• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenmarket Cafe - Ho Ho Kus, NJ

Hikeleader

• 1 year later...

I've been meaning to go to this place for years now but finally got around to it today. They're very nice and accomodating to your needs and requests. There's also a a couple of tables available for outdoor dining which was great with today's weather. Apparently, lunch is not as busy as evenings but considering it was the tail end of the lunch rush, it was a decent amount of occupied tables.

As for food, it was good, but not extraordinary. Then again, I didn't order something out of the ordinary (spring allergies force me to restrict my diet). The ingredients were definitely fresh and picked at their prime (organic too!), though a few in the mesclun mix were showing a touch of deterioration. The tomatoes were great though-very red and flavorful. The food comes on large dishes to accomodate the portions. From looking at the menu selection, I'm guessing this place shines at dinner moreso then with the "typical" lunch fare of sandwiches and salads, though you can order the dinners anytime. Overall, I'd say the flavors are balanced and the meal light and refreshing on the stomach. I had no room for dessert but I left feeling healthy and refreshed. I'll have to come back and try their other offerings for a better estimation of the chef's abilities.

It is a small restaurant, 1-2 tables outside, maybe 10 inside - I have passed it often, never appeared to be very busy - 2 months ago I was meeting a vegan friend for dinner so it appeared to be "good choice" 7:00 PM , we were the only customers, -- no greeting, no "sit where ever you like, " we asked to see a menu, and was abruptly told to read the board ( a sandwhich board that barely survived the rain, we had bypassed on our way in) the floor looked as if it could stand a strong cleaning -- we left and went to Janice Bistro, located on the other side of the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn, it was busy, my friend had a special order of pasta and veggies that fit into his vegan needs, and I, wonderful mussels with the most crisp, freshly seasoned fries --

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler