• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

purslane (portulac)?

helenas

I'm just curious, if any egulleters are growing/eating this stuff?

Actually, Paula Wolfert has couple of purslane salads in one of her books. I also vaguely remember, that back in russia there was some canned marinated portulac. But here i've never seen it being sold for eating, although nurseries carry it for rock gardens, as it's so pretty.

It's available at the Union Square Greenmarket in season.  (Liza sill tell us when, I'm sure.)  Farmer's markets in NJ must carry it.  Purslane is more about texture than flavor.  The leaves are fleshy and somewhat gelatinous in a very pleasant way.  It's one of the few salad greens with a chew.  The smaller, thinner stgems are edible, but you should discard the larger stems.  Chopped hard-cooked egg is a often added to a purslane salad.  A warm dressing that you might use to make a wilted dandelion salad is appropriate, but vinaigrette is just, fine, too.

Being Liza and Davy's next door neighbor, I can tell you it's there's purslane at the market already. But being a wild food fan, I can also say that it's more a matter of letting it grow than growing it. Last summer Stan-Pat Farms, our plain-Jane anchor farm at the Greenwich St. Farmart brought in some purslane. When I chatted about it with to Stan, a man of few words, he looked positively embarrassed to be selling a weed. It was only a dollar for a large bag, and it was delicious.

Isn't portulac a succulent garden flower?

The purslane is available now at Union Square but the green to really go for is the flowering arugula. I can't get around the years of pulling purslane as a weed.

I, too, think Portulaca (sp?) is a succulent garden flower, with lovely bright colored flowers.

The purslane is available now at Union Square but the green to really go for is the flowering arugula. I can't get around the years of pulling purslane as a weed.

Puslane is a weed, and it grows like a weed; I've seen it peeking up through cracks in the sidewalk - and of course my dog peed on it.

It's a highly nutritious plant, though, and last year I was able to get it all the time through my CSA (community supported agriculture). I put it through the juicer (with other veggies) as often as not.

Davy?!?! I'm a girl! (At least last time I looked....)

Now that I know how to post pix, I can't stop. Here're two of the fabulous arugula flowers from Stan-Pat Farms -- aren't they gorgeous? The flowers and the buds are very tender and tasty.  My cat Blanche likes to eat them, too.

ArugulaB.jpg

ArugulaFlowers.jpg