• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard House

cabrales

I'll be with a small crew cooking at the Beard House on Dec 27. I've seen the notoriously small kitchen and would like some tips on do's and don'ts when doing a meal there. I'm told a lot of Chefs prep at the W's (on lexington) Kitchen but I'm not sure if this is std operating procedure or just something offered to "name" guys. The plan so far is to prep as much as we can - and drive there Friday night/Sat Morn.

Any war stories would be appreciated.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

How far are you coming from?

It is a very small kitchen but there is enough space for 4-6 people to each have their own space. If you give yourself enough time prep should not be a problem. If there is any special equipment you need (i.e. steam/convection oven) you should check and make sure that they have it; the facility is just a step above a domestic kitchen.

How far are you coming from?

It is a very small kitchen but there is enough space for 4-6 people to each have their own space. If you give yourself enough time prep should not be a problem. If there is any special equipment you need (i.e. steam/convection oven) you should check and make sure that they have it; the facility is just a step above a domestic kitchen.

What's the earliest access time and how much cooler space is there?

Being organized is the key for the beard house kitchen. Knowing what each member of your crew is going, in advance, and sticking to it will get you through the evening. The only other suggestion that I can make is to get a hold of Robert Cacciolla (sp?) I am pretty sure he kind of runs the kitchen in terms of planning and he is a very helpful person. I have worked with him on several events. So if you have any questions in advance in terms of cold storage/ and what not he'd be the guy to ask. :biggrin:

Patrick Sheerin

I thank everyone for their advice and the PM's I've gotten.

The Chef visited Rick Reddingon (at the Beard) this weekend to revise his game plan. I'll be the only "civilian" in the crew and the I'm pretty sure we're prepping Fri and driving down Fri night/Sat morn. The weather will be helpful with a full U-Haul and I will probably offer a few "Plimpton-esque" blurbs and pix.

Not much freezer space -- a couple of drawer freezers if I recall correctly.

Refrigerator space is better; there are either 2 or 3 large reach ins.

Working space for 4 to 6 is about right. In July, I was part of a crew of 5 plus 2 ICE interns. We didn't step all over each other very much.

The one step above domestic is accurate in many ways. For example, the range burners will seem underpowered to you. Allow extra time to saute and sear things. Oven space can be at a premium also. Plan your oven time very well -- particularly any pastry needs.

Finally, if you have never worked there before, remember that the guests hang around in the kitchen during cocktail hour. So, space becomes even more an issue (you lose 2 stations on the outside of the island). But, the guests also like to see work going on. So plan to do some things that you can talk about, other than plating canapes, during that time.

I think they no longer do any lunches at the House, so you can have access early in the morning of the day. The December schedule is not up on the web site yet (and my book is at home) but if there is nothing at the House on the 26th, you can have the kitchen the day before.

As far as I know, the deal at the W is available to everyone. We didn't do any prep there but we did store all of our stuff in their walk-ins overnight.

Edited by MichaelB (log)

prep everything at the W hotel. they are pretty cool there (Lex and 50) butchering, veg prep etc. all outside the beard house. use the beard kitchen as a place to organize and assemble hor duerves, and your meal. if you have to sear any meat, do it before guests arrive . the ventilation there sucks. i found out the hard way. when all 98 guests were drinking cocktails and hanging out in the kitchen (which they will) i began to sear lamb saddles and smoked the hell out of the joint. people were amused by it, which was assuring to me, because i thought the chef i was working for was going tear me another one. good luck. it's a long, long day

Wish I were.. are you? This is one of my favorite Italians in NYC. Notoriously``Untrendy" and deserving of greater recognition and possible inclusion in the pantheon of Babbo, Felidia, San Domenico, L'Impero, et al, it combines authenticity, unusual regional focus, atractive ambience, integrity of ingredients and technique.

Unable to make it to Beard, I console myself that as a New Yawker, I can always book a table, usually with ease given a few days advance planning.

hell, i'd just go to i trulli instead. reservations are not hard to secure in my experience (as albie suggests). the beard house is a bit notorious for providing a less-than-stellar experience. i wouldn't compromise when the real deal is 15 blocks away.

and unless they've remodeled, it's always a madhouse in the cooler months, when the back garden is closed.

Edited by tommy (log)

hell, i'd just go to i trulli instead.

I'd go to the Beard House to support the Beard programs, or to support I Trulli, but I'd agree with tommy that you'll best experience I Trulli at I Trulli.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

oh dear. all this talk of supporting the beard foundation. just so there's no confusion, i'm a supporter of the foundation and its programs as well. i was merely suggesting that this didn't seem like a particularly unique event, as the restaurant is in town. the beard house is great fun, however, for trying the food of chefs from outside of the area. the little Q&A stuff they do is unique as well, and i suppose something you won't get at i trulli. i suppose my comment seemed inappropriate.

let us know how it was.

Agree that going to the events of those restaurants that are located outside of NYC makes more sense but the date was open and we haven't been there in a long time. I almost feel quilty as I have a mile long list of "must go to" NJ restaurants.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I knew I should have stayed in NJ last night. Dinner was disappointing. First of all they didn’t start serving dinner till close to 8:30. Kitchen must have been "in the weeds." Baked scallops with a stew of razor and Manilla clams was good but was served lukewarm. Didn’t like the bean and sauerkraut soup; Lowell liked it. Potato and plum dumplings tasted doughy and undercooked. Veal and chicken stuffed potato tortelli had dough that was too thick. Roasted veal shank, off the bone, was ok as was the rustic mashed potatoes. Mache salad was just some greens thrown on a plate. Desserts were not worth the calories and the apple strudel was soggy although I liked the filling. The ice milk was too sweet.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 weeks later...