• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip Part Deux.. US-50

Daniel

I come up with the bright idea of telling the front desk that I am with Wallmart, thinking they will give me some sort of discount.. The manager quickly comes back and hands me a room key and tells me that I have a roommate and his name is Jim.. This really bugs us out.. I would love to stay at this place, but we dont want to stay with Jim.. I then tell the manager I am hear with my wife.. He tells me that I had been instructed that spouses were not invited to the convention.. I ask him to excuse me for one second and we jump in the car and get the heck out of there..

That made me laugh, but not as much as this:

Not to mention our waitress somehow happened to have multiple herpes on her lips. I dont know if she wore an infected Halloween mask, or found a tooth brush on the street, but it certainly didn't add to the charm..

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Brilliant Daniel, just brilliant. The aged grease bit though?

How aged? 1912 aged.. I am not kidding here.. The grease that they deep fry there burgers in is the original grease from when the store opened

I'm intrigued but confused. Was the idea that the aged grease added flavour? I suspect that once you start deep frying hamburgers at all you're changing the dimensions considerably...but in oil approaching it's centennial?!

Brilliant Daniel, just brilliant. The aged grease bit though?
How aged? 1912 aged.. I am not kidding here.. The grease that they deep fry there burgers in is the original grease from when the store opened

I'm intrigued but confused. Was the idea that the aged grease added flavour? I suspect that once you start deep frying hamburgers at all you're changing the dimensions considerably...but in oil approaching it's centennial?!

The fact that the oil is a hundredish years old doesnt, IMO, make much difference in the taste.. The very fact that it is hamburger grease used to deep fry the burger is the important part.. The burger was really fantastic.. I just think by having the grease for so long says a lot about the places history and their continuation of it..

Daniel, you've worked up salivary glands from here to Madagascar. All the pics of those Q's!!! And SLAW-ON!!! You really know your stuff. We lived about an hour's drive south of Memphis for years, and Leonard's was our smokehole of choice---lots of crusty crispins, really smoky and porky and dense, with a vinegary shredded slaw that you could eat for breakfast (that's right, you do that too).

I got confused with your timings, and it seemed you left one place, strolled down the street, and sat yourself right down on the next greasy chair in line, ordered again, and ate it right up. Ah, the pleasures of being twenty-something---a cast iron stomach, endless possibilities, sleep like a baby if the opportunity arises, or drive in exhausted, see a party, freshen up and join in til after sunrise...that's the life.

Anyway, brought back lots of memories, and set our tastebuds tingling. They just don't DO Q up here like we're used to...we did our own this past weekend, and it was fabulous---a nice pork shoulder, Weber-smoked slowly over a waterpan and a little extra applewood, with homemade slaw and some scrumptious potato salad. It's Spring---finally, and time to smell the pitsmoke.

Wonderful trip, GREAT pictures---you could just lean in for a nice juicy bite--- nice narrative...You could go to the movies and make a journal worth reading.

rachel

Rachel,

That was really so sweet of you to say that.. I am glad you made it through my trip.. I always think i go on a little long and off the topic of food.. But i am glad people enjoy it..

In terms of my timing, you are pretty dead on.. We really just go from one place to another in rather short periods of time.. It seems that there will be a stretch of road thats isolated and then there will be several places that we "need to go to"..

Very excited for my next road trip in August.. Going from Vegas to Seatle and from Seatle to New York via the northern route.. I hope to catalogue that trip too..

Here is a link to one of my smoking outings.. smoke it up I too miss the cue from memphis and have done a good job replicating it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Good God Daniel! What an account! I wish I'd seen this when you originally posted it, I could have helped with some suggestions in the middle of the country there, although I think you did fine. Hint: next time through KS, stop in Abilene and go to the Brookville Hotel. Not as cool as when it was in the old space, but still an institution. Down home fried chicken, mashed taters, gravy, biscuits, etc. AND if you do Highway 50 through KS, I got more suggestions there :rolleyes:

Let us know when you do the Seattle trip!

I'll echo what a few other folks have said.... "ah, youth" ..nothing like beer for breakfast and no sleep and party on and eat everything in sight! Enjoy it while you can!

Born Free, Now Expensive