• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable stock

anchita

I'd appreciate knowing more about 'vegetarian' stocks. (The "hot soups" thread in the Indian forum got me thinking about this.)

I assume basic vegetable stock-making would involve simmering cut vegetables in water and then straining the mixture. But what about the specific combinations and proportions of vegetables, addition of herbs and spices, length of time for simmering, reduction etc.

Beside its obvious use as the base in soups, what other uses could one put this to (assuming that it doesn't possess the thickening property of the meat-based stocks)?

edit: I did try to see if this topic has been covered elsewhere, but didn't get a specific result. I'd appreciate any pointers to previous discussions, if any.

"I look around (the Amazon rainforest) and see a green wall. They (the Machiguenga Indians of Peru) look around and see a supermarket." -Austin Stevens

The eGullet Culinary Institute class on stocks includes some basic information about vegetarian stocks that can serve as a good base for making them:

Click here.

Vegetable stocks are not good for reducing. They will never get tacky-thick because they don't contain gelatin, and reducing them just makes them bitter. I've made "double vegetable" stock by using vegetable stock instead of water to make a second batch, but it doesn't add all that much to do this IMO.

Vegetable stocks work well for cooking grains or vegetables and making soups. You can make a vegetable veloute--which makes a terrific base for a vegetarian soup or a vegetable-flavored sauce--but you cannot make a vegetable espagnole-type sauce. I keep vegetable stocks on-hand for soups at work, the stock is a cleaner flavor than chicken stock and it allows my vegetarian girls to enjoy soups with everybody else.

The eGullet Culinary Institute class on stocks includes some basic information about vegetarian stocks that can serve as a good base for making them:

Click here.

Vegetable stocks are not good for reducing. They will never get tacky-thick because they don't contain gelatin, and reducing them just makes them bitter. I've made "double vegetable" stock by using vegetable stock instead of water to make a second batch, but it doesn't add all that much to do this IMO.

Vegetable stocks work well for cooking grains or vegetables and making soups. You can make a vegetable veloute--which makes a terrific base for a vegetarian soup or a vegetable-flavored sauce--but you cannot make a vegetable espagnole-type sauce. I keep vegetable stocks on-hand for soups at work, the stock is a cleaner flavor than chicken stock and it allows my vegetarian girls to enjoy soups with everybody else.

Thanks, Malawry! I knew I should've looked harder at the stock-making class!

Can you also tell me how to make a vegetable veloute? A search for it resulted in recipes that use it as an ingredient rather than telling me how to prepare it. (As you can probably tell, I'm pretty much a novice to the world of cooking.)

Edited by anchita (log)

"I look around (the Amazon rainforest) and see a green wall. They (the Machiguenga Indians of Peru) look around and see a supermarket." -Austin Stevens

A veloute is a sauce made by thickening stock with a white roux. A white roux is equal parts (by volume) of fat (classically butter, but any just about any fat can be used) and flour. The typical proportions are 2T each fat and flour for each cup of stock.

Heat the fat, then stir in the flour all at once and whisk to combine. Cook briefly, but do not allow it to brown. Whisk in the stock, a few tablespoons at a time to start, then in greater amounts as the mixture combines. Once you've added all the stock, let it simmer for ten minutes or so to let the flour lose its raw taste. Adjust your seasonings and you're done.

As for the stock itself, here's what I do: go heavy on the aromatics (onion, leeks, celery, carrots and garlic, in proportions of one onion to one well-trimmed leek to one celery stalk to one carrot to one garlic clove), then add mushroom stems, tomato cores, turnips, rutabagas -- as the class says, just about anything but cruciferous vegetables.

Quarter the onions and smash the garlic, but don't peel; trim the root and most of the green from the leek and wuarter lengthwise (you might have to rinse it); chop everything else roughly. Smear some tomato paste on anything chunky, but don't go overboard (no, it won't taste like tomatoes). Roast in a 375 F oven until things are browning and the edges are about to singe.

Dump everyting into your stock pot, and deglaze the roasting pan with white vermouth or water, and dump that in the pot as well. Cover everything with water and bring to a simmer. It's done when the carrots are about to disintegrate.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

A nice way to use vegetable stock in everyday cooking is to make a sort of "beurre fondue" with it. Heat the stock, add enough roux to thicken to nape, then whisk in whole butter (about 1 # per quart of stock). Toss with blanched vegetables just before serving.

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I don't think pre-made vegtable stocks are really worth it. Generally, I just prefer to cook the vegtables with whatever dish I'm using. Unless you need something that is clear or non-chunky, it seems like a waste of time.

I make my vegetable stock when I need it. Since the cooking time is significantly shorter than a meat stock and thus little trouble to make and because I like to choose vegetables best suited for whatever I'm making, I don't bother keeping it. I think you lose something in flavor by trying to keep it because it's so delicate.

I make vegetable stock occasionally, as my wife is a vegetarian. I have never seriously tried to freeze it though for long-term storage. I'm assuming I would need to do this with full-strength stock, since it's not really reduction worthy.

That said, you can use vegetable stock -- especially if it's mushroom-heavy -- to make lots of tasty dishes, especially soups and rice/grain dishes like risotto or rice pilaf.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I've never had any problem with freezing veg stock. But I don't do so for longer than two months at the outside--usually it's only in there a couple weeks before I use it up and have to make another batch.

I wouldn't freeze it for a long time; but making it ahead even a couple of weeks would come in handy when I wanted a quick soup. The idea to use it in rice dishes etc. is also great.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

Edited by anchita (log)