• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mocca?

KCMiller

This Hungarian restaurant does still exist (Second Ave @ 82 Street), but apart from that I can be of little help. I've never been and I've heard hardly anything about it.

What kind of restaurant are you (welcome by the way) looking for? If you're looking for something mid-European you might consider Wallse, 344 W 11 st (at Washington st, 212/352-2300). The Austrian the chef, Gutenbrunner, has been getting quite a bit of attention over the last year. I've been only once, and I rate the food good to very good with interesting Austrian wines. Nice place. From what I can gather and while emphasizing that I've never been to Mocca, Wallse might be a little more up-beat than Mocca.

Mocca is the real deal.  For something like $15.00, you get a three course meal that is delicious, filling and reasonably authentic.  Frankly, I don't have a clue how they make money at that price point.  

The owners and waitresses are all old time Hungarians.  The point re: atmosphere is fair.  This is NOT a happening place, but a local Yorkville restaurant that is frequented by a number of Hungarians and others.

My in-laws are Hungarian and I go there frequently and recommend it.  Most everything on the menu is good.

• 1 year later...

Had supper there tonight. Prix fix was $16.95. Had appetizer of ribs - which were great. Then had weiner schnitzel for main. Served with potatoes and some creamed broccoli which was great. Also included was dessert and I had some of the rum cake. The meal was great and I noticed a lot of old timers in there. This is not a 'trendy' place by far but you will not leave hungry I promise you.

I went 2 or 3 years ago and found it authentic but kind of mediocre, though authentically heavy and then some. But who knows what might have changed in the interim, or whether their regular cook was there the time I went.

Michael aka "Pan"

My 92 grandpa has not once eaten a meal out with me without mentioning Mocca and that there used to be so many good Hungarian places in the city. He often names a few, but I can't remember any of them. Mocca's a good place. Great that it's still around.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

In the 70s, I used to enjoy the Green Tree on Amsterdam and 111 St. It was a good neighborhood restaurant, although their vegetables were frozen. The Hungarian bakery was originally started as a sideline to the restaurant.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ah! My Grandpa used to love Mrs. Terhes Old Hungary and a Czech place called The Rooch. Both places, I'm sure, were very cheap. He looooves cheap.

Poor Mocca. Elyse, why was it so awful?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The goulash was tough, nothing was seasoned well, spatzel blah, some app I don't even remember. I was really excited to go there, and was completely and totally let down on all counts. I did like the decor, though.

• 1 year later...

Hi There,

Yes, Mocca has moved a block or two down from its original location on second avenue. It is sharing its current location with another restaurant called Frankie's.

I agree with the common sentiment expressed here: Mocca is not the hippest joint in town. However, the authentic cooking and hungarian staff make eating at this restaurant a very interesting experience.

I used to live in Budapest and when I first moved to nyc, I would eat at Mocca atleast once a month in an effort to remember Budapest via the Hungarian cuisine. I would normally get the chicken schnitzel (you can try out some Hungarian with the servers and call it "rantott csirke") and the spaetzle for a main course. I always enjoyed the cauliflower as an appetizer and who can pass up dios palacsinta (crepes filled with crushed walnuts)?

It's been a few years since I've last eaten there so I can't attest to the current quality of the food or the prices.

If you try out Mocca, let me know what you think...

I heard that Mocca Hungarian moved to a new location nearby recently.  Does anyone know about this?