• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tilt-head vs bowl-lift

TurtleMeng

I feel I've already asked too many Q's. This one is for my friend's sake though. She has finally decided to buy a KitchenAid after my long lectures. For the homebakers out there, do you guys prefer a tilt-head or bowl-lift?

KitchenAid now has Accolade (tilt-head) @ 400 watts, which I feel is pretty decent for home use.

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

I have several bowl-lift KAs and Hobarts and a tilt-head Viking; I like the bowl lift better, but it could be that I'm just more used to that. Depends on how often your friend will be using it; for occasional use, I'm sure the tilt head is fine.

Don't stop asking questions, it isn't like you have to pay to ask them!!! :biggrin:

I've used both types of KitchenAids.......I prefer the bowl lift models simply because they are the heavier duty models. The tilt head models are like "KitchenAid Lite". I feel that if you're going to invest in a KitchenAid, go whole hog and get the bowl lift model. :rolleyes:

tilt head is nice because it's easier to clean and change out the parts, but it's a little awkward and sometimes a pain.

If I had to make a decision i would get the bowl left just through it's practicality.

And don't stop asking questions, because I don'thave time to think of something to ask, so it's easier for me to anwer/respond or reply. Probably the same for all of us.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I got a tilt-head kitchen-aid for use during Passover (wonderful for all that veggie grating and beating of eggs.) My friends and relatives think I'm a bit crazy but I was happy to have a new toy. My older one is bowl-lift and I didn't really take the height of my upper cabinets into account when I bought the second mixer.

I can't tilt the head up when the mixer is pushed back to the wall. It's not a big problem for the week or so when I actually need it but it might be something to think about.

jayne

As mentioned in the previous post, clearance under your cabinets is something to consider. I have the bowl-lift and have moved recently and it just barely fits under one side of the cabinet. (The cabinets are a bit uneven because if I move it 6" it won't fit.) Get out a measuring tape before buying.

I guess the question for your friend is where is he or she heading with this. I started with the tilt-up but after a few years had gotten so serioud about baking, I stepped up. The older one works fine but I really appreciate the extra size and power of my newer one. If your freind will only bake occassionally, the smaller one is fine but if something more comes of it, a change will be in order at some point. Of course, to paraphrase Yogi Berra, "Prediction can be difficult, especially when it comes to the future."

So long and thanks for all the fish.

The tilt-head can have a tendency to "skip" when working doughs and heavy batters. The model I have also has a tendency to unlatch ocasionally when working heavy items. It's an old KA mixer and works great for a lot of things, but I leave the dough to a newer, bowl-lift, model.

You can never ask to many questions. How else do we learn?

I have a tilt head and for me it works just fine. But then I'm not a heavy duty baker, nor do I do a lot of doughs in mine. Mine is an artisan.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My first KA was a tilt-head but that was a long time ago when they also had glass bowls that did not have all that much capacity. (I still have it as well as a collection of others with the "streamline" design.)

I have had several of the bowl-lift KAs over the years and have one now that I use for general use and smaller batches of batter, etc. Since they are no longer made by Hobart, they do not have the staying power of the older ones.

I have used the newer tilt-heads at the homes of clients many times and as others have stated, they are okay, but if someone is going to spend the bucks on a KA they might as well get one with more power if they have the room for it. It does stand taller than the tilt-head and is somewhat heavier.

(For heavy duty use and larger batches, bread doughs in particular, I have an Electrolux Assistant which is, IMHO, far superior to the KA but also more expensive.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I emailed the link to my friend. She is now stressed out because she had her eyes set on the Accolade from amazon. She used her friend's KA over the wknd, which is a tilt-head, and she thinks it's easier to add the ingredients.

Speaking of that, I kind of have a problem with my bowl-lift from Costco sometimes, but I think my KA on the countertop is a little too high for me (I am 5'3" :angry: ). Does anyone find tasks such as "sifting flour over the eggfoam" easier with the tilt-head? (in reality I don't sift over it, that's impossible. I just pick up parchment paper and dump in)

I also told her it's easier to exchange since we all have Costco around. She said she doesn't want to bother to exchange so she wants to make sure she gets something that doesn't break down. I went back to some old threads...looks like KA CAN break down if it wants to...my 1st one started dancing so I took it back to Costco and got this one...good luck to her...

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

I think this is where what you're used to is what makes the difference. But as others have said, get as much mixer for the money as you (she) can get and go for the largest capacity you can afford on the budget you're working with.

(for the eggfoam/flour part of your post: If I am making a tiny batch of biscuit -sponge cake in a full sheet pan - for which you beat whole eggs, yolks and sugar to the ribbon, and I use the bowl-lift 5 qt KA, I remove the bowl from the mixer and use a strainer to add the flour - when you're adding flour to an eggfoam batter such as this, it needs to be dispersed evenly and dumping it in from parchment (regardless of whether it was sifted first) would cause lumps of flour in the batter. Were I to use my unbelievably useless tilt-head Viking, I would still remove the bowl and do the same thing.)

I agree with andiesenji on the electrolux assistant. I have the older KA liftup 5kss that has failed on me twice making sourdough bread. Although easy to fix, with easy to get parts availability, I feel it should be more sturdier than what it was.

Polack

I bought the bowl-lift KA just because it was the heavier duty model, but I have to admit that quite often when adding ingredients or scraping down the sides I can see where the tilting version would be more convenient.

I have a tilt-head that I got for Christmas years and years ago that has always been just fine for me -- and I love to make brioche and similar doughs. But I would have preferred a bowl-lift if I could have gotten away with exchanging it and not hurting my mother's feelings.

Edited by takomabaker (log)

I've used both (tilt-head at home, bowl-lift at school) and like both. I really don't feel like my tilt-head struggles with anything, and it's been able to handle everything I've thrown in it so far, even really stiff bagel dough (using high gluten flour).

I've seen the Accolade models at Williams-Sonoma and can't say that the color options (or satin finish) thrill me personally, from an aesthetic standpoint, though the extra oomph might be worth it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries