• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Florida Citrus

bloviatrix

I'm heading down to Miami at the end of the week and I'm wondering -- can I get locally grown Meyer lemons down there? I know they grown in California but what about Florida? Any idea about price?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The only Meyer lemons I've seen here come from California. Go figure. Florida seems to produce mostly citrus for juicing whilst California I believe produces fruit for supermarkets. You wouldn't believe how much citrus from California we have in Florida markets. It's almost embarassing.

The only Meyer lemons I've seen here come from California.  Go figure.  Florida seems to produce mostly citrus for juicing whilst California I believe produces fruit for supermarkets.  You wouldn't believe how much citrus from California we have in Florida markets.  It's almost embarassing.

I wonder if that has to do with cosmetics. All the Florida citrus I've recieved from my parents over the years is not cosmetically perfect like the stuff in the grocery stores - it's full of wind scars (brown spots). It's usually better quality as far as taste goes, just not as pretty.

This is all from the Indian River area (central Florida, East coast) where I grew up and my parents still live. There really isn't a lot of citrus grown in South Florida as I remember.

• 3 years later...
I'm heading down to Miami at the end of the week and I'm wondering -- can I get locally grown Meyer lemons down there?  I know they grown in California but what about Florida?  Any idea about price?

They are very easy to grow in a pot. I'll bet even in Manhatten if you have a sunny window.

• 4 months later...

I've not seen them in the stores but now that we have a Whole Foods in our area -- who knows?

I get a glut of them from neighbors and friends who grow them. The season for them is late Fall. If you have any friends you'll see during your visit - ask them to acquire them for you. They'll probably be free!

• 2 years later...

The only Meyer lemons I've seen here come from California. Go figure. Florida seems to produce mostly citrus for juicing whilst California I believe produces fruit for supermarkets. You wouldn't believe how much citrus from California we have in Florida markets. It's almost embarassing.

Last month I purchased a case of 36 count navels from Indian River and they were beautiful. IMO, Indian River produces some of the best citrus in the country. Can't help but wonder if your parents aren't getting the oranges from more local sources which may not be as intensively managed with a good spray program hence the blemishes.