• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another hot Fry-Day! 4/19

Rosie

What are you doing this weekend? Tonight we are going to Sofia's in North Caldwell, tomorrow Filipo's in Somerville and I am still waiting for a phone call telling me where we are meeting friends on Sunday. And you???

Next week we are going to some charity events. Check my Food Events page. Also, next Fri. we are going to a wine dinner at Christine's in the Somerset Hills hotel. Anyone want to join us?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Looks like I'll be dining again at Orleans Creole restaurant in Highlands tonight...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Hubby's birthday was a few weeks ago, so tonight is his pick, and it is Steve's Steakhouse on

Rt. 17.  Tomorrow, we have a wedding.  I think it is at the Mayfair Farms, I have never

been there so I have no idea where it is or how it is.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

mr suzi was going up to visit family in poughkeepsie but he brought me ribs from famous dave's in minneapolis  when he was on travel and i had macaroni salad from good to go deli in rockaway - a veritable feast finished off with  a beer.

tomorrow leftovers then pasta and gravy sunday(i have to work), something mr. suzi can cook so it is ready when i get home- assuming he is home before me.  wednesday out to plaza bistro with a friend

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Well, the wedding at Mayfair Farms was a lot of fun.  The food was just OK, not great.  The cocktail hour was good their pineapple glazed chicken was very good, but the rest was just ok.  The Sea Bass for dinner was overcooked.  But, I did like the skewered vegetables and the mushroom soup.

And no Sambuca at the cordial table during dessert, BooHoo.

We had a great time at the wedding though, dancing and just talking to lots of old friends.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Rosie, my sister went to Filipo's Saturday night, too, for her 11th anniversary. My mom watched all three of her kids, and lost the three year old for over an hour....( he climbed onto the dining room chairs and was hidden by the cloth, and fell asleep) anyway,she really enjoyed it, though she thought the food was over salted a bit. She mentioned a great waitress, too...I wonder if it was the same server.

Our weekend featured one great meal, one pretty good dinner, and one bummer.

The great meal was at Baslico on Thursday.  As a side benefit of sorts, Ken forgot the wine he was planning to bring - so he wound up exploring the Wine Library as we headed ot Millburn.  He ran back to the car, two bottles of zin in hand, exclaiming, "We found another good place!"   :smile:

The meal and service at Basilico were great - glad we finally got there.  We'll surely return!

Our pretty good meal was at Thailand in Clark on Saturday.  We've had dinner there before.  Although service was as good as usual, we simply selected items we wouldn't try again.  Not that the food was bad, mind you - we've just enjoyed other previous selections better.

The bummer of the weekend was Chilli's in North Brunswick.  Again, another place we've frequented in the past; but service on Sunday was abysmal.  Food in general took longer to reach us than it should've - one soup never arrived, and a dessert showed up only after someone complained that it (and the soup) were on our bill (both were subsequently removed).  Highlight (!) of the meal was when a manager approached our table while we were waiting (and waiting) for our entrees) asking how our meal was.  One person replied, "Well, it would probably be nice if we'd get our food."  Entrees began to arrive within 5 minutes. Oh well.

Our pretty good meal was at Thailand in Clark on Saturday.  We've had dinner there before.  Although service was as good as usual, we simply selected items we wouldn't try again.  Not that the food was bad, mind you - we've just enjoyed other previous selections better.

what did you have?!?!?!  i've passed that place a million times, back in the old days when it was actually a diner, then as a chinese place, and now this.  i've always wondered what it was like.

what did you have?!?!?!  i've passed that place a million times, back in the old days when it was actually a diner, then as a chinese place, and now this.  i've always wondered what it was like.

Funny, we never recalled its earlier instances...

What did we have?  I didn't write things down this time, but as I remember, we started with Tofu Tod (fried, but not greasy, tofu wedges accompanied by a pleasant peanut sauce) and Chicken Satay (which Ken always likes).  Entrees were a beef with garlic and black pepper for me; and a spicy chicken of some sort for Ken.  He said mine was more flavorful.

What made these disappointing were the things that accompanied them.  Ken's featured carrots, mine had broccoli - the veggies each of us hate (Ken likes raw carrots, but despises cooked ones).  Granted, we could each swap veggies (and did), but it left little else to enjoy.

Like I said, no fault of the restaurant - we've simply made better selections in the past.

I don't know about this restaurant's reservation policy, but if you don't call in advance on a Saturday, best to arrive before 6 - that's when the crowd seems to stream in.

Although the food quality may be a little below Origin and Thai Kitchen (our new local favorite in Bridgewater - that's also become very popular), it's a great alternative to the places we used to frequent in Clark (The Rice Bowl, the deli, and the diner on Raritan Road

it's a great alternative to the places we used to frequent in Clark (The Rice Bowl, the deli, and the diner on Raritan Road

that's funny...i was going to actually mention that every time i drive by the thai place it's usually on the way back from the windsor diner.  actually, it's a pretty decent diner!  :smile: