• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef cheeks in Manhattan?

Stone

Stone: do you mean the raw product, or restaurants serving it?

For the raw product, I am not aware of any retail places that keep it in stock. But any small full service butcher (e.g., Oppenheimer Prime Meats) should be able to order some for you on a few days' notice.

--

Yes, I meant the raw product.  I'm going to start calling around.

Deluxe Food Market (79 Elizabeth Street) has most parts of chickens, cows, ducks, and pigs. Good quality, too.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Deluxe Food Market (79 Elizabeth Street) has most parts of chickens, cows, ducks, and pigs. Good quality, too.

Yeah, but how can you ever tell what the parts that you're looking at? My wife and I go with her father (he's Cantonese) and half the time he can't get a straight answer about what a given cut of meat is...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Yeah, but how can you ever tell what the parts that you're looking at? My wife and I go with her father (he's Cantonese) and half the time he can't get a straight answer about what a given cut of meat is...

:laugh: I remember there being signs in English identifying the meat. But I do remember these signs being cryptic. The only time I actually bought anything there -- I usually just roam around looking at the duck tongues and preserved quails -- I succeeded in identifying and purchasing pork liver and pork shoulder.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

It's about the only place we know to get dark meat ground chicken, which is nice for some things - they sell packages of nothing but ground up chicken feet. Yummy!

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

It's a good market and comes highly recommended. I recognize a face or two from my last butcher shop, or better yet, they recognize me, so I get served quckly. It's crowded and, to say the least, it's not the kind of place where they take numbers for orderly service. You've got to get the attention of someone behind the counter. On the whole, I find the pork very good at Chinese butcher shops, but haven't been able to say the same for the beef. I rather wonder if they have beef cheeks, but wouldn't know how to go about asking for them.

The joys of identifying cuts of meat and reading English labels are never ending. The last time I was shopping, I came across both drum steaks and trum steaks in the packaged and frozen meats. Not surprisingly, I thought they both looked like old fashioned drum sticks from the kind of chickens I knew as a child.

I don't mean to appear unkind or unsympathetic to my neighbors whose command of English is no worse than my grandfather's was all his life. There is humor none the less, though not as much as I found on the black board in front of the Manhattan Bistro, a closer neighbor in the heart of sophisticated SoHo, where "beef bourgonous" was recently featured.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.