• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nancy Silverton & Mario Batali

Carolyn Tillie

In the restaurant world, that is...

LA Times Article -- Nancy sells out of Campanile to partner with Batali for an Italian restaurant somewhere in Los Angeles.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

He certainly seemed to respect what she was doing on Ciao America's sandwich episode, though I don't know how far back their relationship goes. Referring to her Italian "road-stop" pannini, he said, "This is what God would eat if he were driving a car". I've been meaning to try sandwich night ever since.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Nancy Silverton & Mario Batali, Who knew they would hook up?

I did! No not really, but Nancy does call Mario her friend and includes "Mario's Favorite Bagna Cauda Sandwich" in her sandwich book. Good thing Mario has some weight to throw around because he seems to be spreading himself quite thin with all these restaurants, although opening one with Silverton sounds like a great idea.

That entire article blew me away when I was reading it for the food digest this week.

According to the article, Silverton is looking around for locations. She & Batali are hoping to open the restaurant by the end of the summer.

Given that both have strong & driven personalities, I liked Nancy's answer to the questions about how she & Mario can co-exist in the kitchen, how the responsibilities & authorities are going to be divided up:

Silverton says they haven't discussed that yet "except that since the restaurant is in L.A., I'll be the boss."

After reading this article, I'm reminded of that old quote (slightly out of context), "Man doesn't live by bread alone ..."

Maybe that's why Mario Batali is bringing over the salumi to Los Angeles. :biggrin:

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I’ve removed the posts from this thread about organizing an offline event as they violate the current eGullet events policy. If people are interested in getting together at the restaurant they are welcome to use the PM system to organize that. Another good option would be to organize an event that fits the guidelines in the events policy, in which case the event could be organized in this forum.

• 8 months later...

Here's an update from the LA Daily News (10 Oct. 2005) on the Mario Batali & Nancy Silverton restaurant partnership:

Super Mario on the move / by Natalie Haughton

Next spring, he and Nancy Silverton, founder of La Brea Bakery, will collaborate on Trattoria del'Latte, a Los Angeles restaurant (located near Melrose and Highland avenues) encompassing a trio of different concepts. "Trattoria del'Latte will feature a large mozzarella bar; Enoteca del'Latte, a wine bar and Italian antipasti; and next to that Pizzeria del'Latte will feature a wood-fired pizza like that in Rome," says Silverton.

Not to be outdone, the LA Times article, Big bucks for a slice of the pizza / by Corie Brown, includes this tidbit:

Prospective investors were stunned Oct. 5 when the private placement offering for the much anticipated Nancy Silverton-Mario Batali restaurant hit their desks. Shares in the Italian kitchen are being offered at a record $100,000 each, a startlingly large sum in Los Angeles, where buying into a top restaurant rarely costs more than $25,000 a share, and never more than $50,000 ... In a difficult restaurant climate, this is a wildly ambitious project — three restaurants in one, including a trattoria, a pizzeria and an enoteca.

Here's an update from the LA Daily News (10 Oct. 2005) on the Mario Batali & Nancy Silverton restaurant partnership:
...cut... and next to that Pizzeria del'Latte will feature a wood-fired pizza like that in Rome," says Silverton.

Maybe someone should tell Silverton that most Italians think that Roman-style pizza sucks, except maybe Romans, and I think that's changing too.

Edited by albiston (log)
Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In the 29 March 2006 edition of the LA Times Food Section Digest includes Leslie Brenner's article/interview with Mario Batali and his current battles with Del Posto, among other things. In the article are some updated info about the new restaurant on Melrose & Highland with Nancy Silverton:

And in the meantime, he has his sight set firmly on Los Angeles. He says he aims for the restaurant to open the second week of June, now that construction is underway.

The name is changed — what was initially going to be called Latte — Trattoria del'Latte and Pizzeria del'Latte — is now to be called Mozza (as in mozzarella) — Trattoria Mozza and Pizzeria Mozza. And though Batali and Bastianich are partners, he says it'll really be Silverton's place.

Still, it'll be fascinating to see whether L.A. falls in love with the chef in shorts and orange clogs.

Mario says the 2nd week in June. Nancy says in the fall of 2006, maybe. Personally, I'd go with Nancy. Mario has no idea about LA bureaucracy ...

• 4 months later...

The Los Angeles magazine said Mozza will be open this month. Does anyone know if it has opened yet?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

To answer your question, here are a few photos I took about a week ago:

gallery_24802_3462_99280.jpg

gallery_24802_3462_87640.jpg

gallery_24802_3462_6746.jpg

gallery_24802_3462_2910.jpg

gallery_24802_3462_82101.jpg

As you can see, Mozza is closed. You and I, as well as everyone else (and that includes Jonathan Gold & S. Irene Virbila), are going to have to wait until Mozza is open for business. According to my sources, the pizzeria is going to open in September and the main restaurant is planning to open at the end of the year. If I hear any further updates, I’ll do my best to keep everyone informed.

Thanks!!! Although I'm disappointed, Im thankfull I dont have to deal with yalls traffic looking for the place to only find out its not open.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys