• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ketchup

Phatlouie07

In the early years of the Baskin-Robbins ice cream chain, Irv Robbins was opening a shop in Southern California near the home of a friend of his who really liked ketchup, liked to put ketchup on everything. So Irv made a special ketchup-flavored ice cream for him. He didn't like it. No one liked it. It was never made again.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

We had some postings - or was it an entire thread? - around here not too long ago about an apple pie recipe that used ketchup. When you look at the label and see that ketchup is mostly sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup with some vinegar, tomato and spices, then it actually doesn't seen so outrageous to think of it in a dessert. I've made tomato pate de fruit from a Michel Bras recipe that was really quite good - and nobody could guess the flavor. ketchup pate de fruit anyone?

I'm sure I've seen a cake recipe featuring both ketchup and tomato soup, just not sure where :hmmm:

As a child I liked to put ketchup on ice cream and cornflakes, not in the same bowl though, that would be gross :wacko:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I'm sure I've seen a cake recipe featuring both ketchup and tomato soup, just not sure where  :hmmm:

As a child I liked to put ketchup on ice cream and cornflakes, not in the same bowl though, that would be gross  :wacko:

I've seen tomato used in spice cake recipes, maybe in the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversay Cookbook? I also seem to remember a tomato/dark chocolate combination from somewhere.

My cousin Mac used to put ketchup on pickles, which isn't so strange, but also on cottage cheese.

There was an entire thread Neil. I'll try to find it later. It had a link to a website with many dessert recipes. I kept meaning to go back and try the cookie recipe.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

This site has recipes for both a banana ketchup and a blueberry ketchup - either of which could easily be adapted to desserts.

The site's faq also assures readers that there is probably no truth to the rumor that ketchup contains pig blood.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The previous thread on ketsup in apple pie is here and the recipe for the pie is here and I remember snooping around that website and finding a cookie recipe somewhere.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

one of the best sauces i ever made was a campari and ketchup emulsion

it was salty sweet bitter and sour and without a trace of fat but full mouthfeel

probably mounted with gelatin and olive oil would mellow it

This site has recipes for both a banana ketchup and a blueberry ketchup - either of which could easily be adapted to desserts.

The site's faq also assures readers that there is probably no truth to the rumor that ketchup contains pig blood.

banana ketchup is a staple in pretty much any filipino kitchen(though you don't taste the banana but it's a bit sweeter than heinz ketchup). Thanks for all of your feedback.

• 5 years later...