• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating at the Bar

TarteTatin

I haven't done it myself, but I bet that Panorama's bar would be a great spot to eat- you could gaze admiringly at the oenotechnological miracle behind the bar as you ate. (And even if you don't order food, their little bread snacks are great eating as well.)

For me, the definitive bar eating experience in Philly is Standard Tap. Subtly elegant food, generally nice bartenders, superior local beer selection, killer juke box, diverse crowd for company, and clever, alternative newspapers and comics for reading if you're alone. I've done it more than a few times, and it's always very satisfying.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Great thread on this awhile back: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=30830

The topic might be a little different -- what bars have good food versus restaurants where it's fun to eat at the bar.

Recent favorites of mine have been Royal Tavern, Bridgid's and Caribou. Standard Tap, I agree with Rich, is the sine qua non of Philadelphia bar-based dining.

For me, the definitive bar eating experience in Philly is Standard Tap. 

Rich, I'm 100% with you. While perhaps not in the "elegant" category (of course neither am I), The Tap is exactly what I am headed for when I'm in an "eat at the bar" mood. I think it is especialy great because they have plenty of "small plate" types of offerings, which are convenient when things get crowded.

I don't travel solo quite as much as I used to, but always found it much more comforting to eat among friendly strangers than to eat at a table solo, or worse yet, take-out in my hotel room. There is a certain comfort implied. And even though I'm getting off track, my hub and I make it a habit when on vacation-- It is a great way to meet locals and find out where they frequent.

Anyhow! Headed to the Smoked Joint tonight for some BBQ and live bluegrass. We'll see where I end up sitting?...

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Some of my favorite outlets for suds and sustenance:

Penn Valley Pub - Penn Valley

The Tavern -Bala Cynwyd

Mc Nalley's -Chestnut Hill

Mc Menamen's (sic) Mt Airy

The late lamented Goat Hollow (Now a Creole restaurant)

Monks

The Standard Tap

My cronies and I are out on Saturday's hitting these joints for lunch while we're telling our wives we're doing manly errands at Home Depot.

For me, the definitive bar eating experience in Philly is Standard Tap. 

Anyhow! Headed to the Smoked Joint tonight for some BBQ and live bluegrass. We'll see where I end up sitting?...

BTW, how was the band?

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

The Keystone Mountain Boys were great and bluegrass is a perfect fit any place that serves up good smoky ribs, like the Smoked Joint. Having had the good fortune of vacationing friend bring me a fresh muffaletta straight from the Central Grocery, I unfortunately had to suffer through that for dinner (written with plenty of sarcasm) and pass up on chowing at the bar.

I am interested to know if you visited Angie Brown's yet, in the former Goat Hollow space? The menu sounded interesting and I haven't had a chance to visit yet. I hear the chef has been around town for awhile, but I am not familiar with her.

Edited by forkineverything (log)

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Can't say that I have tried Angie Brown's. The women who took it over runs the Jamaican Restaurant around the corner from McMen's and NXNW. It's not open for lunch and I heard that the bar area has changed with the emphasis as a more formal dining room. The transition from Goat to Creole hasn't sat too well with some of the regulars. McMen's has been picking up on some of them.

Is bluegrass a regular thing at the Smoke Joint?

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

The topic might be a little different -- what bars have good food versus restaurants where it's fun to eat at the bar.

that second thing is what i thought this topic was about.

in almost any restaurant with a bar, if there are two of us or just me, i prefer the bar to a table. i don't know why.

friday saturday sunday has the tank bar, which is nice to eat at.

at philadelphia fish & co, i much prefer the bar to the tables.

white dog and la terrasse both have enjoyable bars to eat at--although they do have separate bar menus, you can order off the dinner menu as well.

I too like the bar if we are two or if I am solo. Some of my favorites particularly for lunch -

Capital Grill - Alison keeps the banter going

Tir na Nog - the bar menu gives some other options

Davio's

• 2 years later...

This is a couple of months old, but I just found it:

Table for One in Philadelphia.

(full disclosure: I may have had some small influence on the list of destinations, but none on the opinions of them!)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

The GREY LODGE is my regular stop for a terrific meal at the bar, and a surprisingly sophisticated one at that. On my last visit they added a bunch of things to the growing menu, including CHEESESTEAK SPRING ROLLS, the new heroin.

And only 39 miles from my house!

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"