• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discount Vanilla Beans - Good Information

CaliPoutine

Hi.... I'm new & this is my second post. :o)

Thanks for the info & I've enjoyed reading this thread, but wanted to ask about the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon paste a few of you mentioned earlier. I know some said it's sub-standard in flavour but how bad is it, or is it bad at all? I'm wondering if it'd be suitable in vanilla cake batter versus using the beans or will I lose a lot of taste? I suspect it's not good enough to use in a buttercream. Anyone with experience with the product?

Thanks for the info & I've enjoyed reading this thread, but wanted to ask about the  Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon paste a few of you mentioned earlier. I know some said it's sub-standard in flavour but how bad is it, or is it bad at all? I'm wondering if it'd be suitable in vanilla cake batter versus using the beans or will I lose a lot of taste? I suspect it's not good enough to use in a buttercream. Anyone with experience with the product?

I have it, I use it, but the consistency is mucousy. I cant describe it any other way. I use it for the bean flecks( this was before I bought the whole whack of beans), and I supplement with vanilla.

Thanks for the info & I've enjoyed reading this thread, but wanted to ask about the  Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon paste a few of you mentioned earlier. I know some said it's sub-standard in flavour but how bad is it, or is it bad at all? I'm wondering if it'd be suitable in vanilla cake batter versus using the beans or will I lose a lot of taste? I suspect it's not good enough to use in a buttercream. Anyone with experience with the product?

I used one bottle of NM vanilla paste. Flavor-wise, I thought the paste was no better or worse than extract. I used it in lots of different recipes with no problems.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Just bumping this up to let you know Organic Vanilla has bourbon beans up for auction now. I have been trying for a couple days to get either 20 beans or a 1/4lb for $7 USD + shipping with no success. Today I was given a "second chance" that wasn't on the e-bay site to buy the beans for the price I was bidding. I'm not sure if this is common with all sellers but I thought it was pretty nice of her. I'm looking forward to tasting the difference between the Tahitian and Bourbon.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm looking forward to tasting the difference between the Tahitian and Bourbon.

Please let us know the outcome. I just received my 1/2 lb. of Tahitian beans, but haven't used them yet. I noticed that in Pierre Herme's chocolate book, it says that he prefers Tahitian beans, which is interesting since I've had the impression that many appear to prefer the Bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought some of the Planifolia (Bourbon) beans from Organic Vanilla Bean Co. They arrived quickly and were vacuum-packed (as promised) and plump. Once opened, they had a very strong, heady scent.

I used them in a passion-fruit/mango caramel and they completely overwhelmed it. I will have to be more careful to rebalance the recipe for beans of this strength; though I suspect it may be necessary to switch to the Tahitian variety for a more subtle (and pleasing) flavor.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I just ordered a 1/4lb of Tahitian vanilla beans from vanilla beans. I paid 26$, shipping included.

I was amazed at how cheap they are.  I did some seaching around and I found another site that sells the same amount for 75$

I just checked the site...beans are currently $13.75 for 1/4lb.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 4 weeks later...
I just ordered a 1/4lb of Tahitian vanilla beans from vanilla beans. I paid 26$, shipping included.

BTW, I was surprised to discover the Saffron.com folks actually have a store front.

I was walking down Valencia last night and suddenly smelled vanilla very strongly. Quite a nice change from the usual San Francisco street smells, I can assure you! I looked up, saw the Saffron.com sign, and remembered this thread. When I first read about them, I had assumed they were mail order only; but, it looks like they have a retail space as well. Will have to get back some time during the day. I can't wait to be at the ground zero for that ambrosial nectar!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 months later...

I am bumping this up to let everyone know that I just ordered 1/4 lb. tahitian vanilla beans from saffron.com for $15.95, shipping included. For a minimum order of $21.95, they will include 5 free beans and a bar of soap (vanilla or saffron.) I've never tried their beans, but recently purchased an ounce of saffron that is the best I've ever used; that order included free vanilla extract and a bar of saffron soap. I love this company.

Ilene

• 10 months later...

The pastry section seemed the most appropriate place to share a fantastic site I found, detailing one of the cook's best friends, Vanilla.

It has some background on Vanilla, from the bean to grounds, flavourings and essences, along with some recipes.

I just thought you might want to have a look, it's always very humbling to explore in detail, an ingredient such as Vanilla, which is so often used but seldom looked at closely.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar