• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what do you butter

rooftop1000

One of the interesting things about butter is how its flavor changes depending on whether it's cold, soft or melted!

SB (what if you poured melted butter on ice cream?)

I agree. I prefer to butter my toast with softened butter, after the toast has cooled a bit and remains solid, rather than melted into the bread. When you put the cool jam on top, it stays this way. Is this strange? Am I the only one with this fetish?

I ate a half a stick of butter when I was quite small -- four or five years old. (That's a Canadian stick, which is four American-style sticks -- a cup of butter.) My mother had it out in a bowl coming to room temperature for something or other, and I'd walk past the kitchen and snitch a pinch, walk past the other way and snitch another pinch.... That night I was most horribly ill, and I didn't eat butter, on anything, for years. I'm still a bit ambivalent about it.

A.'s father used to slice up butter in slabs like cheese, and eat it on bread. The sight made me shudder internally.

But nothing is better than a new potato in its tight blonde skin, boiled to that perfect creamy state and topped with melty butter and some fresh dill!

ETA -- winebabe, no, you're not the only one. A. specially went out and bought a toast rack at a flea market. He likes cold toast for that very reason -- he doesn't care to have his toppings get all warm and gooey. (Before the toast rack, he used to stand his two slices of toast on his board at right angles, leaning against each other.)

Edited by CompassRose (log)

For me, it depends on the topping. I prefer my marmalade cold on cold toast with cold butter. But hot toast, with properly melted butter & then unpasteurized fireweed or chestnut or sage honey melting into the toast that is, dare I say it, approaching saturation point so that melted butter is dripping out the bottom - this is starting to sound obscene, but you get the picture.

As a kid, we used to get square crackers with holes in them (not saltines, not wheat thins - can't remember what they were called - they were in an orange packet & I think they were made by Peak Freans) - I liked sandwiching two of them with enough butter that when you squeezed, it produced butter "worms". Everyone else in Grade 3 thought I was nuts.

My granmpa used to do this, and, althugh I don't do it anymore, I did it when I was younger, and I kinda liked it! Butter your bread (stright out of the oven) and dunk it in your Cafe con Leche. Yeah, it's weird, but it tastes good.

I also can´t imagine Rissotto without butter, or any sauce, which I monté with butter.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

One of our dogs (small terrier mix) once ate most of a stick of butter while we were out of the house (had left the butter on the table). She went at it like corn on the cob - round and round -- on the shag carpet under the family table (this was the 70's). Fuzzy butter with dog spit, anyone?  :laugh:

Our second labrador had a serious jones for butter - and did this more than once. Is it bad to admit we picked the lint off the butter & then cooked with whatever was left?

The only way I can get pills down my dogs is to encase the pill or capsule in butter and they gobble it down without tasting.

Anything else, meat, cheese, whatever, they will take in their mouths, sort out the pill or capsule, spit it out and swallow the rest. (Basenjis are clever little devils!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Fresh baby beets with greens

Steamed spinach

Asparagus

I have been known to make Parkerhouse rolls just so I could use them as a vehicle for butter - and called it dinner! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Lordy me.... reading all these posts about butter has got me fantasizing about my favorites...... Let's see...... When I make potato salad, usually with red potatoes, I make sure to boil 1 or 2 extra. When I'm slicing the potatoes, I'll cut one up a slice at a time, while it's still warm-- it can't be so hot to melt the butter-- sprinkle salt and pepper and put a slice of butter on it. Yum! For some reason it tastes better that way than when I cook potatoes specifically just to have as un-salad potatoes.

Anothor is a roll and butter and a cup of coffee. Specifically, slices of a Portugese roll, or really good onion rolls. Bite of roll and butter and then a sip of coffee.... The butter can't be melted into the roll-- I need to bite into the butter, then it melts in my mouth with the coffee... Love that combination! Oh, and the onion rolls HAVE to be loaded with onions-- inside! Not just sprinkled on the outside. One more is, when I'm making chocolate chip cookies.... At the start, creaming the butter with the sugars. Invariably bits come flying from the bowl and that butter/ brown sugar combination is soooo good! And of course, shrimp, crab and/or lobster and butter. What a match!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

• 3 weeks later...

OK new question

where do you keep your butter??

freezer fridge crock or counter

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

soft fresh white bread smeared generously with salted butter -both sides and a layer of jam. It's the only time I like salted butter!

lots of cultured butter just barely melting on boiled new potatoes with flat leaf parsely.

Tonight I made roasted carrots, butternut and acorn squash with wedges of onions gently tossed in 1 tablespoon of goosefat, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a HUGE mounded tablespoon of butter YUMMY!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

When we were kids, and my mother made pancakes for breakfast, we each received our own stick of butter! I'm not kidding. :laugh: We may not have used the entire stick, but believe me, it was liberally applied. Even if our refrigerator was empty, there was always plenty of fresh creamy butter. I like it French, Danish, salted, unsalted, clarified and flavored. The one I like best is Kate's Homemade Butter of Maine. It's questionable that it is organic, but it is super rich.

So I agree with every previous post (except oreo's) because I have done it all. Of those, my favorites are: Irish Oatmeal and butter, baguette and butter, steak and (flavored) butter (I didn't discover that until my thirties), saltines and butter, and boiled eggs with a little butter.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

The only way I can get pills down my dogs is to encase the pill or capsule in butter and they gobble it down without tasting.

Anything else, meat, cheese, whatever, they will take in their mouths, sort out the pill or capsule, spit it out and swallow the rest.  (Basenjis are clever little devils!)

The dogs sussed out the butter trick - doesn't work any more - ditto for cheese and peanut butter - as with your basenjis, they suck off the coating & spit out the pill - the only thing that seems to work now is those tubes of "liver paste" you can buy (we're too cheap to give them pate :biggrin: ). My Dad still uses butter for his dogs, though.

Back OT - unsalted butter and specialty butters live in the fridge, regular butter in a ceramic butter dish with a lid (damn dogs) on the side, "extra" butter is stored in the freezer.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

The question should be, "What don't I butter?" I even butter butter!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 2 weeks later...

I was always really hungry when I was in bootcamp because our meals were so small. The servers completely controlled your portions, which were always pretty miserly. We could get a maximum of two slices of bread with our meals, but there was no butter limit! So I would always make butter sandwiches; 8 cold pats of butter between two slices of white bread. Before that, I didn't like butter if it wasn't melted into something, but after bootcamp I was a changed man.

My friend would pile a bunch of pats in a bowl with some salad dressing and eat it with a spoon.

A chunk of French bread, a generous smear of butter, then a large hunk of Brie or Camenbert or other soft cheese. The butter makes the cheese even butteryer.

You know how you eat your piece of pizza and when you're finished you have that slightly crescent-shaped piece of crust left over? Well, I used to date an Italian guy and he always ordered butter with his pizza. The first time he did that, I thought it was quite odd.

Until I saw him take that crunchy, crusty bit of bread and smear it with butter and eat it. Man is that good. Kind of like the best bread stick you ever ate.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

...large dollaps of ghee...

and it keeps well. unlike, butter, it doesnt require refrigeration.

OK new question

where do you keep your butter??

freezer fridge crock or counter

On the counter, of course. If your butter doesn't keep on the counter, you're not eating it fast enough. Eat more butter. This will prevent spoilage.

...and boiled eggs with a little butter.

"A little" butter? Why bother?

The perfect food is plain doughnuts, split and buttered, and pan-fried til golden.

Corn muffins.

...heated in the toaster oven with a very generous pat placed on each before heating, so that the melted butter seeps all the way through the muffin, then another slightly softened, cool pat added after heating the muffin. YUM.

I've been lurking for some time and look what topic finally broke my silence! BUTTER!

• 2 weeks later...

No-one's mentioned banana bread yet? Tsk tsk. Most cakes, in fact. Oh, and waffles...heck with that "there's enough fat in them already" crap.

In Newfoundland, a traditional bachelor's/fisherman's meal is just a slab of bread with a slab of butter and a generous pouring of molasses. For anyone else, that's one of the sides...or dessert.

Unfortunately, in recent years margarine has become the standard-issue table fodder with the disappearance of the family cow.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I just reduced fresh tangerine juice to a tablespoon, poured it over half a stick of butter and mixed it up. Stuck it in the freezer for a while, then took it out and pushed it all under game hen skins, along with some fresh sage.

Basted them with the juices......

Wow, that was GOOD

shortbread biscuits with butter

I forgot but you reminded me... Wheatmeal biscuits and butter.

I keep it in the refrigerator, but if I know I'm going to use it, I leave it out for the day.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel