• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1994 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde

bills

I'm in a Rhone mood lately and as SWMBO has temporarily taken leave for warmer climes I thought I'd treat myself and check and see how this was doing.

The colour was relatively light, almost like a Burgundy. The nose had the telltale violets, however - I am told that this comes from the addition of Viognier to the Syrah (in this case 4%). I have not yet convinced one of the local BC winemakers to do two batches of Syrah, one with the addition of a bit of Viognier. I think I will keep working on La Frenz, as he makes Viognier already, and as an Aussie has an innate right to dabble with 'Shiraz'.

This wine was medium weight, with a very pleasant sweetness on palate, and although the tannins are present, they are almost fully resolved. It has good balance and very good length, and I doubt it will get any better, though it should last quite a few more years. Very nice bottle. A shame it is now in the $80 C. range for the current vintage. I enjoyed it over a whole evening and it kept getting better.

Thanks for the TN's

I have tasted this wine several times, yet never enjoyed.

This could very well be due to the import conditions and storage facilities to my country.

The wine remained locked in its own tannins forever.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.