• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're a foodie when...

Or you call ahead and get a delivery at the airport, of a particular foodstuff to carry along as you continue your flight.

I flew from L.A. to Rhode Island with an hour stopover to change planes in Chicago.

I had an order of fresh brats, packed in ice, delivered to me as I was waiting to board the flight on to Providence. The flight attendant was kind enough to find room in a fridge for me.

My friends met me at the airport and were thrilled to get the brats as they are originally from Wawatosa, WI.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

when every homey you've got calls you before every date to discuss restaurants, and then calls you back in the morning to ask where to take her to breakfast because she loved your recommendation from the previous night :)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Or you call ahead and get a delivery at the airport, of a particular foodstuff to carry along as you continue your flight. 

I flew from L.A. to Rhode Island with an hour stopover to change planes in Chicago.

I had an order of fresh brats, packed in ice, delivered to me as I was waiting to board the flight on to Providence.  The flight attendant was kind enough to find room in a fridge for me. 

My friends met me at the airport and were thrilled to get the brats as they are originally from Wawatosa, WI.

Now that's REALLY impressive! Who delivered the brats, the supplier or friends of yours? How did they get through airport security? (My mind working... who do I know in which cities?)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I had an order of fresh brats, packed in ice, delivered to me as I was waiting to board the flight on to Providence.  The flight attendant was kind enough to find room in a fridge for me. 

Now that's REALLY impressive! Who delivered the brats, the supplier or friends of yours? How did they get through airport security? (My mind working... who do I know in which cities?)

This was in 1999, security was not quite as tight then. I have basenji friends in Chicago who gave me the name of a butcher near the airport. I called them gave them my credit card and told them to charge the cost of the brats and the cost of delivery, airport parking and etc. to it and gave them my schedule and departure gate number and that I would be in a wheelchair in the first class lounge. The guy did not have any trouble finding the gate and checked with the attendent with whom I had left the information about the delivery. All they did was open the styro container and look at the clear package containing the brats. There was some discussion about how difficult it was to get "real" fresh brats anywhere outside the region but that was it. I had it on my lap as my porter wheeled me into the plane and at that point the flight attendant took the box away to put it in the fridge.

No bribes were passed.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You think more about food than sex. Or you think about them together. :wink:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

You think more about food than sex. Or you think about them together. :wink:

Sex???? Not even on my radar. However when it comes to food.............! :wub:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

You're a foodie if you have a mandoline, a zester, a small blowtorch, and more than 20 cookbooks. You use these things, but not because you're paid to do so.

You own more than nine different vinegars - right now.

You mark the seasons by the first sighting of: California strawberries, New Zealand lamb, local peaches, cranberries. Conversely: shad roe, salmon, ama ebi.......

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

When you are so sick that you can barely move, breathe, swallow and all you can think about is food. What am I going to make, what do I have in the freezer, what do I have to buy, and to entertain yourself while sick at home you read cookbook after cookbook because there is nothing better than being curled up on the couch with a few dozen good books.

...you feel that food must not only taste good, it must look good. A friend of mine can't understand why I've to arrange all my blanched bok choys in one direction before drizzling it with oil and fried garlic, and why I've to choose the right plates.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

...you feel that food must not only taste good, it must look good. A friend of mine can't understand why I've to arrange all my blanched bok choys in one direction before drizzling it with oil and fried garlic, and why I've to choose the right plates.

because part of the taste is also perceived in its presentation? so far as im concerned that does include the right plates too

a recipe is merely a suggestion

When you wince at your neighbor’s pasteurized dairy products.

When you’re willing to pay $11 for a thimble-sized jar of cardamom because, “even though the recipe only asks for a dash of it, I can’t do without it, because it’s the subtle ingredient that will give the dish that special je ne sais quois.” :smile:

Edited by AppleBrownBetty (log)

When you bitch-out when your friends suggest going out to dinner because you don't feel like spending the money, but then you go out to the grocery store and spend twice as much as you would have on dinner out on ingredients to make something you recently saw someone else talk about on eG.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

because part of the taste is also perceived in its presentation? so far as im concerned that does include the right plates too

...when you don't have a complete set of dishes, but individual pieces so you can choose which dish or plate will look best with any particular food?

My friends all love getting to choose their own dishes when they come for dinner. :raz:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

How about when you dream of making "The Haj" and its not to Mecca, but to Philly for cheesesteaks!

Bring it on Chris! We'll give you the guided tour of the local houses of worship! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

When you plan your contracts as a traveling nurse around the best places to get good food and food products. This happens every 13 weeks or so.

When you lug around over 200 cookbooks and the folding bookshelves to house them, a van full of cooking equipment, and not much else to said contracts.

And when you ask the housing department of the company for whom you work, for an apartment with a really good kitchen.

And when you get to said contract/job, you don't check out all the local events, or places except as related to food. That means farmers markets, and any type of food emporium.