• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks in the kitchen

helenas

I've found myself cooking a great deal from _Moro: The Cookbook_ recently. I especially like the soups - the chorizo and chestnut soup recipe is fab, and I've made it several times since I got the book at Christmas. But the two books I just have hanging around most of the time are _French Provincial Cooking_ by Elizabeth David and _How to Eat_ by Nigella Lawson.

I would second ED's "French Provincial Cooking"as my most used/loved book. Other then that I am very sluttish in regard to cooking books. At the moment I am using Maria Kaneva-Johnson's "The Melting Pot: Balkan Food and Cookery" and Clifford Wright's "Mediterranean Feast" (this later book must be one of the greatest cooking books I have ever read).

In no particular order - these are what I reach for

Raymond Blanc - Blanc Mange - very good on technique

Shaun Hill - Merchant House - just 'cause its new

Alfred Portal - Gotham Bar & Grill - very good on presentation

Gordon Ramsay - any of them

Alistair Little - Keep it Simple - when I want something quick

I've also recently got hold of some MPW books which I've found to be quite dissapointing

I never got into Moro & never got any of the River Cafe recipies to work.  Eventuall threw the later out.

Elizabeth Schneider's Vegetables: from Amaranth to Zuchinni -- an encyclopedic and wonderfully readable compendium which I plan to have by my elbow all season, exploring strange new vegetables, going where no cook has gone before....

I've been working diligently to improve and expand my bread baking, so the bread books are on my work table right now

Beard on Bread

Clayton's Bread Book

Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book

Judith & Evan Jones's Book of Bread

Leader's and Blahnik's Bread Alone Cookbook

Crescent Dragonwagon's Soup & Bread Cookbook

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I loved the Moro cookbook (But I do have a bit of a thing for Chorizo, sherry and pimenton at the moment.).

I find Nigel Slaters books handy for simple supper recipes, but one of the most useful ones I have got is the Conran cookbook, by Terence and Caroline Conran, along with Simon Hopkinson. There is a very good reference section (Most of the book in fact) covering pretty much every ingredient, along with availability, and pictures. The recipes are good, with some very 'Simon Hopkinsony' ones (If you have read any of his books, you know what I mean), but the best thing is the fantastic cross referencing througout the book - The recipes all link back to the relevant technique and/or ingredient and the ingredients link off to the recipes which use them.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I have been on a spanish kick recently, mainly Penelope Casas' books The Food and Wine of Spain and Delicioso! Also, Jasper White's Cooking from New England and Henri Pelliprat's Modern French Culinary Art.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

With all the greens coming out of my garden these days, I get a lot of use out of:

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison

Both have a lot of good ideas. (And you can always throw a little bacon or sausage in if you can't stand not having meat :biggrin: . )

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

During the summer I use the Union Square Cafe cookbook a lot.

Right now I have Payard's Simply Sensational Desserts and David Lebovitz's Ready for Dessert on my kitchen table.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs