• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My big, fat, elaborate, lavish wedding feast ...

Congratulations, to you and your groom, Catriona!

Your menu sounds lovely and the choice of wines and cheeses are sublime!

Since the posts in this thread just hit 100, I would say that it struck a chord with our membership ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Catriona: Can't I be a bridesmaid or something? Your wedding, and its menu is classy and yummy. Please post a wedding picture when you're back from the honeymoon, and let us know how the wedding feast played out.

And a long happy wedded life...

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Your menu looks great, Catriona. I guess one of the big perks of a small wedding is that you can afford to feed all your guests foie gras and sauternes!  :smile:

Exactly! That sounds fabulous.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks, everyone!

In fact, the size of the wedding is, to some extent, governed by what we wanted to do in terms of food/wine. We're not party people, we don't go out dancing (actually, he'd love to but I can't dance), what we do is we entertain people at our apartment, and eat and drink well..

So it seemed natural to have the wedding that we wanted to have, not to have to do anything that we didn't want, no late nights, no having to make small talk with people we didn't have a burning desire to see...

So it's at lunchtime, so there's no late night, and then were all going down to the west of Ireland (where we met - the 3 year anniversary of our meeting will be when we come back from "honeymoon") with all of his family (from france) and all of my fmily (from Ireland and England).

There will be 14 of us on the weekend away in total, I think! Walks on the beach, and great food at the hotel we'll be staying in - one of our favourite places in the world, the Zetland Hotel.

Maggie - the position of bridesmaid has been taken by my twin sister. VanessaBerman, who is also an egulleteer. Also attending will be my brother, who also hangs out here. It'll be an egullet wedding.

I can't wait. 52 days from now!

• 1 month later...

Wedding was last Thursday, and it was absolutely wonderful. The food was all perfectly served (except for some wine issues - they didn't understand that the sauternes was to go with the foie gras, and they stopped serving champagne, whereas the idea was that the whole meal be done on champagne...)

But YUM.

Nibbles were (obviously with champagne - nicolas feuillatte - not the roederer which is our favourite, but this ine which is much lighter and easier for a long day!) rare roast beef on crispy bread, smoked salmon on brown bread, and prawnson a cucumber cup. Then downstairs, foie gras with a spiced pear compote and sauternes (castelnau de suduiraut), lobster with potato salad and green bean salad (no onion in either, as requested), a delicious cheese plate with a stunning bordeaux - cantenac brown - , and a dessert selection - each plate had a small rhum baba, a poached pear and a martini glass of chocolate "pot". Tea, mint tea, basil infusion and coffee, with coffee dragees.

Ladies and gentlemen, we had a ball.

I asked the photographer to take some photos of the food, so hopefully I'll have some to show you!