• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamilton Street Grill

Chocoholic

Okay..... aside from that... Neil..... I've never had the pleasure of dining at HSG... always felt it was a bit out of my comfort zone due to the location (really, really, really not a trendy kinda gal).  However, after reading many a post here.... I am definitely curious......  any expose will definately be forewarned....  :biggrin:  Yah right  :laugh:  Just kidding....

The HSG is a really comfortable restaurant, and I don't feel intimated dining in there, ever. They have nice, big, wooden booths for you to hide behind if you still need convincing! :wink:

Bring it on, come on down and have the Gingerbread experience. Once that happens, you will be in my power forever !!! Not to worry, I never use my power for evil, only good ! :biggrin:

It's true! Once you've eaten it, your life becomes a junkie's nightmare, dreaming of the blissful dish, trying to get all your friends hooked so you'll have more opportunities to go, compulsively planning your next fix...

I'm gonna regret posting this ...

This Gingerbread addiction has to be a chick thing.

Don't get me wrong ... it's awesome. One of the best desserts I've ever enjoyed. But an addiction? Not for me at least. Get a grip girls :shock::wink::wink:

A.

Come on, you are amongst friends here, embrace your inner girlie man and declare your undying love for the gingerbread. The gingerbread know you love it. The gingerbread loves everyone. All hail the gingerbread. :biggrin:

I liked the gingerbread, but me? I'm a hanger junkie. No steak will ever taste quite the same again - so - not quite the sugar high, but Neil still retains his power :raz:

Oh - and I'm a chick. :cool:

Bring it on, come on down and have the Gingerbread experience. Once that happens, you will be in my power forever !!! Not to worry, I never use my power for evil, only good ! :biggrin:

It's true! Once you've eaten it, your life becomes a junkie's nightmare, dreaming of the blissful dish, trying to get all your friends hooked so you'll have more opportunities to go, compulsively planning your next fix...

I'm gonna regret posting this ...

This Gingerbread addiction has to be a chick thing.

Don't get me wrong ... it's awesome. One of the best desserts I've ever enjoyed. But an addiction? Not for me at least. Get a grip girls :shock::wink::wink:

A.

Come on, you are amongst friends here, embrace your inner girlie man and declare your undying love for the gingerbread. The gingerbread know you love it. The gingerbread loves everyone. All hail the gingerbread. :biggrin:

I liked the gingerbread, but me? I'm a hanger junkie. No steak will ever taste quite the same again - so - not quite the sugar high, but Neil still retains his power :raz:

Oh - and I'm a chick. :cool:

Stop it with the embedded quotes, you're giving me a headache.

Okay..... aside from that... Neil..... I've never had the pleasure of dining at HSG... always felt it was a bit out of my comfort zone due to the location (really, really, really not a trendy kinda gal).  However, after reading many a post here.... I am definitely curious...... 

The HSG is a really comfortable restaurant, and I don't feel intimated dining in there, ever. They have nice, big, wooden booths for you to hide behind if you still need convincing! :wink:

Thanks Ling! Big wooden booths to hide behind are defintely a good thing, especially if my shoes don't match my purse or some other such fashion faux pas that I commit on a daily basis. I wouldn't want to scare the locals :laugh:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Late to the table on this, but HSG became the fifth restaurant on my DOV roster for an impromptu late lunch with a girlfriend on Tuesday.

My menu choices mirrored Arne's. The West Coast Winter Salmon Chowder was fabulous... and a huge bowl of it too. Sweet corn was a nice complimentary flavour for the salmon. And Tuesday's batch was just right in the salt department.

What can I say about the Angus Beef Burger. Bring on the burger love! :wub: The wonderfully soft Portuguese bun was a nice touch, but the mile-high pile of fried onions made my day! After the giganto bowl of chowder, I had to reassess my priorities and brought the lion's share of my salad and yam fries so that I could concentrate my eating efforts on burger bliss while saving room for dessert.

The duo of Belgian Chocolate and Tahitian Vanilla Creme Brulee was an excellent end to the meal. Portion size bang on. Tahitian Vanilla was smooth, creamy and wonderful. However, the Belgian Chocolate was almost like a brulee version of the best, most expensive hot chocolate ever... and yes, that's a very good thing.

All accompanied by a pint of draft beer. Beer and burgers go hand in hand. Neil, maybe you can refresh my memory on which exactly lager it was. Tasty.

Thanks Monsieur Wyles for your oh-so-charming company and yet another great meal. To borrow your words, "it was a little slice of heaven."

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

first let me share my yaletownphobia with you all.

and its real, egulleters , very real.

i avoid the place like the plague.

having said that, and after reading the posts on this forum from nwyles and learning more about the hamilton street grill.

i found myself tonight wondering where mrs transfattyacid and i could have some dinner this evening.

hmmm the HSG was ringing in my head hmm .

but it in yaletown arrrrrrrr ,

needless to say i got to grips with my issues and faced my fears head on.

i booked a table under mrs fattyacids maiden name which, funnily enough sounds like i`m jonesing for the now famous HSG dessert.

for she was born a gingerich

ginger itch gimme the fix maaaaaan !, i`ll sell my pc to fund it maaaan .

we snagged a booth , got some liquids and checked out the menu ,

firstly this is why DOV is good ,

we could not normally afford to eat here, the prices arn`t steep its me i`m poor , i`m a cook and not on the big $$$ yet.

great menus , both of them .

and this place is so down to earth, i was actually enjoying being in yaletown .

we had the $35 choice .

salad , pear pecan stilton number

tuna .

two steaks,with a brandy - peppercorn butter.

and two plates of the dessert of the moment .and bloody good it is too .

it really ,really pleased us to see tastey, mindfully cooked, good food being served without pretension.

after dinner we took a walk round yaletown. no rashes yet but i`m still waiting .

for curiousity`s sake we ambled , arm in arm past glowbal and at that time i wish i had a fluorescent testicle, to show the patrons of chichi places exactly what they are buying in to .

thank you to you neil and your staff

and for your entertainment http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.swf ]a fat guy singing

tt

and for your entertainment  http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.swf ]a fat guy singing

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Great video! He sounds Norwegian or something. Yup. Like a bald, Norwegian kitchen designer.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

and for your entertainment  http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.swf ]a fat guy singing

Great video! He sounds Norwegian or something. Yup. Like a bald, Norwegian kitchen designer.

So, TFA, that's what you sing after gingerbread pudding, eh? :hmmm:

I get it.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

So, TFA, that's what you sing after gingerbread pudding, eh? :hmmm:

I get it.

something along those lines , yes . nice moves don`t ya think ?

tt

• 11 months later...

Four North Shore denizens who are seldom lured out at night, bravely crossed the bridge to the Hamilton Street Grill. We were welcomed at the door by Neil where I explained a little problem. My wife and garlic are mutually exclusive. She ordered the blackened snapper minus the sauces and the onion tart starter. We had the mussel soup and the Hanger steak which was excellent. A lovely bottle of Quails Gate helped.

I unfortunately didn't catch our waiters name but between him and Neil our group was made to feel special. We will be crossing the bridge again. Thanks Neil and?

Baconburner

alias Malcolm Barnes

Thanks Malcolm.

Your server was Steve.

Dine Out has been a smooth affair thus far. Chef Fowke manned the grill on Friday and Saturday ( Part of National "put a Chef to Work Week" ). As we are only doing a Dine OUt menu, it has been smooth sailing.

Had a group of eight no show on Friday night : I called from my cell phone a couple of times after they no showed to try and get someone. He called back today - oh joy !!

Kevin: Hi, you called me a couple of thimes this weekend. What can I do to help you ?

Neil : Is this Kevin K__g ( call display - the wave of the future ! ) ? You made a large group reservation this weekend at my restaurant. The Hamilton Street Grill. I called and confirmed it with you. I held your table for the best part of the night. What happened ?

Kevin : ( silence ).......................uh....... we could not make it.

Neil : Were you out of the country or away from the phone for an extended time ? Were you not able to call us ?

Kevin : ..............................uh............................I'm so sorry.

Neil : I turned away other guests beacuse I was holding your table. I have a business to run and 20 employees depending on me to live up to my commitments. I need you to live up to yours or at least call and let me make the table available to someone else, especially after you confirmed you were coming.

Kevin : ................................uh..........................I do not know what to say, I am dreadfully sorry and will never let it happen again.

Neil : Ok, thanks for calling back and talking to me. Have a good day.

Small consolation for not seating an eight top but at least he feels like a shithead !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Thanks Malcolm.

Your server was Steve.

Dine Out has been a smooth affair thus far. Chef Fowke manned the grill on Friday and Saturday ( Part of National "put a Chef to Work Week" ). As we are only doing a Dine OUt menu, it has been smooth sailing.

Had a group of eight no show on Friday night : I called from my cell phone a couple of times after they no showed to try and get someone. He called back today - oh joy !!

Kevin: Hi, you called me a couple of thimes this weekend. What can I do to help you ?

Neil : Is this Kevin K__g ( call display - the wave of the future ! ) ? You made a large group reservation this weekend at my restaurant. The Hamilton Street Grill. I called and confirmed it with you. I held your table for the best part of the night. What happened ?

Neil : Were you out of the country or away from the phone for an extended time ? Were you not able to call us ?

Kevin : ..............................uh............................I'm so sorry.

Neil : I turned away other guests beacuse I was holding your table. I have a business to run and 20 employees depending on me to live up to my commitments. I need you to live up to yours or at least call and let me make the table available to someone else, especially after you confirmed you were coming.

Kevin : ................................uh..........................I do not know what to say,  I am dreadfully sorry and will never let it happen again.

Small consolation for not seating an eight top but at least he feels like a shithead !

you have larger huevos than me Neil!

Thanks Malcolm.

Your server was Steve.

Kevin : ................................uh..........................I do not know what to say,  I am dreadfully sorry and will never let it happen again.

Nicely done, Neil!

My hat's off to you, chef.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I'm glad I showed for my HSG open table Dine Out reservations! Not just to avoid the threat of Neil stalking me - the food was excellent as well!

Highest ratings for the onion tart! That was a pleasant surprise as the starter. Truly enjoyed both the snapper and hangar steak. Excellent dishes.

Opentable never did credit those 100 dining points they claim to give you when you do show up though. Hm.....

Thanks again, Neil!

Cheers!

I'm glad I showed for my HSG open table Dine Out reservations!  Not just to avoid the threat of Neil stalking me - the food was excellent as well!

Highest ratings for the onion tart!  That was a pleasant surprise as the starter.  Truly enjoyed both the snapper and hangar steak.  Excellent dishes. 

Opentable never did credit those 100 dining points they claim to give you when you do show up though. Hm.....

Thanks again, Neil!

Cheers!

I had a chap cancel, and he said he did it through opentable. He got the cancelation, but we did not.

I will follow up with them and I will mention the dining pointd for you.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Now I know what that sound is when you go into the HSG. Its not the sound of cutlery or glassware, but the sound of Neil’s mammoth brass balls. Note to self: never piss Neil off. :blink:

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

Kevin just needed a little "skoolin'".

No one has taught him it is not nice to make a large group reservation and not show up. He now knows what to do and he knows why it is not a nice thing to do.

At least he did not come up with a lame excuse like " Didn't my friend call you " ( this is the most common one. )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Kevin just needed a little "skoolin'".

No one has taught him it is not nice to make a large group reservation and not show up. He now knows what to do and he knows why it is not a nice thing to do.

At least he did not come up with a lame excuse like " Didn't my friend call you " ( this is the most common one. )

i think i need a little skoolin' from you for when clients no show! that was a good laugh, neil :laugh: thanks~!

Quentina

I will follow up with them and I will mention the dining pointd for you.

Thanks for stalking opentable. They corrected the posting. You are by far the most effective stalking chef I've ever met! You are able to right the wrongs of a no-show and right the wrongs of the e-commerce age. You deserve a special ring (or maybe a super fancy speedial mobile phone). :wink:

Cheers!