• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for rare Dutch gin

simdelish

For years my dad has reminisced about some Dutch gin a Dutch officer shared with him, during the war. Even at the time, it was very special and hard to come by. My dad said it was the best thing he had ever tasted, and for years has longed for a bottle. For Christmas this past year, my husband (sort of) tried to find some here in D.C., but really didn't know what he was looking for. All of the stores seemed to know what he was talking about, but all said they rarely get it, haven't had for several months, never get it, etc.

It's my parents 60th (whoa!) anniversary this month, so... another good excuse to still try to find some of this special stuff!

Can anyone help? What exactly am I looking for? If I had a name, I could more easily search the web perhaps. If there's more than one kind (I assume), can anyone recommend something in particular? What kind of price are we talking about, and how could I go about getting it? Do I have to order from Europe, or get a local store to special order? Or is there anyone out there that can put their hands on some and send me?

any help or advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I'm sure someone that knows a lot more than me will step in, but here is some information that may help get you started:

The traditional Dutch gins are called "genever" or "jenever". (There may be other sp as well).

I tasted a bunch on a trip to Amsterdam and The Hague, but I didn't take any tasting notes. They're ususally drunk neat and they are generally grouped into "new" or "old" categories.

There are many brands available in the Netherlands--but in looking in stores and reading earlier egullet boards, I don't think that that many are imported to the US.

Here's an article that talks a little more about some Dutch gins available in the US. As you'll see in the article, many of the larger exporters/producers make "international" style gin-- i.e. not like the older, traditional genevers.

It would seem difficult to find the exact same one that your Dad had w/out other info but maybe buying the best genever gin you can find would stir up nice memories for him...

I bet some other egulleteer will know more about what genever's you can get in the US...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

A little off topic but, The Old Raj Gin.   Tried it?  Worth the price?

Hi kguetzow.

You might get more feedback posting your question here

or

here .

Welcome to egullet by the way! :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

A little off topic but, The Old Raj Gin.  Tried it?  Worth the price?

I will confess to not having had it but the word that I hear is that whilst it is good it is really not worth the exceedingly high price. I am also led to believe that some do not like the balance of the botanicals

• 2 weeks later...

Genever is hard to find in the U.S. but you can definitely find it. The most common type is called Bols, I believe. Usually comes in a tall circular-circumference clay or ceramic-looking bottle. Genever is generally divided into two basic categories, young and old, or oude. Oude Genever is much smoother and more flavorful in my opinion, not surprisingly.

I keep a bottle in my freezer and drink it straight, like the old Dutch men do. I have never seen it mixed with anything, but someone who had a better sense of the combination of flavorings might come up with some great cocktails. It is definitely not something you would use in a martini, as it is a bit sweeter and not as dry as the standard English-style gin. Oude genever is also not clear, looks a bit piss-like, and probably doesnt quite cut a classy pose in a martini glass.

I love the stuff. Good luck finding it.

Thomas Secor

• 3 weeks later...
I bet some other egulleteer will know more about what genever's you can get in the US...

The BevMo liquor store chain here in CA carries the jonge Boomsma gin, cited in the article as one of the most authentic.

For what it is worth, I think Anchor Junipero is more in the style of Dutch gins than London Dry. Certainly, I can't imagine wasting it in a mixed drink. Some of my friends from Poland claimed it tasted more like a traditional juniper liquor from their homeland than a gin.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The BevMo liquor store chain here in CA carries the jonge Boomsma gin, cited in the article as one of the most authentic.

Picked up a bottle of the boomsma jonge gin yesterday and had a taste test with the other three gins in the house, Plymouth, Junipero and Gordon's.

It is fairly reasonable here (~$15); but, isn't really in the same league as the two "premium" gins. It has nice body; but, is considerably more restrained scent and flavor-wise. Not bad, just not spectacular. To me it is closest to what I call the "Old Spice" flavor profile of Gordon's.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Can anyone help?  What exactly am I looking for?  If I had a name, I could more easily search the web perhaps.  If there's more than one kind (I assume), can anyone recommend something in particular?  What kind of price are we talking about, and how could I go about getting it?  Do I have to order from Europe, or get a local store to special order?  Or is there anyone out there that can put their hands on some and send me?

My girlfriend got a bottle of "Leyden Dry Gin" somewhere in DC or Baltimore, but she doesn't remember where. Made in the Netherlands in a pot still , but perhaps not a genever gin? It says to call "1-888-Leyden1" on the back, perhaps they'd be able to point you towards a retailer.

It didn't strike me as particularly distinctive, maybe a little bit sweeter than normal? This coming from a fan of Tanqueray Ten and Hendrick's. (maybe I just like wimpy gins in my martinis, although for cocktails with citrus juice I generally use a more junipery gin--Citadelle at the moment.)

Here's an article that talks a little more about some Dutch gins available in the US.  As you'll see in the article, many of the larger exporters/producers make "international" style gin-- i.e. not like the older, traditional genevers.

I've had gin exactly twice in my life. Both times, I had only one drink (so, an ounce and a half at the most). Both times, I had hallucinations (at least I think those people talking to me weren't real... :laugh: )

Do you think genever would have the same effect as gin? What else is in it as far as botanicals go? Just the juniper? I can eat sauerkraut prepared with juniper berries and have no problems with it.

I've had gin exactly twice in my life. Both times, I had hallucinations...

Do you think genever would have the same effect as gin? What else is in it as far as botanicals go? Just the juniper?

Wow. Hallucinations, eh? If I were you I would probably stay away from Gin and Genever! I mean unless they were fun hallucinations. Seriously, it might be a food allergy of some sort.

I think the botanicals vary from Gin to Gin.

Found this page on the Plymouth Gin website, they use seven botanicals, "angelica and orris roots, cardamom pods, orange and lemon peels, coriander seeds and juniper berries."

http://www.plymouthgin.com/index.cfm?articleid=183

Bombay Sapphire uses, "almonds, lemon peel, licorice, juniper, orris root, angelica, coriander, cassia bark, cubeb berries, grains of Paradise." Grains of paradise are cardamom relatives and cubeb berries are related to black pepper; but, with a more pronounced bitterness.

Tanqueray admit to Juniper, angelica, coriander, and fennel on their website.

Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 4 weeks later...

One of the advantages of living in Philadelphia is occasional ridiculously cheap airfare to Amsterdam. During off-months, a round trip trip nonstop ticket goes for under $250. When the price is right, I head over for a long weekend for books, great food and old friends.

*If* you should get to Amsterdam, be certain to visit Joseph Noord's wijnhandel on Singel (right off the floating flower market). Noord contracts to have a selection of private-label alcohols available in his shop. A few gaggy examples are strictly for the tourist market, but his zeer oude genever is fantastically sublime; it comes in the traditional straight-sided brown ceramic bottle.

Yes, it's an old man's drink, much like American bourbon, but likewise enjoying a renaissance. After about five weeks of aging, genever (also jenever) doesn't improve much and the oude ("old") refers to the pre-WWII style rather than the age of what's in the bottle. It's a heavier, more hay-like taste than the jonge style and is my personal favorite. I always bring it back with me and keep in my freezer until the supply runs dry.

Never mix it; always drink chilled. Some folks prefer to pour carefully enough in a tulp -- a small, tulip-shaped glass -- so that surface tension allows the liquid to bulge over the edge without spilling. It would not be entirely improper to then lean over, sip until the level goes down enough to pick up the glass, and finish it off.

Wijand Focking is also fantastic and worth seeking out (Don't be an ass and ask clerks for "focking gin" -- they've heard it before; it's not accurate and it's still not funny. Well...Maybe just a little.)

Matthew B. Rowley

Rowley's Whiskey Forge, a blog of drinks, food, and the making thereof

Author of Moonshine! (ISBN: 1579906486)

• 7 months later...
One of the advantages of living in Philadelphia is occasional ridiculously cheap airfare to Amsterdam.  During off-months, a round trip trip nonstop ticket goes for under $250. When the price is right, I head over for a long weekend for books, great food and old friends. 

*If* you should get to Amsterdam, be certain to visit Joseph Noord's wijnhandel on Singel (right off the floating flower market).  Noord contracts to have a selection of private-label alcohols available in his shop.  A few gaggy examples are strictly for the tourist market, but his zeer oude genever is fantastically sublime;  it comes in the traditional straight-sided brown ceramic bottle.

Yes, it's an old man's drink, much like American bourbon, but likewise enjoying a renaissance.  After about five weeks of aging, genever (also jenever) doesn't improve much and the oude ("old") refers to the pre-WWII style rather than the age of what's in the bottle.  It's a heavier, more hay-like taste than the jonge style and is my personal favorite.  I always bring it back with me and keep in my freezer until the supply runs dry. 

Never mix it; always drink chilled.  Some folks prefer to pour carefully enough in a tulp -- a small, tulip-shaped glass -- so that surface tension allows the liquid to bulge over the edge without spilling.  It would not be entirely improper to then lean over, sip until the level goes down enough to pick up the glass, and finish it off. 

Wijand Focking is also fantastic and worth seeking out (Don't be an ass and ask clerks for "focking gin" -- they've heard it before;  it's not accurate and it's still not funny.  Well...Maybe just a little.)

Genever is the hot item revisited from the past. there are three main brands avlible in the U.S.

Zuidam distributed from Chicago - look up thier website

Damrak from bols a modern jonge genever distributed from Remey Amerique in NY

Boomsma jong and oude niether one of these are great but they will suffice

I suggest writting some of the major producers of genevers in the neatherlands at thier websites to help get more genevers to the U.S.

Bokma distilers

Bols

Dekuyper

Zuidam

boomsma

and thier are many more

It is true that the Dutch drink genever strait. However there re also many cocktails that can be made from genever and are avalible at drink boy.com and bols.com. I come from a dutch family and find it very difficult to find a good selection of genvers in the united states but I am working on it. I think it is a drink catagory that is worth revisiting. Let the Dutch companies know you want their genevers and hopefully more distubtuion will start happening to the U.S. It is just that most people in the U.S. dont understand that genever is more like wiskey. Its malty sweet taste is underscored by the flavor of juniper so when making dirinks it does not perfom like london dry. however there are many great recipies on the internet and they are well worth trying :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
One of the advantages of living in Philadelphia is occasional ridiculously cheap airfare to Amsterdam.  During off-months, a round trip trip nonstop ticket goes for under $250. When the price is right, I head over for a long weekend for books, great food and old friends. 

*If* you should get to Amsterdam, be certain to visit Joseph Noord's wijnhandel on Singel (right off the floating flower market).  Noord contracts to have a selection of private-label alcohols available in his shop.  A few gaggy examples are strictly for the tourist market, but his zeer oude genever is fantastically sublime;  it comes in the traditional straight-sided brown ceramic bottle.

Yes, it's an old man's drink, much like American bourbon, but likewise enjoying a renaissance.  After about five weeks of aging, genever (also jenever) doesn't improve much and the oude ("old") refers to the pre-WWII style rather than the age of what's in the bottle.  It's a heavier, more hay-like taste than the jonge style and is my personal favorite.  I always bring it back with me and keep in my freezer until the supply runs dry. 

Never mix it; always drink chilled.  Some folks prefer to pour carefully enough in a tulp -- a small, tulip-shaped glass -- so that surface tension allows the liquid to bulge over the edge without spilling.  It would not be entirely improper to then lean over, sip until the level goes down enough to pick up the glass, and finish it off. 

Wijand Focking is also fantastic and worth seeking out (Don't be an ass and ask clerks for "focking gin" -- they've heard it before;  it's not accurate and it's still not funny.  Well...Maybe just a little.)

Genever is the hot item revisited from the past. there are three main brands avlible in the U.S.

Zuidam distributed from Chicago - look up thier website

Damrak from bols a modern jonge genever distributed from Remey Amerique in NY

Boomsma jong and oude niether one of these are great but they will suffice

I suggest writting some of the major producers of genevers in the neatherlands at thier websites to help get more genevers to the U.S.

Bokma distilers

Bols

Dekuyper

Zuidam

boomsma

and thier are many more

It is true that the Dutch drink genever strait. However there re also many cocktails that can be made from genever and are avalible at drink boy.com and bols.com. I come from a dutch family and find it very difficult to find a good selection of genvers in the united states but I am working on it. I think it is a drink catagory that is worth revisiting. Let the Dutch companies know you want their genevers and hopefully more distubtuion will start happening to the U.S. It is just that most people in the U.S. dont understand that genever is more like wiskey. Its malty sweet taste is underscored by the flavor of juniper so when making dirinks it does not perfom like london dry. however there are many great recipies on the internet and they are well worth trying :smile:

Zuidam Genever is exelent and it is being distibuted from chicacago to many other states. This genever is exelent full bodied and very well done. It is also avalible on internetwines.com. I actualy made a cosmo with it and it was outstanding. I also used the zuidam genever to make a "manhattan" and a negroni and a martini all of which were superbe. One must alway take into acount that a genever will perfom more like wiskey than gin but it has an underlying note of juniper so it creates for a very interesting base liquor. Zuidam also makes a dry gin witch is also exelent it has full rich flavors of natural botanicles and makes an amazing martini or dubonet cocktail. If you call zuidam U.S. in chicago talk to Richard Ward he is very nice and extreemly helpfull. :smile: