• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is a "pig's squeal"

chefzadi

It's the only part of the pig that you can't use I was told. :raz:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

It's the only part of the pig that you can't use I was told. :raz:

Bruce Frigard

No, it is the sound the pig makes.

The old joke is that every part of a pig can be put to use, as food or other uses, except the squeal.

Hog snout is a delicacy favored by many in the south and in Mexico.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Also used in "souse" that Susan mentions above or in variations like head cheese or german/austrian sulz.

Also in the carribean dish, callaloo...

Basically, probably use in most 'peasant' or country cuisines that use pork.

Isn't there a french version of head cheese that is made-- pate de tete?

edited to add: Here a pate de tete

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

No, it is the sound the pig makes. 

The old joke is that every part of a pig can be put to use, as food or other uses, except the squeal. 

Okay. Yes, every part of the pig can be used, even the snout. In Lyon, they make sure to utilize every part of the animal. So it's a word game?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

. So it's a word game?

ca va sans dire...

(just joking; I saw this phrase the other day in print and I'm trying to repeat it to myself for reinforcement in order to ressurect it at the right times w/my french-speaking friends.)

mais... oui.

in terms of the correct culinary term in english; I think it's just "pig snout"

Pigs's feet are called just that; or I think from an English derivation, "pigs trotters"

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It's the sound they make...  you know, kind of a joke, the only part that you can't use for food.  Apparently the snout is used in souse.

:smile:

Yes it's the old joke. The only part of the pig that you cannot use. :raz::raz::raz:

Bruce Frigard

Chefzadi, did one of your customers order pig's squeal today? :laugh:

Nah, I have to teach it. If a customer ordered it today I would go into the dining room with a cigarette dangling from my mouth and a pure carbon steel Sabatier in one hand....

Dean of Culinary Arts

At the Oscar Meyer plant in Madison Wisconsin, the saying is: 'Everything but the squeal'! -Dick

I read somewhere that at the Spam plant, the saying is "Thank you Hawaii"

Spam musabi rolls anyone? :blink:

Dean of Culinary Arts

At the Oscar Meyer plant in Madison Wisconsin, the saying is: 'Everything but the squeal'! -Dick

I read somewhere that at the Spam plant, the saying is "Thank you Hawaii"

Spam musabi rolls anyone? :blink:

This is beginning to remind me of a Roald Dahl story called "Pig" in which a boy sets off to pursue his culinary ambitions. He is served pork for the very first time...

Maybe it's what I imagined chefzadi's plans were with that Sabatier!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Then of course there's the scene in the movie "Deliverance" where the Hillbilly asked for the"pig's squeal". :biggrin:  :laugh:  :raz:

I've never seen the movie. I'm a country boy at heart. French country boy to be precise. And even now if you visit my village it's like something out of a postcard or a painting. When I mention to my wife that we could move to the country in America she always brings up the movie "Deliverance". :laugh:

Dean of Culinary Arts

Then of course there's the scene in the movie "Deliverance" where the Hillbilly asked for the"pig's squeal". :biggrin:  :laugh:  :raz:

I've never seen the movie. I'm a country boy at heart. French country boy to be precise. And even now if you visit my village it's like something out of a postcard or a painting. When I mention to my wife that we could move to the country in America she always brings up the movie "Deliverance". :laugh:

bing- bing- bing- bing------ bing bing bing(bango sound)

"Gee bohy, you gota a pretty mouf" :blink:

SQUEAL BOHY! SQUEAL lika PIG!

EEEEEHEEEEHHHH!

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"