• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beacon Bar & Grill

JennyUptown

I’ve been a couple times for lunch, once in the bar, once in the downstairs dining room. Had a decent but unremarkable barbecued duck sandwich the first time and a roast beef sandwich the second. Good piping hot McDonaldsesque fries. I would steer clear of the specialty cocktails. The downstairs dining room feels good but bland, a bit of a Zola ripoff on a budget (which Tom should have caught – the aligned stainless steel portholes between the full-height booth dividers are a bit more than an homage). The bar area is quite beige, with nice light fixtures and an airy feel. They’ve got the obligatory color changing lights behind the bar. I’m guessing the “smooching booths” are the semicircular booths along one wall of the bar area, though I can’t imagine them making anyone feel romantic. I’ll go back, but it’ll be more due to proximity than destination.

And let us know what the low down is on those "smooching booths."

I will, but not until I have someone smoochworthy in my life.

I could, though, go for a really good roast beef sandwich.

bmiller, did you enjoy yours?

It was fine. It ate a bit more like a cheesesteak, but it was alright. I couldn't suggest it if you're looking for a great one. Really, I want to like this place, as it's the closest sit-down lunch option from my office. The $18 unlimited champagne brunch on an upcoming Sunday could convert me...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone have any updated information on the Beacon Hotel restaurant? It was reported in the Sun that the new chef is Edward Kim, who only a while back "returned" to Baltimore from I think DC to cook at Saffron, where I thought he did interesting things but apparently the locals thought his food was too far out.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris