• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Bock

oneidaone

Aloha we just bought a nice bottle of the chocolate bock from Sam Adams. Never had it before

and want to know what temperature would be best (I'm thinking slightly chilled but not too

cold). What are some of your experiences? Thanks and a hui ho :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Anyone happen to know where this could be bought in Manhattan? (Girlfriend is 50% of the way there on beer but 100% on chocolate) I tried the 14th street Garden of Eden and a bunch of local bodegas, as well as D&D and Citarella, though they really aren't that good for beer.

Can anyone point me to a thread that shows where to get good or exotic beer in Manhattan? I'm looking for a non-restaurant way to get a continuous, non restaurant, reasonably priced supply of the Hitachino Nest (mostly Red Rice and White) and Unibroue (mostly Fin du Monde) line of products. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone point me to a thread that shows where to get good or exotic beer in Manhattan? I'm looking for a non-restaurant way to get a continuous, non restaurant, reasonably priced supply of the Hitachino Nest (mostly Red Rice and White) and Unibroue (mostly Fin du Monde) line of products. Thanks!

I've been told this one is exceptional:

New Beer Distributors

167 Chrystie St.

New York, New York, 10002-2809

United States

phone: (212) 473-8757

There are lots of reviews and information at: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/user_reviews/2229/

Cheers!

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Aloha we just bought a nice bottle of the chocolate bock from Sam Adams. Never had it before

and want to know what temperature would be best (I'm thinking slightly chilled but not too

cold). What are some of your experiences? Thanks and a hui ho :smile:

I've had this once before and your instincts are right. Cold beers will assault your taste buds so if you are seeking to actually taste beer (as opposed to quaffing it to cool down on a hot day), I find virtually all of the darker beers are much better when only slightly chilled. Make sure you serve it in an unchilled glass as that will impact the flavor as well.

If you like the chocolate bock, you should also try Rogue's Chocolate Stout or Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I wasn't crazy about the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I much prefer those other two. Also, a lot of craft brewers make beers with chocolate so you might want to keep your eyes peeled for examples that might be available in your area.

(If you are really nice to beergirl, she might let you try the Fantome Chocolate. One of the most unique beers I have ever tasted - instead of the bitter chocolate you find in most beers made with chocolate, the Fantome tastes more like malted chocolate.)

(If you are really nice to beergirl, she might let you try the Fantome Chocolate.  One of the most unique beers I have ever tasted - instead of the bitter chocolate you find in most beers made with chocolate, the Fantome tastes more like malted chocolate.)

How did you know that?! Great beer, not imported to the US.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

If you like the chocolate bock, you should also try Rogue's Chocolate Stout or Young's Double Chocolate Stout.  I wasn't crazy about the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and I much prefer those other two.  Also, a lot of craft brewers make beers with chocolate so you might want to keep your eyes peeled for examples that might be available in your area.

The Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is usually excellent too!