• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Blizzard Food of 1/05?

Rosie

We had planned to have a small dinner party but it was cancelled early Saturday morning despite purposely calling both couples to make sure they were still coming on Friday before heading out to the butcher. Needless to say I was now stuck with an $80 5lb prime strip loin roast along with 3 lb of shrimp. We had shrimp and a welsh rarebit "fondue" for happy hour. We cut the roast into steaks to eat over the next week or so (I hate frozen meat) and had 2 great strip steaks. I turned my herbed roasted potatoes into hash browns and had an haricot verts and goat cheese salad. Unfortunately our friends were supposed to bring dessert so we were SOL on that front.

We rescheduled the party for 2 weeks from now. Is it rude to ask friends for a credit card number in case of a no show??

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Saturday night:

BBQ'd hamburgers and hot dogs (the kids thought it was hysterical...BBQing in a blizzard)

Homemade mac n cheese

Big salad

Jar of Batampte half sour pickles

Last night

Beer butt chicken

Roasted acorn squash and brussel sprouts

mashed potatotes

homemade buttermilk biscuits

I went to the Garwood ShopRite at about 7 am on Saturday morning. The store opens at 7, and on a normal saturday there'd be 6 or 8 cars in the parking lot waiting for the opening. There must have been 50 cars the other day, and there were 25 people ahead of me when I took a number at the deli counter. I definitely observed the 'end of the world is nigh' approach to what was in people's shopping carts - comfort food, staples, and a lot of snack items.

To their credit, they had called in extra staff, so that while the check out lines were pretty long, they had more open than on a usual saturday morning, and some lines had packers working with the cashiers. I waited 5, maybe 10 minutes to check out.

I skipped the deli in favor of presliced turkey for lunches, bought shrimp and little necks for pasta saturday night, and a chicken and yams to roast for last night.

I went out for the Times yesterday at about 10 and stopped at the Elizabeth shop rite (because it was near the newspaper place, and it was open) - the produce section was unkempt, but the meat and poultry coolers were full, the fish guys were all set up and dairy was well stocked, too. There weren't many people in the store and, given the conditions of the side streets, I doubt many people ventured out if they didn't have to.

I was supposed to be enjoying some Hot Tuna up in Nyack last night. But I chickened out. :angry:

Today I just feel flat as a pancake. :sad:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've been recuperating from a course of chemotherapy during late November and December that really did a number on my ability to eat well - and for Ken (aka the cook) to come up with things I could have. However, things are ALMOST back to normal in the eating department so this weekend Ken made mushroom soup featuring cremini and shitake - and mushroom ravioli (pasta sheets from Kings in Bedminster) with the same shrooms plus reconstituted portobello (he couldn't find the dried porcini the recipe called for). All very tasty. :-)

Ahhhhh my first NJ blizzard. For V and I, it was lamb shanks, braised in Guiness with dumplings. Looks like Lou and I were thinking pretty much the same sort of comfort food for this fucked up weather. Why do I think I'm really going to miss Australian winters :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Saturday I made pork chops with pears. I know I've said before that I don't like fruit in my savory courses, but I'm trying to change that. Pears were a good choice, b/c they're really not that sweet at all. Just glazed with butter & brownsugar, saute'd the pork chops, made a sauce of chicken broth & a bit of balsamic. Potatoes au gratin from a box...DH is in charge of sides, and he can cook less then I can!

Sunday I marinated some chicken breasts in lemon juice, tarragon, and lots of garlic. Saute'd. DH wanted garlic mashed on the side, which, frankly, was overkill on the garlic, but whatever.

Potatoes twice was defiantely comfort food for me. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

made it to Kings with the rest of West Caldwell this AM, was able to pick up a little skirt steak, shrimp, chipotle peppers, and other stuff for fajitas tonight.

Do you always have hummus on hand Rosie?

Either have store bought or cans of beans which I can throw in the food processor. And you?

I love hummus but never tried to make it - and unless you know what you like, the store bought are hit or miss.

When it started snowing, I was renewing my driver's license in Jersey City, so my DH and I decided that we had just enough time to swing by Cinco de Mayo Tacqueria on Central Avenue. Not only did I have a great meal, but I stocked up on their sausages (chorizo or something similar) which I find to be very lean and fresh.

The sausages went into the crockpot with a mess of short ribs from the butcher across my street, olives, raisins, and other stuff to make a very nice stew. I didn't even end up spicing it much more, as the chorizo gave a rich flavor.

I also made a big batch of hummus, but instead of tahini I used the spicy peanut butter from PB&Company in the Village.

We ate the stew for work lunches for a whole week, but didn't get really tired of it! Blizzard magic?

When it started snowing, I was renewing my driver's license in Jersey City, so my DH and I decided that we had just enough time to swing by Cinco de Mayo Tacqueria on Central Avenue. Not only did I have a great meal, but I stocked up on their sausages (chorizo or something similar) which I find to be very lean and fresh.

The sausages went into the crockpot with a mess of short ribs from the butcher across my street, olives, raisins, and other stuff to make a very nice stew. I didn't even end up spicing it much more, as the chorizo gave a rich flavor.

I also made a big batch of hummus, but instead of tahini I used the spicy peanut butter from PB&Company in the Village.

That sounds incredible. Think you can duplicate that? Think you can tell us what the "and other stuff" was?

PB & Co needs to expand outside the village, I could eat Elvis' every day of the week.