48 minutes ago, Smithy said:
Huh. WebMD says it's poisonous, but in the article to which heidih linked above, Edna Lewis wrote
I'm trying to reconcile these two articles, which I think are both from reputable sources. Do you suppose that in the early spring poke "sallet" the pokeweed toxin wasn't concentrated enough to be a problem?
Not that I plan to try it, mind.
Apparently the very young Spring shoots are OK...but even then need boiling to inactivate/extract the toxic stuff.
I have a ton of in in the field. Deer won't touch it.
Wonder if @gfron1 ever uses it. Its Ozarky as can be.