• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooked Whole Dungeness Crabs

I LOVE to buy a big FAT crab from time to time...but it occured to me that some places might have better than others.

I tend to get them when they are on special offer at the grocery stores...but i have never had any from Pike Place.

Has anyone had them from different places and noticed any differences ?

Or... do the grocery stores get shipped the same crabs that go to Pike Place?

And how big do they get?? .... the biggest i have managed to find in the stores are about 2 pounds...what have you had?

Thanks

You should definitely try University Seafood on 47th and the Ave. for Dungeness crab. They have the best fish and shellfish available. Also, don't miss the live oysters: cheap and perfect.

The bigger the grocery chain (Safeway, QFC and Fred Meyer are the big ones) the more homogenous the supply chain. This is not a bad thing, as the money spent by these big consumers makes the suppliers stand up and take notice. They often get in on the big catches and are able to buy fresh and cheap, hopefully passing the savings on to you. However, they are also more focused on the bottom line, and are more willing to pass on an inferior product to make a buck.

The consumer awareness of this fact is the reason that small seafood shops (and butcher shops, produce stands, etc.) thrive. We have all been to a supermarket and seen the variety on display -- farmed Atlantic salmon, Chilean sea bass, etc. The real key to getting quality seafood, almost above anything else as fresh fish is so perishable, is a relationship with your local dealer. If you go to a supermarket, or even the Pike Place Market (although some dealers are less touristy), you will get a product that is okay. What you are looking for is a place where they will tell you what to buy, or at least offer things that are at the peak of their season, which a smaller shop is more inclined to do because their business depends on your opinion of the fish. They don't care if you need Wheat Thins or toilet paper. Their livelyhood is directly related to the freshness and quality of the seafood. Check them out before anyone else.

Whoa, there. That was another rant.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Speaking of Dungeness crab, it's on sale at QFC for $2.97/lb if you have the card.

The signs say never frozen. There were lots and lots of them on ice at the U Village QFC yesterday. It looked pretty darned good (& fat, with all its claws) -- the one I bought. Tasted darned good, too.

SusieQ

Seattle

(someone who seldom posts, and now I've gone and done it twice in one day)

Edited by SusieQ (log)

I think I learned on this very board that Jack's Fish Spot (in the Market) was the only vendor there that cooked their own crabs, so since I work downtown, that is where I get mine.

Once they were on sale at Ballard Market, and I asked if they cooked them there, and they said, "sometimes, not today." I guess before I bought one anywhere I'd ask this question. It seems like they wouldn't be as fresh if the vendor was getting them in already cooked.

You should definitely try University Seafood on 47th and the Ave. for Dungeness crab.  They have the best fish and shellfish available.  Also, don't miss the live oysters:  cheap and perfect. 

The bigger the grocery chain (Safeway, QFC and Fred Meyer are the big ones) the more homogenous the supply chain.  This is not a bad thing, as the money spent by these big consumers makes the suppliers stand up and take notice.  They often get in on the big catches and are able to buy fresh and cheap, hopefully passing the savings on to you.  However, they are also more focused on the bottom line, and are more willing to pass on an inferior product to make a buck.

The consumer awareness of this fact is the reason that small seafood shops (and butcher shops, produce stands, etc.) thrive.  We have all been to a supermarket and seen the variety on display -- farmed Atlantic salmon, Chilean sea bass, etc.  The real key to getting quality seafood, almost above anything else as fresh fish is so perishable, is a relationship with your local dealer.  If you go to a supermarket, or even the Pike Place Market (although some dealers are less touristy), you will get a product that is okay.  What you are looking for is a place where they will tell you what to buy, or at least offer things that are at the peak of their season, which a smaller shop is more inclined to do because their business depends on your opinion of the fish.  They don't care if you need Wheat Thins or toilet paper.  Their livelyhood is directly related to the freshness and quality of the seafood.  Check them out before anyone else.

Whoa, there.  That was another rant.

I usually get my seafood from a smaller supplier i totally agree with you.

I did get some crabs this week at QFC becuase they were cheap...and they were pretty good.

But i have not gotten any from a place like university seafood...i will have to try them next time i am in the area.

I try to eat crabs alot as it is one of the perks of living in this area dn they are SOOO good. Thanks for the tip and your comments

That must have been me that posted about Jacks... I tout 'em any chance I get. They are the only fish vendor in the market with a tank for live crabs and oysters, and they're the only ones who cook their own . I do encourage you to buy a live one and cook it yourself, for the ultimate in freshness. However, if you do, ask them to wrap it securely. The two live'uns I bought for Christmas eve got loose in the car and were quite peevish when I wrangled them back into the bag. Of course, I was laughing my ass off at the site of crabs running around my trunk... :raz:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

That must have been me that posted about Jacks... I tout 'em any chance I get.  They are the only fish vendor in the market with a tank for live crabs and oysters, and they're the only ones who cook their own . I do encourage you to buy a live one and cook it yourself, for the ultimate in freshness. However, if you do, ask them to wrap it securely. The two live'uns I bought for Christmas eve got loose in the car and were quite peevish when I wrangled them back into the bag. Of course, I was laughing my ass of at the site of crabs running around my trunk... :raz:

Keep an eye on them when you get them home too. Last time I threw one into the sink unrestrained it mangled the mesh draining thing...

I was shown to put the wrapping in the sink and roll them out onto their backs. That way, their claws can't get hold of anything, and after a minute of waving in the air, they just kind of fold up and go quiet. Works pretty well, and they usually stay quiet for the trip into the pot, too. :wink:

Hmmm.... 'tis the season...maybe I'll run down to Jack's for a crab this afternoon...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

That must have been me that posted about Jacks... I tout 'em any chance I get.  They are the only fish vendor in the market with a tank for live crabs and oysters, and they're the only ones who cook their own . I do encourage you to buy a live one and cook it yourself, for the ultimate in freshness. However, if you do, ask them to wrap it securely. The two live'uns I bought for Christmas eve got loose in the car and were quite peevish when I wrangled them back into the bag. Of course, I was laughing my ass off at the site of crabs running around my trunk... :raz:

I once got safeway to cook a live one for me becuase they were out of the cooked ones but i have to honestly tell you that i didnt care too much for them warm. I thought i would becuase i have always cooked the blue crabs i use to catch when i lived in New Orleans. SOmehow to my taste buds...the dungeness just dont seem to taste as good warm as the blue crab. But cooled to room temp they are really good. Also... maybe i need to add a little salt to the cooking water as i think these cooked crabs are boiled in seawater or something.

It is really wonderful these dungeness are so good cool...becuase they can be bought and then just eaten straight away.

Blue crabs dont taste good when they have cooled and are even day old.

Many a time i use to have to throw them out after putting them in the fridge to eat the following day....they tasted terrible. But not the dungeness..they are just as yummy the day after.

I will try the live again...maybe i will try adding some of the crab boil seasoning that's used in New Orleans...that might be REAL interesting.

The general rule is to cook dungies in water that's as salty as the sea. I have no idea what that proportion is, but I put a couple of tablespoons of sea salt into the pot.

Here's a question for everyone: What do you eat with your Dungie? Do you dip the meat in a sauce or butter? Are there particular sides that you must have?

Personally, I like them warm, or at least room temp as cooled from being cooked (not refrigerated). I melt unsalted butter, squeeze in a good shot of lemon juice and grind in some pepper. Accompanied by a good baguette and white wine (pref. sparkling, though fume blanc is good). Towards the end, I start to dip bits of the bread in the butter, as it has picked up the crab flavor, and little bits of crab that are just delicious on good bread.

Here's a question for everyone: What do you eat with your Dungie? Do you dip the meat in a sauce or butter? Are there particular sides that you must have?

Personally, I like them warm, or at least room temp as cooled from being cooked (not refrigerated). I melt unsalted butter, squeeze in a good shot of lemon juice and grind in some pepper. Accompanied by a good baguette and white wine (pref. sparkling, though fume blanc is good). Towards the end, I start to dip bits of the bread in the butter, as it has picked up the crab flavor, and little bits of crab that are just delicious on good bread.

I like them that way too. I also like them at room temp/slightly chilled with a nice lemon mayonnaise or mild aioli. Definitely accompanied by baguette and butter, maybe a steamed artichoke (also either dipped in butter or mayo/aioli) and a nice Sancerre. Yummmmm............ :wub:

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

The general rule is to cook dungies in water that's as salty as the sea. I have no idea what that proportion is, but I put a couple of tablespoons of sea salt into the pot.

YEAH! that was going to be my next question....what to dip the meat into. I do the same...butter and lemon. BUT!!! what do you do when you want to keep the calories at bay. Today i had a HUGE crab...almost 2 1/2 pounds. That takes alot of butter. What do else do you think might make a tasty dipping sauce that would not be loaded with calories. I eat too many crabs to keep using butter.

Got any ideas???

Hmmm....no butter....

Well, you could go with just a spritz of lemon, or use low fat mayo to make an aioli or herbed dip. Or do a vinaigrette? Some people use red cocktail sauce, which I've done up with extra lemon and horseradish, which isn't too bad. If I'm feeling guilty about the amount of butter I'm using with a crab, I will just not dip every bite, but only every third bite or so, consuming the other two bites 'naked'.

black vinegar?  that sounds interesting...but what is that? Dont think i have ever heard of it...what does it taste like ??

Here's a link:

http://www.mingspantry.com/m-bvin.html

I don't really think it tastes much like balsamic personally, but balsamic would probably work too..

Here's another link that I randomly came across, in cause you're watching your yin.

http://www.richardseah.com/naturalhealth/blackvin.html

my favorite dipping sauce: 1/4 c fresh chopped ginger and 1/4 cup slivered green onions and 2 teaspoons kosher salt in a heatproof dish, then pour 1/2 cup (or more) smoking hot peanut oil over (careful, it splatters!)

with warm Dungeness crab.. mmmm heaven.

theres a Asian market at Raineer Ave S and 23 Ave S that is selling big fat live crabs for 2.79/pound.

all this crab talk ~ i'm going tomorrow!

black vinegar?  that sounds interesting...but what is that? Dont think i have ever heard of it...what does it taste like ??

Here's a link:

http://www.mingspantry.com/m-bvin.html

I don't really think it tastes much like balsamic personally, but balsamic would probably work too..

Here's another link that I randomly came across, in cause you're watching your yin.

http://www.richardseah.com/naturalhealth/blackvin.html

WOW...black vinegar sounds great...thanks so much for the tip.....thats gonna save a ton of calories that i could use elsewhere...like on pastry!!! mmmm

Thanks again!