• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restless for a new cookbook

amyknyc

I've been re-visiting John Ash's From Earth to Table the past few weeks. Everything I've made has been a hit.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've been working my way through <a href= "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393052303/qid=1106694606/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6539483-7359251?v=glance&s=books&n=507846">Molly Steven's Braising cookbook</a>

So far, have made the braised Salmon with leeks, bacon, and Pinot Noir, and it's delicious. I've also had the short ribs with Rosemary. This cookbook is one of the best I've seen just in terms of how the information is presented, and the pictures are gorgeous.

Pam

I second the braising book, so far I've been loving it!

My favorite new baking book though has to be Home Baking, by Jeffrey Alford, Naomi Duguid, dont know how to make an amazon/egullet link.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Time of year affects what I want (and convince myself I need).

Right now, I'm heavy into the Molly Stevens book. Last winter, I had to have Slow Med. Cookbook by the goddess Paula, year before it was Zuni. I still use the latter two constantly at this time of year.

Come summer, it's all about the St. Paul Farmer's Market Cookbook. Alice Water's fruit and veg cookbooks.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

When I've had a moment, I've been reading Andreas Viestad's Kitchen of Light, originally due to his series is being carried on the local PBS affiliate. Interesting; I can see myself taking some of the stuff into my repertoire, though I'd probably not have that many takers for his cheeseburger (pork, venison, grouse, foie gras centre).

Right now the new book getting the heaviest rotation in my kitchen is Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking. It's all good.

I just had a dinner party with everything from Suvir's book: cumin-scented rice, sweet pepper biriyani, empress dal, simple lentil dal with ginger, mixed summer squash, green beans with coconut, chickpea and potato salad, tamarind chutney, green chutney - all were scarfed up - but my faves were the tamarind chutney, simple lentil dal, and chickpea/potato salad

next to try from is Stevens' braising...

I just bought a great little book called Fagioli; The Bean Cuisine of Italy, by Judith Barrett. It's making me very hungry...

Karen

It really doesn't take more than three bricks and a fire to cook a meal, a sobering reminder that it's the individual who makes the food, not the equipment. --Niloufer Ichaporia King

FamilyStyle Food

All About Braising in my new 9 qt LC French Oven.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 5 months later...

Upping this topic, because I have a hankering for a new book or two.

Anyone have any comments on the new Batali cookbook?

I'm thinking I need vegetable ideas. Remember, I cook for three kids and a husband, so French Laundry need not apply. Also remember, it is summer in Minnesota, and I already own and have spattered most of the pages of the Braising book.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Since I've been trying to be diet conscious lately I've been enjoying my Secrets of Fat-Free Italian Cooking by Sandra Woodruff. I really like her books in general and the recipes are always quite flavorful. She has a whole series of the "Fat-Free" books as well as a lot of books dealing with eating well on the Glycmic scale, cooking for diabetics, etc. A search for her name in quotes on Amazon will yield a dozen or more book possibilities, many of which are available for ridiculously low prices.

One of my favorite ethnic cookbooks is The Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church. The Greek Church ladies finally compiled all their awesome knowledge into one book and the recipes are always a winner. I just LOVE Greek cuisine, so this book is pretty much the only one I need to find almost any dish I might want.

I've also been enjoying Dale DeGroff's Craft of the Cocktail, which has been inspirational for some late night bar experiments!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Another vote for Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking. It's been a very interesting exploration for me, as I was not familiar at all with Indian cooking.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've been enjoying cooking from several of the promotional magazine-format (full-color, heavy, glossy paper, but stapled binding) books published by Bay Books, aMurdoch Magazines imprint. I've found them at my local Borders bookstore FOR - $2.99 - APIECE!

My favorites so far are Tastes of the Mediterranean and Thai Cooking. I also bought Tasty Low-Fat Recipes, Quick Short Recipes, and one on savory tarts and pies.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I recently picked up Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. Especially with all the summer bounty, it's great.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

On days when it has been too hot to turn on the oven, I've been trying some slow cooker recipes from Fix It and Forget It Lightly. Very simple recipes, but tasty.

I've been wanting to learn to cook more Indian things, so maybe he purchase of Indian Home Cooking is in my future.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry