• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colorado Brew Scene

Okbrewer

OK, so I'm in Longmont, CO, for business. After the drive from the Denver Airport up to Longmont, my co-worker Rich and I get settled in to our hotel rooms and then go set up our classroom. Hunger pangs hit so it's time for lunch. We head over to the Pumphouse brewpub in downtown Longmont. Lunch consisted of a Santa Fe burger for me and a Reuben sandwich for Rich. Both were very delicious. We washed them down with IPA and Amber ales, again all beers were very delicious. Following lunch we made the obligatory trek up to Fort Collins to worship at the grotto of New Belgium Brewery. We took the brief tour then bellied up to the bar for the tasting of the beers. Good sized samples of Fat Tire, Blue Paddle Pils, 1554, and Transatlantique Kriek were enjoyed. We were also treated to samples of La Folie, Bier de Mars, an IIPA that is available for tasting only at the brewery, and a blended beer that was made for the employees Christmas party, a blend of La Folie and pomegranate and raspberry juices. I didn't want to leave! But alas, Odell's Brewing beckoned! We made the short drive to Odell's and sampled just a few of their brews. (unlike New Belgium, we had to pay for the privilege of drinking at Odell's!) Ft. Collins Brewing (formerly HC Berger) called out to us, but I had a dinner invitation with an old friend so I needed to get back to Longmont.

While at my friend's house for dinner, I got to quaff several beers from Lefthand Brewery.

Tuesday night took Rich and I into and through Boulder to do some shopping, but man does not live by shoes alone, so we did stop at the local Gordon Biersch for dinner and some beers. We both decided on the meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes and we were not disappointed. To wash the food down I first had the very tasty Schwartzbier and Rich had the Winterbock. We followed those with a Martzen for me and Rich had another Winterbock. All beers were crisp, clean, aromatic and full of flavor.

That brings us to Wednesday. Enroute to Boulder the previous night I noticed the sign for Redstone Meadery, but they were closed. (tasting room hours are M-F 3:30 - 6:30) So, we decided to hit the meadery on Wednesday afternoon. Boy, am I glad we did! The tasting consisted of 1 oz shots of 6-8 meads, and they were some of the best meads I've had in a long time! Traditional mead, metheglins with Juniper berries, and vanilla and cinnamon, pyments both white and red, and delicious melomels both sparkling and still. I purchased 4 bottles which they were able to ship home for me. They also honor the AHA membership card by giving a 10% discount. On my way out, I asked if there was a brewpub close by. I was directed to Rockies, one of the oldest brewpubs in the country being established in 1979.

When we entered Rockies, we were greeted by a party in full force! Turns out Rockies was celebrating their rebirth into their former entity, Boulder Brewing! And all the beer was FREE until 7:30pm! Not just the beer, but also a sizable buffet spread was available for partiers! I quickly ordered the IPA, Hazed and Infused, and made my way to the buffet. Between gulps of the Cascade/Chinook/Centennial hopped beer I filled my plate with Bratwurst, chicken wings, Filet Mignon sandwiches, and slabs of smoked trout! The sandwich and the trout were unbelievably wonderful! So was the beer! I ordered another beer, the Mojo, their Amarillo hopped APA. MMMMMM! Hop burps were prevalent tonight!

I sidled up to the Brewer, David, who took us on a quick tour of the premises. Along the way he allowed me a taste of their still aging Barleywine. It seems to be an English variety and not as hoppy as I would have expected, but still quite tasty. Back to the tasting room for more beer, a very delightful Porter and then the Scotch ale. The Scotch ale had big time malt and smoke from peated malt! This beer is a winner! But, as 7:30 approached I wanted another hop fix so I ordered up another Hazed and Infused. What a wonderful surprise this was! Free beer and food, and it was some of the best beer and tastiest food I've had!

BTW, while in the tasting room at Boulder Brewing I ran into Gary Glass and Kate Porter from the AHA! I had a nice visit with them and they invited me to visit the AHA offices on Thursday.

This was a great beer day! The Redstone meadery tasting room is a must visit if you are in this area and the Boulder Brewery should also be on your list. Be sure to tell them that Bob from OKC sent you!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Jesus Christmas, THAT's a good beer trip! Reminds me of all of my GABF week travels in and around Denver. Colorado is an amazing beer scene.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"