• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Fat

steverino

Kevin, do you or anyone else here know if the old McDonald's recipe which included beef fat was pure beef fat or a mixture of, say beef fat/vegetable oil?  I really miss how those fries used to taste.  For the home, cook would a blend of beef/vegetable be the best and not pure beef fat?

Also the part of your last reply that was: "--whether butter, goose, pork, chicken, duck, bacon..."  that line up of delicious fats has me swooning.  :laugh:

Diva,

I remember reading somewhere that McD used tallow as a flavoring in vegetable oil. BTW, According to Jeffrey Steingarten, horse tallow makes the best fries. It's a bit hard to find in this country, though.

The only fat I don't have in my freezer just now is goose -- I haven't cooked one since my last move -- and beef, which it's just never occurred to me to keep. Go figure!<g>

Kevin

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.