• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food markets in Australia and New Zealand?

The wife and I are traveling to this wonderful part of the world for the 1st 3 weeks of February, and were wondering if there are any good food markets or similar sorts of places which we should be sure not to miss. For what it's worth, we'll be visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Auckland, Queenstown and Christchurch.

Any help would be appreciated!

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

The Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne. Just ask a tram driver. The Wednesday night market there is fun, but for the full fresh food madness, arrive early in the day. Weekends are great.

The South Melbourne Market is good too, as is the Prahran Market, but the Queen Vic, as the name suggests, rules the roost.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

PCL summed up the big ones in Melbourne.

I will only add Queen Vic is supposed to be the largest in the southern hemisphere??!! Y/N? so it is an experience that is above average - for both fresh food, dry goods, and tourist souveniers.

Queen Vic webpage

and on sydney's behalf i will speak for the Pyrmont fish market. Dont forget you can have an alfresco lunch over looking the water. nice outing!

Sydney Fish Market Website

enjoy your travels!! :cool:

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

Thanks for the information!

You folks rule...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

PCL has it with all the key markets.

You could always visit some of the farmers markets - my fiancee and I do our fruit and veggie shopping at a street market in Richmond. There are farmers markets just outside of Melbourne.

It's also worthwhile taking a walk down Victoria Street in Richmond and checking out all the Asian grocery shops.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

PCL has it with all the key markets.

You could always visit some of the farmers markets -

If you are travelling around, particularly outside the capital cities check out:

Australian Farmers Markets Association Website

Otherwise the guys are right - the best markets in Australia are:

Pyrmont Fish Market (Sydney)

Queen Victoria Market (Melbourne)

Central Markets (Adelaide)

In Melbourne you can do tours of the wholesale market if you want -www.melbournemarkets.com.au

There are also good foodies guidebooks to Melbourne & Victoria & Sydney & NSW - both about $25

Happy travelling

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

new & old books about wine, food & the culinary arts bought & sold

Forgot one!!

Oceania at the Footscray Market... they supply 95% probably, of all top sushi bars/restaurants in Melbourne. Worth a visit, if only to chat to the owners.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

The City of Kingston Farmer's Market is held near Westfield Southland on the first Sat of each month. it only started last november, and yesterday was my first visit.

and i was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting you typical stalls of jams and chutneys and knit knacks, like other markets or more to the point - other craft markets.

But indeed this is a growers market. 30-40 stalls of veggies, fruit, bread meat, cheese, eggs, etc etc. i would also say it looked like almost 1/2 the stalls were organic as well. or certainly a large portion. not a couple here and there.

best thing i bought.... peaches!! my doG they are beautiful. and only $4kilo! i had peaches and blueberries with cream tonight yummmmm.

also bought corn on the cob. (had a great feed tonight)

olive oil from dimbool

honey from milawa

organic tomatoes and heritage eggplant from murchison

cryvac pasta from a gourmet shop in beaumaris

very happy and stuffed ozmouse tonight!

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

We had a fine shopping day at our street market in Richmond. We got peaches for $2/kg, blood plums for the same price, a case of mangoes for $8, new season apples straight from the tree at $2/kg, canteloupes for $1, some lovely baby zucchini - no wonder I always have a quiet chuckle when I watch people buying their fruit and vegetables at Safeway or Coles.

We had a fine shopping day at our street market in Richmond.  snip

i think i have been to the market you speak of.

I was visiting a friend who lived in burnley, and he was telling me about this fantastic market in richmond. being the brash snotty 'foodie' i said i dont know any market in richmond.... :shock:

well what a market it was!!! it is quiet the little gem that not too many people know about. well i certainly did;nt. :rolleyes:

and it sounds like great prices!!

yes is'nt it amazing what people put up with. i brought in some of the peaches to work today to 'educate' some palates and try and get these people to try abit harder....

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

yes is'nt it amazing what people put up with.  i brought in some of the peaches to work today to 'educate' some palates and try and get these people to try abit harder....

Stephanie Alexander had the issue nailed with her essay in the re-issuse of the Cooks Companion.

But I'm fairly optimistic that attitudes are changing for the better. About ten years ago, the Queen Victoria Market was struggling, but over the last five years or so, it has thrived. The number of street and farmers markets has surged, and I think that this indicates that people want to get closer to the original sources of their food. I also think that one surprising aspect of the markets is the number of young people that shop at these markets, and they do take the time to speak to the sellers about their produce. My fiancee and I love our time at the markets - we love chatting to, and learning from, the people that run our favourite stalls. Besides the great food at great prices, there is a sense of community and friendship that no supermarket could ever provide.