• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard House

cabrales

I was told of the Craft bar party but I think that was very exclusive and cannot be crashed by average pedestrians like me. Andrew said something about a party at Babbo, but I ended up going to FCI with Jim Dixon, who is undoubtedly one of the coolest dude around. FCI was fun especially the room with the champagne and the Caviars. There was a lot of red boas, but as grandma here have to get up for her day job, she went home at a reasonable hour.

Next year, every egulleter who attends have to call each other.....

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I went too, and figured there was a better than average chance I was standing next to an e-gulleteer. But alas there was no way to tell. The short-ribs were delicious, by the way.

I went to all (except the journalism awards of course -- no nomination means no reason to go!) The TWC party was the worst mob scene I've ever experienced, although the people-watching was great if you could find a spot to perch and do it. NY food fashion: People either dress to the nines or they dress like circus acts. The tour of Gray Kuntz' kitchen-in-progress was impressive, but you wouldn't get near Per Se.

The after party at FCI, I have to say, was one of most fun events I've attended at the Beards. With all the theme rooms (all caviar! all champagne! all miniature French pastries!) and the curtained tunnels leading from place to place, it was like a Halloween party for grownups.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Oh, and the short ribs truly were delicious. My other favorites:

Seared Scallop with Cachucha Chili Syrup (you couldn't get near Rodriguez's roast pig, but this was right next to and was fabulous);

Cabrito barbecue on goat's milk cream (goat on goat -- very nice);

Coco bean salad with chorizo and duck confit;

Adobo pork tenderloin with Chenel goat cheese, pinon and pork demi-glace;

Fresh corn tamal with queso blanco salad and a bitter orange vinaigrette;

Chicken with three moles (LOVED that one);

and the Pisco Sour by Dunia and Espartaco Borga.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Well I ended up volunteering for the event as a culinary student from ICE. I was only there for the awards, so I ended up reheating some things prepped from earlier in the morning and working at the company Melissa's food booth. We served a fruit tamale and a taro root tostada. I, as well as many other volunteers ended up sampling quite a bit of food and drinks; sure as hell beats paying whatever cover charge they had.

Jim Dixon, who is undoubtedly one of the coolest dude around

Ya-roo, your check is in the mail.

Secret handshake?

When I tried this I either got into a fight or was invited into the restroom. I think we need an eGullet lapel pin.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Jim Dixon, who is undoubtedly one of the coolest dude around

Ya-roo, your check is in the mail.

Hey, where's mine?? Oh, never mind -- I've only been telling that to other public administration types.

Secret handshake?

When I tried this I either got into a fight or was invited into the restroom. I think we need an eGullet lapel pin.

Whassamatter? This isn't classy enough for formal occasions?

I am sure the thong could worked better than the handshake.

That would, of course, depend on what you were working towards.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 8 months later...

I cooked dinner there back in 1997 when I worked as a chef de partie at the Lake Placid Lodge. It was a dinner celebrating that we were the only property in the U.S. that became a member of Relais & Chateaux that year. Julia Child was in attendance that night and I got to meet her and have a picture taken with her. That pic now hangs over my desk at work.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912