• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian meals and new dietary guidelines

The new US dietary guidelines recommend 9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day. Although Indian food is predominantly vegetarian -- even non-vegs eat just a little meat by US standards -- my sense is that it is heavy on starches and dairy products. and that it may be hard even for vegetarians to comply with these new guidelines. I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.

hey susruta: great topic and one i've been thinking about

for a while.

i generally agree with you.

i've been trying even to get the 5 a day recommendation before

they changed it to 9 a day! and it's hit or miss depending on

whether the sabzi made that day is aloo or what.:

even though the basic menu for the family is the same

every day, my husband eats a LOT of fruit so he can easily

meet the requirements.

my kids eat less, since they have smaller appetites overall;

i am hit or miss depending.....

a typical day:

breakfast:

toast, coffee (milk for kids).

husband eats fruit, neither kids nor i have appetite for it.

snack: kids typically get fruit or veg in school.

sometimes i take some fruit to office (i'd say 3/5 of the time).

lunch: usually about 2 servings of veg here (for me)

less for husband, maybe 1; and kids get ~ 2 but smaller quantity.

snack: kids get something in school, again ~ 1 serving.

i sometimes pack fruit or salad for a snack (again 3/5 days).

dinner: repeat of lunch.

but its kind of hard for me to reach even 5, let alone 9!

my parents do better in india since they are both fruitaholics....

milagai

ps: re your screen name: are you a physician?

Hi, Milagai. No, I'm not a physician. For some reason, that name came to mind when I signed on with e-gullet.

You are right -- you need to eat a LOT of fruit to get the nine servings. And tropical fruits like mangoes and papaya are really rich in vitamins and trace minerals.

Chinese and Southeast Asians probably find it easiest to meet the dietary requirements since their meals are typically a lot of vegetables with a little meat. I find it easier to include a lot of green, yellow and orange veggies in Western style meals than I do in Indian ones.

hola susruta:

some thoughts:

1. i love veggies and fruits, so even thinking about

meeting the new guidelines was not painful for me.

in general, my family eats a fairly good amount and variety

of fruits and veggies. it's this 9 a day thing that's baffling,

especially now when i suddenly need to control calories as well :)

i am not even trying to meet the exercise guidelines.

i exercise a little bit, but nowhere near the recommendations.

2. another thing: if we actually adhere to all the guidelines for

diet, exercise, sleep, work, socializing, etc etc etc that are put out

they all add up to more than 24 hours a day (one of my colleauges

actually calculated it) :)

3. when tropical fruits are in season my fruit intake does go up.

4. here's a link to an interesting article in today's new york times.

you need to register (free) i think if you have not done so already

to read it, and i am not sure how to post the whole thing here

(too lengthy), so just take a look at it.

it's the moaning - groaning of a man who lived by the typical

USA diet trying to meet the dietary requirements. he is in basically

great health in terms of weight, BP, cholesterol etc. but

interestingly he said that the new dietary guidelines would require

a whole cultural shift for the average american, as most do not

eat so many veges normally. he said people of asian origin

would find it much easier....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/weekinre...d=all&position=

milagai

:huh: True, fruits and veggies (fresh) are too much contrast to todays lifestyles, I gather from this post too, that there is a change in our outlook which is must internally not by external influence from news media.

Like the normally predominant food forms of today are more tasty and no one would give them up for more sublime :wub: and hardly tantalizing fruits and veggies..

I agree there has to be a true change from inside us each one of us, each different in our states of evolution in our tastes and preference to food, and many a coinfuence from society we live in.

With hope for a better tomorrow for all of us :unsure::wacko: how it will happen you know :smile:

I would call sublime from above because of the journey I have taken for life to discovery of true source of happiness within all of us.. may be you too will agree on it one day :wink::smile:

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Yesterday, an old friend sent me a picture of her family dinner, which she prepared. She was never much of a cook, so I was a bit surprised. It's the first I've seen her cook in 25 years. Here is the spread.

I immediately zoomed in on one dish - the okra.

For the first 20-odd years I lived in China, I never saw okra - no one knew what it was. I managed to find its Chinese name ( 秋葵 - qiū kuí) in a scientific dictionary, but that didn't help. I just got the same blank looks.

Then about 3 years ago, it started to creep into a few supermarkets. At first, they stocked the biggest pods they could find - stringy and inedible - but they worked it out eventually. Now okra is everywhere.

I cook okra often, but have never seen it served in China before (had it down the road in Vietnam, though) and there are zero recipes in any of my Chinese language cookbooks. So, I did the sensible thing and asked my friend how she prepared it. Here is her method.

1. First bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the washed okra and boil for two minutes. Drain.

2. Top and tail the pods. Her technique for that is interesting.

3. Finely mince garlic, ginger, red chilli and green onion in equal quantities. Heat oil and pour over the prepared garlic mix. Add a little soy sauce.

4. Place garlic mix over the okra and serve.

When I heard step one, I thought she was merely blanching the vegetable, but she assures me that is all the cooking it gets or needs, but she did say she doesn't like it too soft.

Also, I should have mentioned that she is from Hunan province so the red chilli is inevitable.

Anyway, I plan to make this tomorrow. I'm not convinced, but we'll see.

to be continued

• By missdipsy
      Two of my family members are pescetarian, one of whom is my picky daughter who only likes a few types of fish cooked in very specific ways so to all intents and purposes is mostly vegetarian. Many Chinese soup recipes involve meat or fish, or at least meat broth, so I'd love to find a few more recipes that would suit my whole family (I also don't eat much pork as it doesn't always agree with me, and a lot of soups involve pork so this is also for my benefit!). Vegetarian would be best, or pescetarian soups that are not obviously seafood based (I could get away with sneaking a small amount of dried shrimp in, for instance, but not much more than that!).

Any kind of soup will do, although I'd particularly like some simple recipes that could be served alongside a multi-dish meal. But I'm always interested in new recipes so any good soup recipes would be welcome!

Any suggestions?
    • By Druckenbrodt
      So, our flights have been booked for next Sunday, we're servicing our loyal bikes, the panier bags are coming out of the cupboard and we're checking the tent still has all its poles.
      Our plan is 10 days of cycling, through the Pelopponnese and Crete, far from the madding crowds, through mountain meadows and forests full of bee hives, with regular visits to pristine hidden beaches. That's the plan.
      Of course, to make our holiday perfect, some feasting would go down well. I had thought that this would be impossible for my boyfriend, given he's vegetarian (no fish either), since I assumed the options will only be grilled meat, grilled fish, or Greek salad. But having had a look at some of these posts, it seems like there are quite a few really delicious (and popular?) dishes that don't involve meat or fish, but do include delicious things like spinach, fava beans, chick peas etc.
      So, I'd like to compile a list of Great Greek Dishes that vegetarians can eat, the sort of simple everyday stuff that we might be able to get in a small village taverna. To kick start the list I'm nominating:
      Briam - I had this about 10 years ago on the island of Amorgos and it was mindblowingly delicious. Potatoes, courgettes, tomatoes and maybe onions and lots of olive oil? All cooked together extremely slowly. I've tried recreating this but never succeeded. It's something I still have fond memories of!
      Any general advice or additions to the list would be most gratefully appreciated!
    • By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By Deeps
      This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.
      Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Prep Time : 5 mins
      Cook Time: 5 mins
      Serves: 2

Ingredients:
      1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
      1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
      1 green chili, slit
      1 dried red chili
      1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
      1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
      1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
      1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
      1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
      A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
      Few curry leaves
      Salt to taste

Directions
      1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
      2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.
      3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.
      4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.
      5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.