• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Foie Gras Producer?

Tonyy13

I was wondering if any of our NY eG'ers could give me a hand. About two years ago, we got a knock on our back door from a gentlemen who had some foie gras that he wanted to give us. He said that he was a new producer from the upstate New York area, and that he was specializing in a more European style of foie gras, with the lobes being medium sized, much whiter, with less veins, and coming in a sort of curved shape, much fatter than the flattened Hudson Valley lobes. His foie was awesome when we tried it, but we were unable to purchas it from him because we didn't have needs in big enough quantities.

Now that we are in Central Florida, our foie gras quality has dropped considerably. It has been hard to find purveyors that do not recieve their foie frozen, and also that store it that way.

Does anyone have any info on this newcomer to the foie market? I remember that he was a small producer, and any info that you might have would be great. Thanks so much. :biggrin:

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Its not in upstate NY, but maybe Palmex is what you are thinking of:

Palmex Website

I was wondering if any of our NY eG'ers could give me a hand.  About two years ago, we got a knock on our back door from a gentlemen who had some foie gras that he wanted to give us.  He said that he was a new producer from the upstate New York area, and that he was specializing in a more European style of foie gras, with the lobes being medium sized, much whiter, with less veins, and coming in a sort of curved shape, much fatter than the flattened Hudson Valley lobes.  His foie was awesome when we tried it, but we were unable to purchas it from him because we didn't have needs in big enough quantities. 

Now that we are in Central Florida, our foie gras quality has dropped considerably.  It has been hard to find purveyors that do not recieve their foie frozen, and also that store it that way. 

Does anyone have any info on this newcomer to the foie market?  I remember that he was a small producer, and any info that you might have would be great.  Thanks so much.  :biggrin:

I think there is a place in Ferndale NY that sells foie gras. La belle ?

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Yes, La Belle Poultry has a foie gras chunk (they do other stuff). Their production methods mimic Hudson Valley's.

I think I've heard they used to be called Bobo, but I don't know the details on that.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

Yes, La Belle Poultry has a foie gras chunk (they do other stuff). Their production methods mimic Hudson Valley's.

I think I've heard they used to be called Bobo, but I don't know the details on that.

The description above sure sounds like La Belle. I have never tried to source it directly, though. I get mine from a friend who orders together with someone else.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if there are still only three U.S. producers of foie gras: Sonoma Foie Gras, La Belle Poultry, and Hudson Valley Foie Gras? I'm writing a research proposal and want to be sure my information is up to date.

Does anyone know if there are still only three U.S. producers of foie gras: Sonoma Foie Gras, La Belle Poultry, and Hudson Valley Foie Gras? I'm writing a research proposal and want to be sure my information is up to date.

Out of curiosity, which places do D'artagnan and the like get their foie gras from?

Out of curiosity, which places do D'artagnan and the like get their foie gras from?

D'artagnan sells Hudson Valley and Sonoma (you can choose) and I think they have a French one too.

They definitely sell Sonoma and Hudson Valley foie gras, and from at least one French producer. They don't appear to sell any from Labelle, but I can't say for sure that they don't. Labelle seems to sell their foie directly out of Bella Bella Gourmet Foods. I assume, but haven't confirmed yet, that they're associated with Labelle Farms.