• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what do you butter

rooftop1000

One of the interesting things about butter is how its flavor changes depending on whether it's cold, soft or melted!

SB (what if you poured melted butter on ice cream?)

Not sure about that, but butter pecan ice cream is one of the best flavors out there, next to rum raison of course.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I have one that brings me back to age 7.

My friend Douglas and I would go biking and

his grandmother would send us off with jelly

sandwiches with the bread slathered in butter.

Wow was it good. Haven't had it in decades, but

ya know, I think its time.

How could I have forgotten..........

I am making gingerbread and I always butter it lavishly as soon as it comes out of the oven so the butter melts and is absorbed.

Then while still warm I cut a thin slice and apply butter to the cut side and eat it immediately while the butter is still partly visible. Oooooohhhhhh.

Oh yes, my method of buttering it - I use a cheese plane as it is the quickest way to get a long slice of butter, just the right thickness, ready to drop onto the top of the gingerbread.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What about butter sans vehicle?  My mother-in-law will eat a pat of butter all by itself.

My friend in high school got caught eating sticks of butter when she was 3 years old. Her mom didn't understand why they were going through so much butter every week until one of the older sisters caught her red (butter?) handed in front of the fridge munching away. Funny thing is when I told my mom this story, she thought it was perfectly rational for a 3 year old to do it? (It tastes so good and it's so creamy, of course, she'd eat a whole stick!)

Ai ya! :laugh:

Saltines - old college habit

My Polish cousin like it on his radishes - not sure about this

Best of all, grits: spoonful of grits and piece of butter, eat, repeat

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Westphalian ham on buttered rye bread is heavenly,

as is

caviar on buttered white bread rounds.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Definitely Irish oatmeal with butter swirled in at the last minute. Changes the entire dish.

Also, what about compound butters? A nice steak or pork chop with a knob of anchovy butter melting over the top...

--

Scandinavian rye crisp bread, it was desighed for butter!

Oh heck YES!! Mmmm. Warmish or cold butter is fine by me. If the butter is unsalted I sprinkle sea salt on it. -sigh- Pair this with gravlax and you have a personal slave for at least a few hours. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Scandinavian rye crisp bread, it was desighed for butter!
Saltines - old college habit
Westphalian ham on buttered rye bread is heavenly, as is caviar on buttered white bread rounds.
Definitely Irish oatmeal with butter swirled in at the last minute.
Oh heck YES!! Mmmm. Warmish or cold butter is fine by me. If the butter is unsalted I sprinkle sea salt on it. -sigh- Pair this with gravlax and you have a personal slave for at least a few hours.  :raz:
Right now, I'm eating some buttered pannetone and that's delicious too!

See? This is why I love you guys ... and probably why I've gained 5 pounds since starting to read this site! :laugh:

Butter on fresh-out-of-the-oven white bread, with peanut butter (Adam's of course!) on top ... just kill me now :wub:

A.

What about butter sans vehicle?  My mother-in-law will eat a pat of butter all by itself.

My friend in high school got caught eating sticks of butter when she was 3 years old. Her mom didn't understand why they were going through so much butter every week until one of the older sisters caught her red (butter?) handed in front of the fridge munching away. Funny thing is when I told my mom this story, she thought it was perfectly rational for a 3 year old to do it? (It tastes so good and it's so creamy, of course, she'd eat a whole stick!)

Ai ya! :laugh:

Ba Ha Ha Ha! :laugh: Your "Ai Ya" reminds me of my dad!

The kid-loving-butter thing makes complete sense. It must come naturally. If I don't watch the stick of butter at the table, my kids will just dig big tablespoonfuls of it and plop it on their bread. Kids usually have an innate sense of a "good thing"!

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

Hot buttered rum.

Not even the hot - just rum butter.

Hot toast, cold butter, cold jam.

Cold toast, cold butter, cold marmalade.

Leftover mashed potatoes, flattened in a frying pan & fried with butter until both sides are crispy - best reason to make mashed potatoes.

Potatoes cooked in a bonfire, split & slathered with cold butter, salt & pepper.

Apples quartered, fried with butter & flambeed with rum. Ditto oranges but with cointreau. Ditto pineapple but with kir.

Bread, soft butter, avocadoes.

Atkins be damned!

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

Cold butter spread thickly on a digestive biscuit. Pure heaven. Because of this thread I had to have one (and then another) before I could continue to read. I haven't had this great snack since my grandfather passed away 11 years ago. The wonders of eGullet.

Edited by peppyre (log)

I love hard-boiled eggs, split in half and with a small dollop of butter on the yolk.

Often for lunch I will cut up an apple in a small dish, dot with butter and sprinkle with a little cinnamon (no sugar).

I also love a bowl of tomato soup with a pat of butter melting in the center of the bowl.

i just found my food twin!

also, baguette with extra, extra butter, avocado and vegemite :smile:

the only thing i could think of that i wouldnt want butter on/in is : yoghurt :unsure:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

I love butter on just about anything, but please don't ask me to try to spread rock hard cold butter straight out of the fridge on my nice, soft roll or toast. Or even on a cracker (the butter on saltines takes me straight back to being a kid home sick from school).

One of our dogs (small terrier mix) once ate most of a stick of butter while we were out of the house (had left the butter on the table). She went at it like corn on the cob - round and round -- on the shag carpet under the family table (this was the 70's). Fuzzy butter with dog spit, anyone? :laugh:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

One of our dogs (small terrier mix) once ate most of a stick of butter while we were out of the house (had left the butter on the table). She went at it like corn on the cob - round and round -- on the shag carpet under the family table (this was the 70's). Fuzzy butter with dog spit, anyone?  :laugh:

Our second labrador had a serious jones for butter - and did this more than once. Is it bad to admit we picked the lint off the butter & then cooked with whatever was left?

My cat loves the stuff too. We have to be very vigilant about keeping it put away.

I especially love it on fresh baugette, popovers, as mentioned... and pancakes. Yum.

And I live in land of butterburgers. A nice hunk of yellow creamyness on top of your hamburger can't be beat.

The only time I don't like butter is on bologna sandwiches. uch. Something slimy about those two textures together. I can remember being served wonder bread with bologna and butter at friends' houses when I was a kid. Just not my thing I guess.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad