• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Under Fire

I am so enjoying the conversation in Food Media forum about this new show. I see that there will be a live audition here at the Seattle Art Institue on Feb. 4 and I'm wondering if there are any aspiring chefs here on egullet who are going to give it a try?

I am so enjoying the conversation in Food Media forum about this new show.  I see that there will be a live audition here at the Seattle Art Institue on Feb. 4 and I'm wondering if there are any aspiring chefs here on egullet who are going to give it a try?

That does look interesting... I'm not sure I'd actually want to be on a reality TV show, but it might be fun just to go to the audition...

Here's the site with full details. I was toying with the idea of going to the audition, but if by some miracle I was chosen, there's no way I could actually do the show.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Does it look like there's any actual cooking at the audition?  I see a lot about talking about yourself, but no hands-on stuff - am I missing something?

It says:

Please come prepared to show your stuff, including your cooking skills and expertise. Feel free to bring a (small) prop to help you show your stuff — be it an ingredient you love to cook with, or a cooking tool you love to use! (No knives please!)

I'm not sure what you're supposed to be able to cook without knives though.

Does it look like there's any actual cooking at the audition?  I see a lot about talking about yourself, but no hands-on stuff - am I missing something?

It says:

Please come prepared to show your stuff, including your cooking skills and expertise. Feel free to bring a (small) prop to help you show your stuff — be it an ingredient you love to cook with, or a cooking tool you love to use! (No knives please!)

I'm not sure what you're supposed to be able to cook without knives though.

I'm guess the reason they're doing it at a place like the AI Seattle is because a fully equipped kitchen is available, including knives. My guess is that they just don't want people standing/walking around carrying large, sharp knives for liability reasons (and God-forbid some argument arises over cutting in line or something :shock:).

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm guess the reason they're doing it at a place like the AI Seattle is because a fully equipped kitchen is available, including knives.  My guess is that they just don't want people standing/walking around carrying large, sharp knives for liability reasons (and God-forbid some argument arises over cutting in line or something :shock:).

The only knives available at AIS are cutlery. There are no chefs', boning, slicing, bread, paring or any other kinds of knives available. All students bring their knives in a knife kit bag. Some gather so many other little items that the bag isn't large enough. A few use a tool box or fishing tackle box. I use a briefcase. :wacko:

As to why they don't want you to bring knives, I don't know.

From the application...

If selected as the winning contestant, you must be willing to work in a Todd

English restaurant in New York...

Damn!

ELIGIBILITY RULES AND REQUIREMENTS

III. You must be in excellent physical and mental health.

Damn! Damn!

Have you ever had a temporary restraining order issued against you or has

anyone ever attempted to obtain a temporary restraining order against you?

Damn Damn! Damn! :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

ELIGIBILITY RULES AND REQUIREMENTS

III. You must be in excellent physical and mental health.

Damn! Damn!

Have you ever had a temporary restraining order issued against you or has

anyone ever attempted to obtain a temporary restraining order against you?

Damn Damn! Damn!  :laugh:

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this or my keyboard would resemble the Mekong Delta! :raz:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910