• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what do you butter

rooftop1000

A few years ago a coworker and I settled into a game of thinking of foods that are not better with butter. Now I dont mean making pie crust or something like that ...just adding butter. Like adding butter to lets say .....steak, pound cake to grill, cooked fruit, hot cereal, broiled fish etc...

Things that arent better with butter we only came up with a short list ie...cold cereal, sushi, raw fruit or veg, hot dogs......anyone else.....what isnt better with butter??

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'd actually disagree about the raw vegs and hot-dogs. I like any sandwhich better when the roll is first buttered, hot dogs included.

Cold cucumber slices with a little butter and then a dash of salt on top are also marvelous.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I love hard-boiled eggs, split in half and with a small dollop of butter on the yolk.

Often for lunch I will cut up an apple in a small dish, dot with butter and sprinkle with a little cinnamon (no sugar).

I also love a bowl of tomato soup with a pat of butter melting in the center of the bowl.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There are so few things I can think of that I don't like butter on! I'd say grits, but then just about anything would have to make them better. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

New England clam chowder with a pat of butter on top... (and chowdah crackers)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

One hates to contradict popular wisdom, but I am quite convinced that on the seventh day, God did not rest. On the seventh day, God devoted him/herself to the creation of butter. And he/she saw that it was damned good indeed!!

Just two small points about what goes well with butter.

(a) Many French men and women are privileged to the great truth that before placing a bit of pate de foie gras on toast, the toast should be generously buttered

(b) Nearly all French and Italian people above the age of four know that no cheese tray should be served unaccompanied by butter. In fact, isn't that against the law in at least four EU countries?

I exaggerate. I know that. But believe me ...just a little.

Few things are as sublime as a bit of a baguette with cultured butter.

Or a piece of toast with any butter.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

There are just some things learned in childhood that are still enjoyed as an adult.

Butter slathered on slices of fresh, hot steamed Chinese-style spongecake.

French fries lavishly sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning then dipped into a block of butter leaving potholes and railroad tracks.

Banana fritters hot out of the frying pan then topped with pats of creamery butter.

Butter, butter, butter is good on anything. Everything?!? :wub:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

A cob of the season's first peaches and cream corn, fresh out of the pot and as hot as your fingers can hold it. Something about that buttery sweetness always says "summer" to me.

Fried plantains, buttered and sprinkled with brown sugar.

A steaming bowl of sweet peas with a generous pat of butter melting down through it.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Clarify your butter and use it on everything! Clarified butter, Indian Ghee, goes with *everything*. On top of rice, bread, to cook vegetables, to crisp edges of indian crepes, in sweets, as garnish..or just swallow large dollaps of ghee...

and it keeps well. unlike, butter, it doesnt require refridgeration.

When fresh corn on the cob is available, I sometimes will make a dinner just from a few ears of corn, and LOTS of butter and salt.

Fried bread dough, dripping with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mmmm

Pressed baked potatoes, cooked face down in a pool of butter so that the surface gets golden, crispy and hard, then served with more butter. That also, can be a meal, as the potato spreads out, and makes a hash brown the size of a plate.

Linguini or spaghetti tossed with butter, and a sprinkle of cheese, salt and pepper.

The absolute worst is when you go to someone's house and they do not use butter and serve toast with either fake butter or margarine on the side.

Toast requires real butter.

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)