• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamilton Street Grill

Chocoholic

This wasn't really planned as a DOV meal but since DOV is raging on all around us, it turned into one!

After a quick chat Saturday afernoon with Neil we decided to come in early to beat the rush. Our son Kai fell asleep on the way in so we were given the table in the back that has a convienent stroller parking spot next to it.

I went for the obvious, hanger steak and gingerbread pudding. This required a small tweak to the DOV menu since the $25 menu has the steak but the $35 menu has the pudding. The $25 menu starts with a salmon chowder which was lovely, nice and creamy with a good potato flavor to it as well. The hanger steak was great! Kudos to the server for explaining the intricacies of this cut, I guess it can take some people by surprise. I was well prepared however and loved it. The expression on my red meat phobic wife's face was amusing as well :raz:

My wife also insisted on sharing the gingerbread pudding (which lived up to its reputation), I am very protective of my desserts but for the sake of our family harmony I agreed. Kai woke up during dessert and loved the pumpkin ice cream that comes with the pudding.

My wife didn't have the DOV menu but went a la carte instead. She had the wonton soup and the halibut, both of which she devoured. She did the 'clean the plate with bread' thing meaning she really loved the food.

I had the wine pairing as well, a glass of Gewurtz with the soup and a Merlot with the steak. They went down very well.

Thanks to Neil for accomodating us at the last minute and for the hospitality. HSG was just ramping up when we sat down at 5:30pm, we left around 7:15pm at which time the place was fully slammed.

During a wander with my son I discovered the back room with the bar. I know where I am having my birthday party this year!

Edited by Chocoholic (log)

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

A little behind on my posts as I've been eating all weekend and had to work today :blink:

I was also at HSG on Saturday night ... didn't know to look for Chocoholic, and as we arrived at 7 to a nearly packed restaurant, and I knew I would meet Neil on Sunday at West, I didn't try to get a moment in there either. However I did ask our server for a special favour ... to substitute my regular $ 25. menu dessert with the gingerbread pudding, and I agree it lives up to all expectations and beyond - I believe I tasted cardamom ... big fan of that here!

Surprise, surprise, I had the hanger steak - very flavourful and delicious, as were everything I tasted. I normally dine out with my husband and we try to order a variety so that we can try as many things as possible. He had the lamb shanks on polenta, even though polenta is not usually his first choice. He kept commenting throught the main at how good it was, maybe it was the inclusion of aged cheddar, or perhaps just extra cream, it was definately extra creamy in taste. He didn't let me have any onion confit though - so I had a few extra little forkfuls of polenta!

We also had a diner eating the salmon who was most pleased! And I haven't yet mentioned the chowder to start ... delightful, both delicate and creamy. I shared my gingerbread and there was plenty for everyone to have a nice taste of that - in turn I had several bites of the creme brule.

At our table we had bar drinks, beer, wine pairings as suggested and pelligrino. We decided to head out for coffee - stopped in to see Alistair - it is customary in Italy to walk after dinner and before coffee ... it was a bit wet, but we had a little stroll. But before I leave off on my first HSG experience, I have to comment on the lively buzz in the room. Lots of energy, people eating good food and having fun. Friendly, welcoming and comfortable, delicious and satisfying food make it very easy to see how many people can addopt this as their yaletown social centre.

Thanks to Neil and all the crew at Hamilton Street Grill!

Today was my turn to shout for lunch with Justin, the owner of the company I contract with. I had been meaning to take Justin to the HSG for a while now, and with DOV running it was an easy choice.

Choices were as follows:

Justin:

• Caesar Salad
  • Angus Beef Burger
  • Melody of Crème Brule

Me:

• West Coast Winter Salmon Chowder
  • Angus Beef Burger
  • Melody of Crème Brule

Justin doesn't share :sad: so I can't comment on the salad except that Justin said it was "really good." The chowder on the other hand was wonderful. I am a big fan of Neil's soups, and I hope this one finds its way onto the menu permanently. Seafood soups often over-cook fish like salmon, even if its added later. Not here. The only negative ... just no nobody can accuse me of shilling :cool: ... was that I would have liked it a little less salty.

The burger! Oh jeez. I feel like taking a nap right now. Angus beef (cooked properly :wink: ) piled high with gilled onions and Monterey Jack (right?) cheese. We opted for Yam fries. I am NOT a burger fiend ... I eat beef sparingly ... but I could have eaten two of these. Where do you get the buns Neil?

I know what you're thinking. "No Gingerbread, Arne? Are you mad??" No, not mad, just full. I didn't even think I was going to have room for the Crème Brule, but somehow managed. The Belgian Chocolate whomped ass over the Tahitian Vanilla. Both were good, but the Vanilla was just good. The Chocolate was rich and not too sweet which Crème Brule can often be.

Washed down with a glass of Mission Hill 5 Vineyrads Merlot.

Service was terrific as always. Neil was too busy to come out and make me look important in front of Justin (ingrate!! :laugh: ). Justin was suitably impressed just the same and said he'd be returning.

Will I go back? ... ummm ... well ... I'm sure there's a bowl of soup there in my future. :rolleyes:

Thanks again Neil!

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Vancouver Lee and I went for an unofficial pre-Burger Club burger lunch at HSG today.

He started with the soup and I had the Caesar. Our waiter (whose name I don't know :blush:) encouraged Lee to have more pepper on his chowder...when Lee's eyes stopped watering, he said he liked it. :laugh: Sorry, Lee! My salad was good, nice hint of anchovy in there (unless my tastebuds were playing tricks on me), lots of cheese, I love a Caesar!

The moment came: the burger! we had half and half potatoes and yams, SO delish those yams! the fries were also really good, that nice crisp on the outside, tender inside. Mayonnaise :wub: !

The burger! yum! the onions! divine (boy I love carmelized onions more than some of my relatives). The beef also flavoured with onions and I'm not sure what else, the cheese, lovely and melty...the bun: potato bun I think? so soft and nice, the bacon, all bacony :raz: I couldn't quite finish the burger, as I needed to save room for the pudding. Well, I mean, any one of you would do the same.

As a particular favour (and no doubt the kolachy I bribed him with helped a bit, eh? :wink:) we got to have pudding instead of crème brûlée.

I am happy to inform you that Vancouver Lee has been duly afforded membership in the eGullet HSG Gingerbread Pudding Addicts Society.

I got back to work two hours after I left! shocking! but what can you do? It was worth every minute! And I sure know why I don't normally have a three-course lunch! keeping my eyes open this afternoon was a major chore. Lee kept teasing me with tales of his nap-able comfy chair office and the nap his afternoon would doubtless include :hmmm: I keep telling my bosses we need a couch, that 15-minute lie-down would let me work so much better all afternoon! but they won't go for it.

Thank you again, Neil, that was a lovely lovely lunch, especially for a Monday, and I even lucked out with the sunny weather for the walk to and fro. And thank you Lee! fellow 80s music addict and Chameleons fan :cool: OH and that big concert I was talking about? Bauhaus is playing, too!

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

My final DOV meal was lunch today at Hamilton Street Grill, and I had the pleasure of sharing it with Deborah. I'll let her post her own impressions of her meal and just stick to my own.

I started with the salmon chowder. I didn't find it overly salty, as Arne did, just warm creamy goodness that made quick work of the chill I had all morning.

The angus burger was fabulous. Arne's comments are dead accurate - perfectly cooked, piled high with onions (which I usually don't like but apparently I like them when Neil cooks! :biggrin: ) on a soft bun. Heaven. :wub:

We both had Gingerbread pudding for desert. Our server (Eric, who was stellar) put a much larger portion down in front of Deborah than in front of me, which I didn't understand until I remembered that Deborah brough Neil a Kolachy when she arrived - clearly the route to an extra-large helping of gingerbread pudding runs through the Kolachy Shop and straight to Neil's stomach. :laugh:

Much has been said about the Gingerbread pudding here, and I'll only add that it's all true. :wub::biggrin:

Neil, thanks for a great lunch. As the Governor of California used to say, "I'll be Bach".

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Lee kept teasing me with tales of his nap-able comfy chair  office and the nap his afternoon would doubtless include :hmmm: I keep telling my bosses we need a couch, that 15-minute lie-down would let me work so much better all afternoon! but they won't go for it.

A sunny afternoon, gingerbread pudding and a nap. It doesn't get much better than that. :cool:

And thank you Lee! fellow 80s music addict and Chameleons fan :cool: OH and that big concert I was talking about? Bauhaus is playing, too!

My pleasure! Bauhaus, eh? Wonder if my old combat boots still fit? :laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Just got back from the DOV at Hamilton Street Grill. Let me preface this review by saying that I had a 9pm reservation and thus stopped eating at 3pm (I was working from 3:30-8:30pm). If you know me, this is an astronomical feat. I was starving by the time I reached the restaurant. My stomach had been growling (rather embarrassing, my students kept laughing at me) all afternoon. And I am stuffed after my meal. Truly, HSG serves Ling-sized portions. And the food was delicious!

I started with the pecan, pear and stilton salad, on Neil's suggestion, and the salad did not disappoint. My bf had the salmon chowder, which was both hearty and tasty. Appetizers were served with some sort of quickbread topped with garlic, and a salmon butter (if I'm not mistaken.) Then my bf had the lamb shanks with polenta, a huge plate of food that held two shanks (one which he so generously offered to me :wub: ) along with roasted vegetables. The lamb was amazingly tender and flavorful; I wouldn't change a thing. I had the hangar steak with mashed potatoes, which also came with the same roasted vegetables (my favourite were the crunchy, sweet parsnips). The sauce was that thick, rich, dark stuff that I just can't do at home--every bit was mopped up with bread.

With our meal, we both had a cocktail (I had the Girl Talk, made with strawberry liqueur!) and some Sandhill Two (a cab franc blend, I believe).

Enough has been said about the gingerbread pudding so it would be suffice to say I enjoyed it every bit as much as I ever did, and the pumpkin ice-cream has a dear place in my heart (and stomach).

Neil was, as always, a consummate host and made the evening all the more enjoyable.

Edited by Ling (log)

Hello, my name is Andrew and I've never been to the Hamilton Street Grill. :huh:

Neil, one day soon.  :smile:

I already know what I'm having, too.

My name is Sarah and I've never been there either, not sure if I'm cool enough to eat in Yaletown. I bet Neil is just dying to have me comment on his food though :rolleyes:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

With my burning desire to try a hangar steak and all the positive reviews, I'm almost ready to forgive and forget my last visit and give the HSG a second chance.

go'on... yah gotta give every place a second chance at the very least :smile: I won't ask what happened on your last visit....... :hmmm:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

With my burning desire to try a hangar steak and all the positive reviews, I'm almost ready to forgive and forget my last visit and give the HSG a second chance.

Holy Crap , have I been waiting to hear that !!

A little background folks.

Inanimate has his own website / blog - www.inanimate.com

I google "Hamilton Street Grill" every now and then to see what is out there.

This is the very first thing I ever saw about my restaurant online - go ahead, check it out, I'm Ok with that. Let's get this out in the open !

I did not realize there ever was an " Asshole Chef of the Year Award " and I certainly was not looking to compete.

The long and short of it was we simply ran out of food. The train came off of the rails. Crash and burn, over and out. I have never had a day like that in my life and he was there to experience it. Every time I google, I see it. It teases me, I try to ignore it but it calls to me. I check it out every now and then. It is like a car crash - you don't want to look but you always do.

You can't undo what has been done but this is one of the things that is out there that causes me to shake my head !

Bring it on, come on down and have the Gingerbread experience. Once that happens, you will be in my power forever !!! Not to worry, I never use my power for evil, only good ! :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

This is the very first thing I ever saw about my restaurant online - go ahead, check it out, I'm Ok with that. Let's get this out in the open !

I did not realize there ever was an " Asshole Chef of the Year Award " and I certainly was not looking to compete.

The long and short of it was we simply ran out of food. The train came off of the rails. Crash and burn, over and out. I have never had a day like that in my life and he was there to experience it. Every time I google, I see it. It teases me, I try to ignore it but it calls to me. I check it out every now and then. It is like a car crash - you don't want to look but you always do.

You can't undo what has been done but this is one of the things that is out there that causes me to shake my head !

Bring it on, come on down and have the Gingerbread experience. Once that happens, you will be in my power forever !!! Not to worry, I never use my power for evil, only good ! :biggrin:

Oh sure... you want him to come on down with his nasty comments but what about me? :sad:

edited to add that I have not actually read what inanimate had to say.... just guessing that the comments may have been unfavourable due to inanimate's own post..... if I'm mistaken, mea culpa and all that :blink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Oh sure... you want him to come on down with his nasty comments but what about me? :sad:

Shhhhh, it is all just a ploy. I am going to beat him about the head with a large rolling pin and then carve another notch in the handle ! Do you really want some of that too ? :raz:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Shhhhh, it is all just a ploy. I am going to beat him about the head with a large rolling pin and then carve another notch in the handle ! Do you really want some of that too ? :raz:

Let's not get into that shall we :wink:

But I've actually just checked inanimate's website and any ref. to HSG seems to have vanished into thin air :hmmm:

sarah

But I've actually just checked inanimate's website and any ref. to HSG seems to have vanished into thin air :hmmm:

It will always be burned on my retina so not to worry. I do not recall a negative comment from you about the HSG - have I missed something ? Are you planning a major expose? Prepare me as I do not like surprises. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

But I've actually just checked inanimate's website and any ref. to HSG seems to have vanished into thin air

"....and so began a sequence of events that moved inexorably towards its tragic conclusion. An innocent made welcome, a deadly and calculated turn of events, the night would end in a flurry of hangar steaks and the last gasp of an unwitting eGulleter."

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Let's not get into that shall we  :wink:

But I've actually just checked inanimate's website and any ref. to HSG seems to have vanished into thin air  :hmmm:

Oh It's still there. I just checked to be sure I hadn't lost that piece of my caustic nature and backed down from an old opinion I formed. To be fair, it's over 2 years old and I never did give him that second chance. I tend to give out very few second chances on a bad turn since I figure there's always someone out there deserving of their first chance from me. Such is dining here or anywhere. If not for the overwhelming good will that neil enjoys on this forum, I might never have gotten to that point with him. I hadn't even known until just a couple of months ago that he had ever read that comment, nor had I ever talked to him about it until tonight.

But my stomach will have its way, and I'm sure I'll end up trying the hanger and gingerbread pudding soon. Maybe meat builds better bridges than concrete.

Do excuse me if I come in with a helmet and a 8" global strapped to my leg. :smile:

It will always be burned on my retina so not to worry. I do not recall a negative comment from you about the HSG - have I missed something ? Are you planning a major expose? Prepare me as I do not like surprises. :biggrin:

Oh I'm having so much fun tonight... every time I try to reply my computer craps out on me... perhaps it is trying to save me from myself... but alas... so far... I win!

Okay..... aside from that... Neil..... I've never had the pleasure of dining at HSG... always felt it was a bit out of my comfort zone due to the location (really, really, really not a trendy kinda gal). However, after reading many a post here.... I am definitely curious...... any expose will definately be forewarned.... :biggrin: Yah right :laugh: Just kidding....

sarah

:laugh:

It's true! Once you've eaten it, your life becomes a junkie's nightmare, dreaming of the blissful dish, trying to get all your friends hooked so you'll have more opportunities to go, compulsively planning your next fix...

:shock:

I mean that in a good way!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

It's true! Once you've eaten it, your life becomes a junkie's nightmare, dreaming of the blissful dish, trying to get all your friends hooked so you'll have more opportunities to go, compulsively planning your next fix...

I'm gonna regret posting this ...

This Gingerbread addiction has to be a chick thing.

Don't get me wrong ... it's awesome. One of the best desserts I've ever enjoyed. But an addiction? Not for me at least. Get a grip girls :shock::wink::wink:

A.

Don't get me wrong ... it's awesome. One of the best desserts I've ever enjoyed. But an addiction? Not for me at least. Get a grip girls :shock::wink::wink:

A.

Come on, you are amongst friends here, embrace your inner girlie man and declare your undying love for the gingerbread. The gingerbread know you love it. The gingerbread loves everyone. All hail the gingerbread. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

A.

All I'm going to say is...Uh-Huh!!

A.

Come on, you are amongst friends here, embrace your inner girlie man and declare your undying love for the gingerbread. The gingerbread know you love it. The gingerbread loves everyone. All hail the gingerbread. :biggrin:

OK, now we're just starting to sound cultish!

The Cult of the Gingerbread! All hail our great leader Neil........wait....Gingerbread..... :laugh: