• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're a foodie when...

When someone asks for directions, and yours are based on restaurants, take a right at Olives, a left at Masa, and it's just around the corner from this phenomenal little bistro, Craigie Street, have you been there?

Yep, that's a sure sign.

:) Pam

/quote]

My God..I do that....I even got one up on you....I navigate the Police Helicopter at night usiing restaurants as markers....Jschyun can confirm it!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

When your spouse travels out of town for a job interview and she calls and the first thing out of your mouth is: 'Where did they take you to dinner?'

When she calls back I'll ask how the interview went.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

When you would rather go out to dinner with another foodie,

than with your spouse!

and, now that I am snowed in and can finally take down my Xmas tree...

I realize that all the ornaments that my family and friends have given me over the years are things like,

little wine bottles

wine glass

mini-champagne bottles

mini champagne in mini champagne bucket

mini cases of wine

chocolate truffles

fake pieces of cake and other pastries

mini epergne filled/piled with petit fours

whisks, rolling pins, and even a pastry bag

blender

bowl of fruit

and lots of little chefs with toques on!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

When you go grocery shopping with friends and they follow you around the store to put the exact same things in their cart.

When everyone at work must look at your lunch, every day.

When everyone calls you for cooking advice.

When others at the table in a restaurant refuse to order until you do, then say “I’ll have the same”. Every time.

When your clothes are basic jeans and t-shirts, but your cookware is Le Creuset, your knives all high end German, and you’d sooner dance barefoot on nails than give up your microplane grater or your Japanese slicer ‘cause they’re so much fun to use.

When you just give up and make eGullet your homepage.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

When your friends can't believe you came back from Mexico with 10 kilos of sea salt.

Man, it is so good.

Basically when any trip to a new place requires a suitcase full of edible souveniers brought home of whatever the local delicacies/specialties are.

I've come home with at least a case of wine, a bottle of Absinthe (just because I could and the idea of smuggling it in seemed so dangerous), jars of every flavor marmalade/preserve on earth, cans of foie gras pate, mild and hot paprika, chocolates, schnapps, chestnut paste, oils, vinegars, etc, etc.

[twitch]But I'm really quite normal[twitch]...for a foodie :biggrin:

:laugh: love the twitiching.... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

When friends and family invite themselves over for meals.

When the first thing your friends ask is "what did you make for dinner?"

When the top things on your "to visit" list are kitchen stores, cookbook shops and food shops.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When you go to a restaurant and people hand you their plate to take a taste to ask you what the dish is missing or to identify some ingredient. The most recent example of this was when I unhappily accomponied my mother to Olive Garden, she says "Something is different about my soup, taste it" I taste and promptly gave her a smirk and said "They forgot to salt it."

My sister and grandmother will bring over food from restaurants or local delis and say "make this for me please".

I am 22 years old, and my guilty pleasure magazines are not Cosmo and Glamour, but rather Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Gastronomica, Chocolatier (well, not so much the newer "easier!" issues). My book shelves are chock full of over 150 cookbooks, along with great novels.

I'm with what someone said about "cream of ..." soups, my reply to queries on how to fix a problem someone is having that includes them in a dish is "re-do it without all the processed crap".

You know your a foodie when your friends ask you to cook them a meal for their boyfriends and pretend they made it (I don't mind). I also make all the baked goods for my nephew's first grade class.

I wrote a column for the paper I work for all about a cake my sister made for my birthday, it was her first creation from scratch and I cried with joy when I saw it. She was a tried and true cake mix girl, but now she is even doing Carrot Cake from scratch, I am so proud (keep in mind she is five years older, married with two kids, and I am still in college living at home).

When your father looks at your mother when he arrives home and says, "What's Shannon (me) cooking for dinner?"

I'm big on presentation and my nephew recently asked me to make his cinnamon toast "look pretty" like I do with dinner. He also wanted to learn how to decorate his grandfather's breakfast plate so he could give it to him and tell "papa" he made it special. That was the sweetest thing ever.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

When you are helping out with dinner at your mother’s and are irked that she doesn’t have sea salt,just plain table salt or ground pepper (the horror) instead of a pepper mill.

When you cronically scan bookstores for new magazines or books.

If you are willing to travel long distance weighed down with assorted cooking equipment and ingredients,like let’s say 2 kg of nuts.

When you speed by clothing stores in the mall,daunted by the horrors of the changing room and instead check out that Le Creuset oven you’ve already checked out 10 times.

When your wish list for Christmas and birthdays revolves around “foodie items”

When preparing for cooking,you realize that you need to shop for a certein item,say ajowan seeds, and are peeved “on the outside” but looking forward to visiting the Asian grocer on the inside.

When your daughter calls to say "Hi!" and you talk for 20 minutes about what new kitchen stuff you have found, foods you have eaten, where you have eaten, what you are planning on cooking/baking/preserving, etc., before either of you mentions the rest of the family and how THEY are doing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One day you say:

"Wouldn't it be fun if we had a blog that was dedicated to food?"

and before you know it you have over 12,000 registered members...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

When you spend more then 3 hour driving round to at least 4 different shops across the city just to gather that one missing ingredients for one dish that you are cooking tomorrow.

When your friends call you up for cooking tips and restaurant recommendations.

When the sole purpose of you being invited to a dinner party is to cook the dinner :huh:

When you read a celebrity chef latest cookbook and think "man you're getting desperate" or " that is so!!!! not the way to make it!! "

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

when matching salt to food matters.

watching your otherwise abstemious friends wolf down 8,000 calories in one sitting-because "they've never had anything like this in their lives before"

edited because while I could spell and use abstemious correctly I couldn't manage otherwise :laugh:

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

When you spend more then 3 hour driving round to at least 4 different shops across the city just to gather that one missing ingredients for one dish that you are cooking tomorrow.

What, most people don't shop that way?

I will add:

...when you can't believe that the person you're visiting doesn't have anything besides Wesson oil, one kind of vinegar, no thyme (no fresh spices at all), only salted butter, and no round cake pans, loaf pans, rolling pin, or mixing bowls.

edited to add: and the wife of the family goes on and on about how so-and-so is such a "gourmet" cook.

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

origamicrane gets my vote for best use of foodism! That's cool...could even help if you found yourself in handcuffs (just a thought).

hehe! :laugh: thank Mabelline

it might work better on ropes or duct tape when you get kidnapped.

Although to be honest carrying that around with me in the UK

could probably get me arrested :unsure:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

When you go visit your friends on Nantucket, a former waitressing buddy, and her hubby, a professional chef, and the three of you sit sipping wine, eating something delicious (because everything he makes is amazing), and are completely silent but soo happy as you are all mesmerized by a food program, watching it together the way others watch the superbowl.

:) Pam

When you know who Ferran Adria is.

When your spouse, who doesn't really care knows who Ferran Adria is.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When you don't smoke but you have a miniature blow torch on your set of keys

just in case you have to flame a creme brulee or sear some tuna :raz:

i kid you not!

gallery_18280_682_1106683106.jpg:raz:

I must have one!!!!! That is the most brilliant key chain I think I've ever seen!! Boy would that save time at the next dinner party :raz: Ummm...anyone know where to get one in Vancouver?

When you don't smoke but you have a miniature blow torch on your set of keys

just in case you have to flame a creme brulee or sear some tuna :raz:

i kid you not!

gallery_18280_682_1106683106.jpg:raz:

I must have one!!!!! That is the most brilliant key chain I think I've ever seen!! Boy would that save time at the next dinner party :raz: Ummm...anyone know where to get one in Vancouver?

what about where to find one in denton or the dfw area?.....lol

a recipe is merely a suggestion

When you name your chef's knife...mine is "The Dude".

When no one in the family or circle of friends will invite you to dinner because they are worried you might not like it. and if they do invite you, they will start the sentence by "Well, I know it's not up to your standards, but here is my ....". This always bugs me.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog