• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ultimate Knife...

pjackso

Thanks!

They are a mix of different Sabatier carbon steel knives from various eras and various lines.

I thought the case was very appropriate for the knives....... I just had to have it, so I paid about $100 bucks for it on Ebay. :rolleyes:

So, what 's your favorite?

I have an old "Elephant" carbon steel 9" chefs that is my workhorse.

My favorite is a little 2 1/2 inch paring knife that is so old, you can't read the markings!

My favorite chef's knife has a 14 inch blade and it is marked on the blade Professional Sabatier.  It is a beautiful tool.

Is the paring knife a Nogent style?

I have a 12" Sabatier Elephant chefs knife that I am also quite fond of. I had a small set of Henckels and a few miscellaneous other knives (low end MACs, etc.), but was smiled on last summer when driving through a small town in KY. I picked up nine 1960s/1970s vintage Elephants at a local antique store for $40. I really like the round bolster of that era of French knife. My girlfriend now has the Germans, and is quite pleased to no longer be using cheap supermarket knives.

[is the paring knife a Nogent style?

I have a 12" Sabatier Elephant chefs knife that I am also quite fond of. I had a small set of Henckels and a few miscellaneous other knives (low end MACs, etc.), but was smiled on last summer when driving through a small town in KY. I picked up nine 1960s/1970s vintage Elephants at a local antique store for $40. I really like the round bolster of that era of French knife. My girlfriend now has the Germans, and is quite pleased to no longer be using cheap supermarket knives.

Yep, it sure is a nogent style knife!

You got a really great deal on your Elephants!!!!!! That price just can't be beat! Are they carbon or stainless?

[is the paring knife a Nogent style?

Yep, it sure is a nogent style knife!

You got a really great deal on your Elephants!!!!!! That price just can't be beat! Are they carbon or stainless?

Two were carbon (a yatagan and a utility) , the rest stainless. However, the stainless still takes and holds an edge better than my Henckels. My 9" is carbon as well as my boning knife.

Even though I have not recieved it yet, I just had to tell you guys about my new/old knife!

I bought it on Ebay, and it is a 14.75 inch [including handle] butcher's knife stamped with the face and hat of a chef and says "VERITABLE BRESDUCK, SABATIER, PARIS, FRANCE, and then "CHEF AU RITZ'. The steel blade goes all the way through the handle and it has 3 rivets.

I didn't have a butchers knife and they seem to be fairly rare in the Sabatier line.....

SABATIERBUTCHER.jpg

Even though I have not recieved it yet, I just had to tell you guys about my new/old knife!

I bought it on Ebay, and it is a 14.75 inch [including handle] butcher's knife stamped with the face and hat of a chef and says "VERITABLE BRESDUCK, SABATIER, PARIS, FRANCE, and then "CHEF AU RITZ'. The steel blade goes all the way through the handle and it has 3 rivets.

I didn't have a butchers knife and they seem to be fairly rare in the Sabatier line.....

SABATIERBUTCHER.jpg

Are you sure that it does not say "BRESWICK?" Nice knife at any rate.

im getting some new knives and im looking for a good case for them, something like a 7-10 knife roll.

In amazon they have a very wide selection, global, wusthof, etc.. and need some advise with them.

Any recommendation?

Thanks!

im getting some new knives and im looking for a good case for them, something like a 7-10 knife roll.

In amazon they have a very wide selection, global, wusthof, etc.. and need some advise with them.

Any recommendation?

Thanks!

I have a Messermeister 17 pocket that works well.

I used to be a Henckels kind of guy, but after getting myself a Global santoku knife, i just fell in love it. It's much easier to sharpen and maintain the edge compared to the henckels which takes forever to sharpen. I just have to be careful when sharpening the Global because i find the metal on the soft side. That's just my opinion. Cheers!!!

Cooking is like a blank piece of paper, anything can happen.