• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3rd NJ eGullet Dinner - Italian

Rachel Perlow

Ted, Welcome. I'm glad you were able to figure out how to post. Our other two dinners were both on Sundays, and we will be having them on Sunday again. I don't think we'll be having any big events on weekdays due to people's work schedules. However, because it is actually more convenient for many, the NY Forum has discussed doing NYC events on weekdays and has had a lunch and a "pub crawl" during the work week.

Anyway, despite the small turnout, last night was very nice. Sean at Bella Rosa really worked hard to welcome us. They put a "Bella Rosa Welcomes eGullet.com" insert in the menu folder with our personal menu. Several different appetizers and salads were passed by the waiters. Interestingly, even though we could select any entree on the menu we wanted, three people had the Veal and Shrimp Amaretto, and there were three orders of the Onion Crusted Halibut (which I had, it was delicious).

The desserts were particularly generous. Very popular were the warm chocolate cake (which wasn't melting as I thought it would be :sad: ), the Cobbler of the Day was apple and it looked good. Both of these were served with homemade ice cream.

We all talked and talked, and finally just had to roll out of there, where we talked some more outside. We had to admit it was rather loud in there. But I think the management likes it that way, they know when it's busy! However, if the noise really bothers you it would be an issue. Sean said it is less noisy during the week and you can't please everyone. Their creative and delicious food is enough to please me. :raz:

Sorry we missed the good time last night. We have always have enjoyable dinners at Bella Rosa and prefer to dine there during the week when it isn't so noisy. We were there on Friday night. For apps we had an escarole and bean soup; salad; and firecracker chicken which was a spicy chicken wrapped in a wonton. Entrees were blackened scallops; chicken Savoy on the bone; pork chop Giambotta and the shrimp and veal Amaretto. An apple cobbler was enjoyed by all for dessert. Movie Guy---you weren't smoking that cigar at Bella Rosa were you???

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

we met movieguy at Joe and Tess's in Edgewater, who luckily alerted us to the fact we bought the wrong tickets for star wars that evening at the Edgewater multiplex (we wanted to see it on the digital screen, but we bought the regular film version instead). Most definitely sage advice, we got our money back and saw it the next day! You MUST see it that way.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We had a great time at Bella Rosa last night!  Thanks to Jason and Rachel for making the arrangements!

Ken had the halibut and I got a taste (I had pasta for my main course).  Great stuff!

We'll probably return on our own some weeknight in the future.  

It was great seeing folks again, though the noise level made it difficult for me to hear very much.  But such are the joys (!) of living with only one functional ear.

Looking forward to the next dinner...   :smile: