• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"AYURVEDA"

Vikas Khanna

SYNOPSIS:

The Ayurveda is the science of life or longevity, which helps in the promotion of health, prevention of disease and in achieving a long holistic life. The basic philosophy of Ayurveda is based on Panchamabhoota (five elements) theory. This theory states that the universe as well as the human body is made of five elements, namely space, earth, fire, water and air. These elements combine to form controlling forces called Doshas. The Doshas are responsible for sustaining the balance between the body, mind and soul. To have a perfect harmony between these three, one needs to understand the classification of Doshas and follow a life style accordingly. This book is my effort to a simplify the oldest science of Life.

Last week my Book on this subject is Published, Ayurveda is a very vast subject as such. I have only researched in context to food and its beliefs.

Vikas Khanna

What's the name of your book, Vikas? Did I understand correctly that Ayurveda: The Science of Food and Life is the title? Who's the publisher? Also, maybe you'd like to have a look at this thread and post some comments on it:

Food and the Humoral System

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

In Manhattan the UWS there is a place called Ayurveda Cafe.. They believe in these same principals and serve one dinner a night.. I think all there servinngs contain something that is sweet, salty, spicy, sour, and bitter.. I have never been but it is certainly on my places to visit list.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Suresh,

Please look at the my new projects in US. Its called "Vision of Palate"

Please write to me your reviews.

VISION OF PALATE

South Asian Kid’s Infinite Visions

By Vikas Khanna

My latest workshops are called "VISION OF PALATE" and are based on my research on The Power of Palate, especially for the people with visual disabilities. During these workshops the students will be tasting of a single spice or herb at a time and define it in the words like "sweet, savory, hot, spicy, refreshing, cold, soothing, woody, aromatic, licorice, fragrant etc"..

The second session begins with a little more complex flavors or blends of spices. Again, the students will have to define the flavors based on aromas, textures and flavors. This will make them understand that they are blessed to distinguish with such sensitive details. I will also be highlighting about the sensitive points of the palate. After this course they will be served yogurt sorbet with grapefruit soup to cleanse the palate again.

With a few minutes of break they will be served small tasting to desserts, which will be all chocolate truffles with different fillings like orange rinds, mangoes, coconut, coffee, lime and cardamom.

Food is a gift of Gods and brings the world together and I feel it is the purest form of expressing your love for the Creator.

The workshops are free.

All donations raised during these workshops will be donated to "Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library" and to cure young children with visual disabilities in South Asia by Save the Children Organization.

40 W 20th Street,

New York, NY 10011

For More Info: Vikas Khanna

Info@vikaskhannanyc.com 1-866-543-2781

Date and Time: 15th March, 2005

2pm to 4pm

I am a bit confused, I thought this was to be a discussion on Ayurveda.

where did this 'Vision of palate' spring from?

Back to Ayurveda, you describe it, Vikas, as a science of logivity.

My understanding has always been that Ayurveda consists of two words

Ayur which means life ( as in birth to death) and veda which is scriptures or book.

So one can call it the Science or Scriptures of Life. It deals with numerous facets of well being,ailments etc and guides one through his passage in life. In an extremely simplistic definition it charachtarises each invidual into a 'body type' and suggests ingestion of various types of food for normal living and also counteracting ailments based on the belief that whatever we ingest has an effect upon us ( based on our body type).

There are mud baths, pastes for application, oil and water therapies and a lot more assossiated with ayurveda but I guess in this forum we are staying with food.

Question for you Vikas ( or any other wise person out there)

growing up in India there were foods that were considered hot and others believed to have a cooling effect.

Yogurt and lassi for example was cooling and recomended in the summmertime but we were told that drinking lassi in the wintertime would lead to arthiritis. Also in the summertime, a thick sweet lassi would make us sleepy and lathargic while a watery thinned down salty version would perk us up.

Would you put this in the realm of aurveda.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

What all you wrote is just fine. Ayurveda is composed of 2 words. Ayur means Life and Veda means science. My research was just about food in reference to the texts of Ayurveda. I have tried to simplify the concept and presented it in a book for American to understand the old beliefs of this wonderful ancient science. Its great that you gave the reference of Lassi, because I have referred to it as well. I have also touched so many myths of food; which are from Ayurveda, but the opposite of American research on food.

Vision of Palate is a totally different subject, I apologize if it was added to the same thread. These are my workshops on flavors and aromas for people with visual disabilities benefiting NYPL for blind and Save the Childern.

I am a bit confused, I thought this was to be a discussion on Ayurveda.

where did this 'Vision of palate' spring from?

Back to Ayurveda, you describe it, Vikas, as a science of logivity.

My understanding has always been that Ayurveda consists of two words

Ayur which means life ( as in birth to death) and veda which is scriptures or book.

So one can call it the Science or Scriptures of Life. It deals with numerous facets of well being,ailments etc and guides one through his passage in life. In an extremely simplistic definition it charachtarises each invidual into a 'body type' and suggests ingestion of various types of food for normal living and also counteracting ailments based on the belief that whatever we ingest has an effect upon us ( based on our body type).

There are mud baths, pastes for application, oil and water therapies and a lot more assossiated with ayurveda but I guess in this forum we are staying with food.

Question for you Vikas  ( or any other wise person out there)

growing up in India there were foods that were considered hot and others believed to have a cooling effect.

Yogurt and lassi for example was cooling and recomended in the summmertime but we were told that drinking lassi in the wintertime would lead to arthiritis. Also in the summertime, a thick sweet lassi would make us sleepy and lathargic while a watery thinned down salty version would perk us up.

Would you put this in the realm of aurveda.