• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PF Chang's

jim07044

Perhaps for Charlotte this is decent food, but (and I really mean this in a kind way) in northern NJ, you have so many REAL Chinese restaurants, I can't imagine why you'd go to a chain (if they even have them here)...might I suggest you hop up to China 46 for some really great food?!? The link to the C46 thread (with great pics) is here but there are plenty of other spots in northern NJ as well. Do a search at the bottom of the page for Chinese in the NJ forum and you'll see what I mean!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

the only PF Chang's I've been to is in Cleveland, several times. Cleveland is a culinary wasteland. As far as chains go, it's pretty good. there are certainly better options as curlz has pointed out.

I recommend Hunan Cottage on Route 46 East in Fairfield. Ask for the Chinese menu. This is a true Chinese experience, like China 46, but closer to our residence. However, I would take a drive to go to either of these.

Also, if you're near West New York, I recommend Oriental Garden, 14 Elizabeth Street in NYC's Chinatown. Great fresh seafood and dim sum.

I've got friends that love it, so have been quite a number of times.

First -- you have to get over any notion that you're going for Chinese. Think California/trendy/upscale/Chinese-ish.

Second -- I honestly think the dumplings are pretty good. That's all I ever get -- a selection of two or three of the dumpling choices, and there are several on the appetizer menu. And I ask the server to bring them when everyone else's meal arrives and not before. Otherwise, everyone eats all my dumplings and I have nothing for my dinner.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

PF Changs was absolutely awful! I agree with the other posts. There are good chinese restaurants in this area, not great, but good. You have to go to Manhattan or CT to get really great chinese food.

My favorite in N. Jersey is Asian Delight, West Caldwell. They have Chinese and Japanese, but concentrate mainly on Chinese. The salt and pepper shrimp and the Fruity Marty Shrimp are wonderful! They happen to make the best spicy tuna roll anywhere, too!

China 46 is also very good, but since we moved away from that part of town, it's not as convenient.

as jaymes suggests, let's not confuse PF Changs with a typical "chinese restaurant". or an "authentic" chinese restaurant. it's not. to ignore this generally accepted fact when criticizing it probably doesn't serve much purpose.

if you're looking for "authentic" chinese food, go to one or the 2 places in NJ that are actually serving it, or one of the handful of places in NYC that are actually serving that type of food. otherwise, PF Changs and its fans don't deserve any more criticism than fans of, or restaurants like, most of the places in NJ to begin with.

as jaymes suggests, let's not confuse PF Changs with a typical "chinese restaurant".  or an "authentic" chinese restaurant.  it's not.  to ignore this generally accepted fact when  criticizing it probably doesn't serve much purpose. 

A restaurant can be both Non-Authentic AND awful

as jaymes suggests, let's not confuse PF Changs with a typical "chinese restaurant".  or an "authentic" chinese restaurant.  it's not.  to ignore this generally accepted fact when  criticizing it probably doesn't serve much purpose. 

A restaurant can be both Non-Authentic AND awful

ab-so-lutely.

The PF Chang's in Marlton is constantly packed. Waits of an hour are common. I just don't get it. :huh:

Joe's Peking Duck House, right across the street, is pretty good, as is Silk & Spice, a mile or two away on Rt 70.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

The PF Chang's in Marlton is constantly packed.  Waits of an hour are common.  I just don't get it.  :huh:

Joe's Peking Duck House, right across the street, is pretty good, as is Silk & Spice, a mile or two away on Rt 70.

Not all people are food connoisseurs. Many people just like the familiarity of a chain restaurant. They like that they know the menu, it becomes "comfortable" to them. They figure that if the restaurant is all over the place that it must be good.

Also, most chain operations have a standard mode of operation. They are family friendly and provide similar ammenities to their guests.

There is an entire world of Asian food fans that cannot really tell top tier food from midgrade food. Whether or not these people will admit that fact is a separate issue. For some reason, people follow people. If they see a 30 minute wait at PF Changs, and no wait at Joe's Peking Duck House, they will think that the masses has access to some information that they do not. There must be some reason that everyone is flocking to one restaurant over the other.

More power to you, if you can find a better restaurant with a shorter wait. Consider it your good fortune. :smile:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Also, it seems that some places just get a 'name' for being stylish. And then those that want to be seen at the stylish places, and be 'in the know' have to go.

My friends that love PF Changs are there to be a part of the 'scene' as much as anything. They are young women, and the quality of the food is only a secondary reason why they dine out in any particular restaurant. There's nothing 'happening' but the food at the more authentic Chinese restaurants.

Life is short. Sip your Arizona tea or Cosmopolitan and sit back and relax and enjoy your companions.

Order the dumplings.

And think about what you'll have the next time you choose the venue.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.