• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hunting for Mushrooms in Morel Season

B Edulis

B Edulis - Are you planning on going to the hunt in NJ? (we could ride-share) This would be my first time out foraging for mushrooms period, and I need some hand-holding I think. Are the members usually helpful to newbies, or do they expect everyone to have their own guide books and be able to identify the different mushrooms for themselves? BTW - I haven't yet heard back from the walk leader from my phone message.

Jaybee -- looks like a great site, I plan to explore it further when I get the time.

Rachel, which walk are you refering to? I'm up for sharing rides. (Mushroomers are not the most punctual people in the world btw.) Also, club members do generously help newcomers -- to a point. You should have your own guidebook and make attempts at identification, but at the end of a walk, we usually find a place to spread out all the specimens and help each other id them. Also, starting in August, there are Monday night id sessions at a member's home, so you can bring your weekend finds.

Helena, I'm really careful when I gather mushrooms, and the morels we picked didn't have any grit. You can brush them off with a soft brush, like a makeup brush or a paintbrush, or you can dunk them in cool water -- but don't let them soak. In general, when you gather mushrooms, it helps to place them in your basket right side up so that the gills don't capture dirt.

Mushroom and asparagus risotto, mmmmmmmmmm......

A couple of Pacific Northwesters had lunch today at Salumi in Seattle, and they had some gorgeous fresh morels available sauteed in butter, sitting in a pool of buttery mushrooms juices that tended to trickle down your lip when you took a bite.  I should have gotten some more to go.  Dammit.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Rachel, which walk are you refering to? I'm up for sharing rides.

Since I'm interested in attending the walk at the South Mountain Reservation, and I live in NJ, I'll be driving. I would offer you a ride, but the Millburn train station is right across from where they are going to meet up. The walk leader called me back a couple of days ago. I told him that it was to be my very first time mushroom hunting, he said I shouldn't try to carry a book and a basket at the same time and that they do mushroom IDing during the lunch break (told to bring a sack lunch & water). He also told me to check with him a few days before any walk to make sure it is still on (in case of dry weather & poor mushrooming). Do you know of a handy lightweight guidebook or online guide I could bring that wouldn't be in the way (I could do a color printout of online sources). Also, do you know what kinds of mushrooms are to be found at that location then? He mentioned chicken mushrooms among others.

Just a piece of information for those mushroom pickers who might visit France and get to work on their hunting skills. If in doubt about a particular mushroom, visit a local pharmacy; the pharmacist will advise you freely and with great pleasure (at least I've never encountered a grumpy reaction).  During their studies, French pharmacists are required to take at least a one-year course in mycology, fours years if they wish to advertise themselves as certified mycologists.  

Frieda

Freida, that's very interesting. I didn't know that at all. Thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Do you know of a handy lightweight guidebook or online guide I could bring that wouldn't be in the way (I could do a color printout of online sources). Also, do you know what kinds of mushrooms are to be found at that location then? He mentioned chicken mushrooms among others.

I usually bring a guide, notebook, and knife with my basket. The small guides tend to be not so useful, but Audubon has been doing a series of mini guides you might check out, don't know if they have one on mushrooms. I have one on trees, which are also important to learn if you're serious about mushroom hunting. When I'm on walks with a club, I find myself using my notebook more than my guidebook, because other members have info worth remembering.

BTW, mushroomers say that you can sometimes identify a mushroom site because the previous hunter forgot their knife on the ground :wink:

Chicken mushrooms (sulfur shelf) often grow when it's too dry for other mushrooms. They're good if you get them young. But Otherwise, I'm not familiar with that particular piece of land.......

• 1 year later...

I haven't had much luck with 'em myself, but i can usually score a few, or am with some generous friends. I noticed they sold em at Whole Foods when i visited my dad in Greenwich for $30/lb. Here though, you have to find then. so some questions.

What kind of locations do you find them in (i find them among tree stumps, under leaves and whatnot)?

How do you cook them ( i usually dip in egg, breadcrumbs, and panfry)?

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Not able to hunt them here in California, but they are hands-down my absolute favorite mushroom.

When I get them, I often make this Pheasant and Morel Potpie from Saveur.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Yum, yum, yum!!! The mushroom which broke down my former utter aversion to mushrooms...

I myself am not a big hunter any longer (Colorado's too dry), but my dad back in Ohio is a morel-hunting FIEND. He teaches in Amish country, so he often drives down there during the spring, gets permission from various students' parents to gad about on their farmland, and generally does quite well. I'll call him and ask for his secrets if you wish - he'll give some pointers, but he won't give away the good spots.

We usually don't bother with the eggs or breadcrumbs. Just slice 'em up and saute with a little fresh butter. Heaven.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I'll report back with pointers as soon as I hear back from the man himself.... :smile:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

Not able to hunt them here in California, but they are hands-down my absolute favorite mushroom.

When I get them, I often make this Pheasant and Morel Potpie from Saveur.

Carolyn,

I may be wrong, but I think you can find them in some numbers in the Sierra come spring.

amanda

Googlista

Ah yes, the spots must remain secret of course........i was just lucky to be privy to a few. i was meaning like types of trees found near, kind of land, etc.

Look for elm trees newly dead from Dutch Elm Disease. Seems a favorite spot for morels to grow.

Ah yes, the spots must remain secret of course........i was just lucky to be privy to a few. i was meaning like types of trees found near, kind of land, etc.

Look for elm trees newly dead from Dutch Elm Disease. Seems a favorite spot for morels to grow.

Excellent! I have one of those in my front yard!

amanda

Googlista

My parents' morel hunting neighbor in Oregon will only tell us that he finds them, "Under bam trees near water." What bam trees are I don't know for sure, but I believe he means cottonwoods. He seems to always come away with a few pounds of them during the season. Luckily he was always nice enough to give us a bag or two. We also dipped them in egg, breaded them with cracker crumbs, and fried them.

Ah the tastes of childhood...

Anyway, I have tried his advice, and found a few handfuls, but never in the quantities he has brought home. I think on or around dead cottonwoods near water would be the ideal location.

(hey, my first post.)

--Ben

Talked to my dad the morel-fiend. His tips: look in woods with old trees, especially ash trees. Also apple orchards. Occasionally you will find some great takes on land that's been strip-mined and covered with brush/small trees. Morel season is from late March thru April in Ohio; I guess you'd have to adjust your hunt accordingly for different regions...

Happy Hunting!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

I have a group of guy friends in the PNW. Morel hunting is definitely a "guy thing" to them. They band together and go to their secret places. If they come back with a haul, they go to a friend's place that has a full fledged bar in the basement, cook mushrooms and drink beer. I have the distinct honor to be invited along if I am in the area during the season. They consider me "safe" since they can ship me back off to Texas with their secrets. :biggrin: Alas, I have not yet been able to arrange such a trip.

Do morels occur in Texas?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose