• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wanted: Perigord Truffles in the UK

Has anybody seen Perigord Truffles for sale in London. Booths only had Italian truffles last week and I'm guessing the Caviar places that are selling them are probably charging over the odds. Anybody any idea what market value is at the moment?

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Mathew - I saw a large one at Harvey Nicks about a week or ten days ago. Possibly Harrods will have one. Both will be exceptionally expensive.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Why don't you try Wild Harvest - they're very nice and the selection of white truffles which they had before Christmas was far superior to the diddy little bullets on sale at Booths.

Wild Harvest have Perigord truffles for £755 a kilo, but if you turn up and bargain with them you may be able to get a slightly lower price (as they will save on delivery).

Here is their website.

The price list appears to be out of date as it still has white truffles, which are over.

Has anybody seen Perigord Truffles for sale in London. Booths only had Italian truffles last week and I'm guessing the Caviar places that are selling them are probably charging over the odds. Anybody any idea what market value is at the moment?

you're addicted aren't you :raz:

get yourself down to truffles anonymous!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

you're addicted aren't you :raz:

get yourself down to truffles anonymous!

cheers

gary

Sniff... I can't.. Sniff....help myself man...........

The English harvest has been stunning this year, get out with the dog on Sunday and have a good hunt. Maybe they just taste better for being home-grown.

grivan used to supply Perigords but i am going back a few years now, they may be worth a try.

Borrow the dog and take a trip down around the Bucks/Berks border. The English ones are fairly small compared to their European cousins but they smell just as good and you can harvest plenty provided you beat the crowds of Italian guys on Saturday mornings.

They're a different species, no?

We only have summer truffles (tuber aestivum) here, I thought, whose season should be over. It was a brilliant year for these, I hear, though.

I saw Roger Phillips unearthing specimens the size of his fist on some depressing programe hosted by Tony Francis. This was filmed in November.

• 10 months later...

I called Wild Harvest earlier this week and they had Perigord Truffles at £1100/kg but they shut at 10am. I got an Italian Black truffle from Borough earlier today, some of them smelt very good and are were "only" £750/kg.

Earlier in the week I was told very firmly by a French sounding assistant at Princesse D'Isenbourg et Cie that Perigord Truffles weren't available yet, they only had Italian Autumn Truffles at £350/kg or White truffles. They might want to tell that to Aubergine who were dishing up great Perigord truffle before Christmas. I think she may have been confused, it might be worth ringing to see if they have now got stocks in.

• 1 year later...
Italian Black for £1500/kg at Booth's today. They smelt OK!

Last quoted price from Wild Harvest was £875- or try eurovanille.com as they are selling truffles at the mo too.

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp