They cluster along the rotting rootlines of downed elms (and possibly other trees). Don't just look in the immediate vicinity of an obvious stump because they may be lurking in the sprouts of fresh spring grass 20 or 30 feet away. Or there may be no visible stump at all.

Be careful looking around on private land where you don't know the owner because as one of the posters alluded, there are turkey hunters out there as well.

My most reliable spot is near Oregon, Wisconsin but I'm not going to give the exact location.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I've had the best pickings during the second day of warm sunshine after a cold rain. Quick turns of the weather from chilly to warm are a sure sign that they will be springing up.

Look for an area where downed trees are prevalent. They cluster along the rotting rootlines of downed elms (and possibly other trees). Don't just look in the immediate vicinity of an obvious stump because they may be lurking in the sprounts of fresh spring grass 20 or 30 feet away. Or there may be no visible stump at all.

Now those are valuable tips. Thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here in the Pacific Northwest we find the early true morels under cottonwoods and along river bottoms that get early sun. Latter the true morel hunting is good in areas that have been logged and then burned the following year.

In a couple of weeks we will start finding "false" morels (or verpa bohemia) under the cottonwoods. They are the first of the morels. Some people have a reaction when eating these. It is a good generalization is to always cook wild mushrooms, although - as with every rule there is an exception - I have had raw cepes in a salad in Paris.

True morels, or morchella, are about as good as you can get when sauteed in butter and put on top of fresh aspagus and toast tips with a poached egg. Add a little parmasian and a glass of white wine. Wow!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

They love to grow in areas after a fire. Tough find around here but had some success when back in CT.

Good hunting. . . don't dress like a turkey during season :shock:

PS. Anyone hear of any myclological clubs in the Charlotte, NC area?

Brian

Michigan has this perky little motto: "May is Morel Month in Michigan". Indeed it is! Damp nights followed by warm afternoons makes those buggers pop out like it's nobody's business. That would be northwest MI, up by Traverse City. I have found morel patches here where you have to get down on hands and knees to pick them, there are so many.

The Sioux City, Iowa area is also good for morels........

They tend to like deciferous trees and burn-out areas. In Michigan, they like cherry tree areas. My favorite 'shroom.......maybe tied for first place with the chanterelle. Roasted guinea hen with morel cream sauce........divine!

My sis and I hunt morels in S. Illinois, and turkey hunters are definitely a danger. To avoid "dressing like a turkey", don't wear red, white or blue in the woods--all colors quite noticeable on a turkey during breeding season. (Which means don't pull out a white hanky or kleenex to blow your nose, might get it blown off.)

Wait to hunt until you have had 3 days in a row above 65 degrees.

Soon, soon!!

sparrowgrass

My sis and I hunt morels in S. Illinois, and turkey hunters are definitely a danger. To avoid "dressing like a turkey", don't wear red, white or blue in the woods--all colors quite noticeable on a turkey during breeding season. (Which means don't pull out a white hanky or kleenex to blow your nose, might get it blown off.)

Wait to hunt until you have had 3 days in a row above 65 degrees.

Soon, soon!!

Running into turkey hunters while foraging for morels can be dangerous business. Two things:

(1) in many places, turkey hunting ends at around noon. So hunting in the afternoon is the way to go. Check local turkey hunting regulations.

(2) if you happen to see a hen turkey or two and you hear them calling, but they don't seem to be moving, chances are they are turkey decoys and there is a hunter nearby. I suggest you say something in a loud voice to let the hunter know you are there (which will piss off the hunter because the very essence of turkey hunting is stealth, you will have virtually ruined the hunt and scared off any gobblers that might have been in the vicinity). If the hunter confronts you, simply explain that you did not want to get shot accidently (keeping in mind that you now are in danger of being shot on purpose) and wanted to make sure that the hunter knew you were there and did mistake you for the turkey that he now thinks you are. The hunter will have a shotgun so remain calm.

Look for an area where downed trees are prevalent. They cluster along the rotting rootlines of downed elms (and possibly other trees). Don't just look in the immediate vicinity of an obvious stump because they may be lurking in the sprouts of fresh spring grass 20 or 30 feet away. Or there may be no visible stump at all.

Be careful looking around on private land where you don't know the owner because as one of the posters alluded, there are turkey hunters out there as well.

i went out last year for the first time - or should i say that my mentor went out with me - because i could get him onto guarded federal land and last year was a phenomenal year for all kinds of 'shrooms. joe has been gathering for 50 years and there were some HE had never seen. we came up with a few good messes and i used my portion in a sauce with filet mignon, with scrambled eggs and salmon(johnnybird has developed a taste for this), and joe taught me how to dry them.

excellent words of advice - take them. especially about watching out for the turkey hunters IF you are on private land.

hmmm...... after last weeks warmth and this week's snow i do think it may be time to take a look see :hmmm::hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Michigan has this perky little motto: "May is Morel Month in Michigan". Indeed it is! Damp nights followed by warm afternoons makes those buggers pop out like it's nobody's business. That would be northwest MI, up by Traverse City. I have found morel patches here where you have to get down on hands and knees to pick them, there are so many.

The Sioux City, Iowa area is also good for morels........

They tend to like deciferous trees and burn-out areas. In Michigan, they like cherry tree areas. My favorite 'shroom.......maybe tied for first place with the chanterelle. Roasted guinea hen with morel cream sauce........divine!

Once again, Lisa, you are right on the money. My folks have a place in Petoskey (look at the back of your left hand. Traverse City is by your pinky and ring finger, Petoskey is between your ring and middle fingers. Try doing THAT with another state).

In the spring, she has a spot. More morels than she can pick.

The nice folks at American Spoon foods also have purchased some land near where my Mom picks because it's so heavy with morels.

Tapawingo does a morel menu in May that's worth the trip for as well.

This post brought to you but the Michigan Travel bureau.

Just kidding.

Is there any other mushroom that looks like a morel, but might be poisonous? After all these tips, I need to go out and take a look around, but dont' want to make any mistakes.

Our neighbor once had a huge crop come up in his front yard....and he didn't even share. Bad neighbor. :wink:

There is a similar mushroom called 'false morel' in the guide books. It looks like an inside out morel in the pictures, tho' I have never seen one. It is apparently not poisonous but tastes bitter, or unpleasant. Morels have always been considered safe for duffers like me, who are too lazy to take a guide into the field, or take spore prints home to where the guide is!

False morels can be very poisonous but are eaten in eastern europe after extended boiling. They have lobes instead of pits and don't really look too similar. I'm going to the Pyrenees to look for morels where they grow below our village at around 1100m beneath elm and hazel. In a good year (and no year is ever as good as it used to be, according to the locals) you can collect pound upon pound of them. I've only ever found about forty (in total) in my life.

The little black morel that shows up first upsets some folks' tummies, especially if they pig out. I have also heard that they affect the enzyme that allows you to process alcohol, so you might want to watch out for that, and not drink with your meal or for about 24 hours afterwards. (Inky caps are bad for that, too.)

sparrowgrass

• 3 weeks later...

Look after a rain in a shady area, look the day after, they grow fast. I believe the rotting bark of the elm tree is a favorite spot. If you find one stay in that same place for a while and focus. If you found one there is almost certainly more around and they camoflage well. It will look as if there are none there but all of the sudden they will be popping up all over. It can be deliciously magical. Be careful to rinse sand off carefully. I don't know the proper method for cleaning them but sand in the mouth is very unpleasant. Tradition dictates that you take the location of your spot to the grave. I sometimes tell.

Is there any other mushroom that looks like a morel, but might be poisonous? After all these tips, I need to go out and take a look around, but dont' want to make any mistakes.

I also have never hunted for 'shrooms before. But it sounds like morels might be a safe one to start with. Anyone ever find them in south carolina upstate before? The weather conditions (alternating chilly rain and warm sunny days) sound about right.

We don't start finding them in my neck of the woods until late in April. It's an annual tradition for my family- for at least five generations! I like them sauteed in butter, deglazed with madiera, thickened with creme fraiche, then served with scrambled eggs and crumpets.

In bonanza years I also dry the extras- use in Beef Stroganoff or rich stews!

Edited by thursdaynext (log)

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf