• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best rum pre-post Castro

giacomo

hi,

i'm currently doing research for a novel and need some input about spirits competition in the early 60's, shortly after the cuba embargo went into effect.  if anyone has any information or history about this era or where i can find it, please post.  i am trying to find out as much as i can about rum production before and after the revolution and the availability of cuban rum after the embargo, through smuggling.  also, if anyone can direct me to a history of spirits competition, that would be of tremendous help.

thanks,

giacomo

j_castronovo@yahoo.com

if anyone has any information or history about this era or where i can find it, please post.

You might try contacting the offices Bacardi North America in Miami.  They are on Biscayne Blvd.  They have documented their own history, pre and post Castro and may be willing to share their history with you.  Their facilities were taken over by the Castro government who began production of Havana Club rum, which is sold in Spain and elsewhere in Europe.

Giacomo..... Would like to see your novel, when you are published. Please keep the forum informed as I think a lot of people would be interested.     As far as research is concerned there are various Cuban rum History books (in Spanish) and other books on Bacardi.

There is a new book to be published June/July this year, publishers not known...

".BACARDI: The Hidden War"....BY HERNANDO CALVO OSPINA & STEPHEN WILKINSON.

ISBN: 0-7453-1874-6 (HC)  or ...-8 (PB).

List price aprox $70.00 (HC) or $ 20.00 (PB).

Thats all I know untill June/July when the book is released. You could try searching it out through your local book store.  It might be informative,  good luck.

John Reekie